mos - timing

orion - spider monkey

Ticon -You Can Have My Fraggies

alien project - Have a nice day

skazi -animal

What do you think about this set?

hmm, i just find it good.

most "older" dj's i know, always told me not to do it,

and the sets i heard with too many tracks from one artist got pretty boring.

if they played live and played the tracks that way, it would not be boring,. but as a dj it just seems to be a lack of skill.

okok, i don't know the two tracks in this case. but generally i don't like it.

that is one thing that would make me dislike the set?

if i heard it, maybe i'd think otherwise?

well ... there are alot of good numbers in it so you will definetilly have a PaRTy :)but for me preparing a set is about putting sounds together and feeling's you get with the song's ----> this will lead to a trance with the people cause you have the same style and sound's in the music ... ofcourse you have to get progress in the set and move over to next stadia in the music but if you "only" got 2 hours than you better choose a particular style or two but don't mix them but try to make a puzzle ... try to find similarities in sound or composition and than put a few numbers together and than put the little groups of song's together in the set ...

still ... you will deffinatily have a PartY :)... good taste ;)

Guest [alchemist]

This is my first time in role of dj...

I am like agent for new songs... But i decied to start myself....

First 2 tracks are same... same melody, samse style... that's for warm up... then 2-3 Tech Trance tracks, i love joti a lot... then tribal... and finaly litle bit of psychedelic...

I do this style mix... because, in yugoslavia there is no many stores where you can buy this style of music... so, all albums and compils are from "pirat" or audiogalaxy...

:))

if it's from an MP3 it won't make any difference... but it depends on the bitrate of the MP3 file.

Maybe try burning to CD and playing f***ing loud through some headphones to see what the sound's like - make sure the bass is as loud as the phones / your ears will handle - the last thing you want is rumble all through your set.

If there are any little pops or whatever think twice - but I don't think it's possible to work round the problem, since it's the source file that might have the problem.

(though of course if everybody's gonna be off their heads, nobody will notice!)

a tip from my side ...

play the high's at 5 past 12

mid's 5 before 12

bass 12 o' or 5 after ...

this way you get a really warm sound and still hear the high's but not the sound's that hurt your ears and makes your db's play in red all the time ... ;)

before you mix adjust every song on the 0-db with your gain knob in the headphone's ... this way all song's will sound equal in volume ... ;)

GOOoooodluck ... . . . . . . . .

Guest [alchemist]

what can i say... thanks a lot..

Bitrate are variable but High, 192-256-320... never under 192 [ near cd quality]

:))

Partys in my town are small, 3000-6000W :))

but, i am near capitol of my country... and i am waiting for my chance!

Guest phaeton

janua, hmm personally i really don't think it's a good idea to cut on midtones when you're playing at a party ... i know the value you're suggesting is probably not that much, but imo nothing's worse than bouncing like a maniac on the dancefloor, having your favourite melodic tune being played and all you can hear is the kickdrum and the hihats :P i personally would boost the bass and mid a bit, and leave the treble as it is ... might be a matter of taste though, and also depends a lot on the soundsystem .. maybe it's a good idea to have someone with good ears check it out for you and give you some advice? anyway .. just my two yurocents :P

mmmmm ... i know what you are trying to say, your right but with big soundsystems the melodies will reach your ears just fine ;) ... like i said ... warm sound, good high's and clean mid's ... but with smaller soundsystem's or worse sound it's alway's good to let hear the melodies and not that enoying over-bassed sound (know what i mean? ... like bvvvvvvvvvvoevvvoeoevvvvvvvvvv :) ha )

so i think we are saying and hearing the same ;) ...

peace

JanUa

Guest phaeton

good then :) it's just that big soundsystems don't always sound great .. there was a rather huge party here in amsterdam a while ago with haldolium and huxflux live and the sound was absolutely _horrible_ .. at times you could hardly recognise the tracks that were being played ... :-/ not sure if better equalising would've helped a lot, but it probably would at least a bit ;) peace 'n good vibes ...

well, I always pitch up the midtones, because the kickdrum becomes louder too!!

;-))

And about the set, should be good, BUTTTTTTT

A dj that makes his set before he plays!? that's no good... You should look to the public and deceide at that moment!!

Bom Shankar!

Anoebis

Guest bugbread

Anoebis, I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree, but only because of one point: it's Alchemist's first show. In general, I agree that selection ahead of time is a bad idea. However, I've only ever DJ'ed once as well. By picking out my songs ahead of time, I got to practice exactly how to mix those tracks, which meant that when I played, everyone later told me how surprised they were that it sounded so good.

I suppose I could have tried mixing on the fly, but I was more interested in making a set that people would enjoy and that wouldn't have any fuckups than a set with no cheating.

However, after the first time, I would recommend you try picking your songs on-the-spot. After all, you don't want it to become a habit : )

(Coincidentally, my set started with two tracks by the same artist - Shpongle. However, since the first track was Saudade (just a long flute solo piece), the sound went together really well and it was more like having an extended intro for song 2)

Guest bugbread

I will make this suggestion, though: If you play two tracks by the same group back-to-back, make sure they aren't from the same album! Unless you have incredible mixing sk1llz, people will think it sounds like they're listening to the album at home on shuffle mode.

Why are you all "boosting" the EQ?

i NEVER do that,, apart from if i feel the track is missing something,

or i use the high to put a damper on the high, if the system is alittle fragile for the high tones.

also , i think making a set before you go, is no good.

make it when you are there.

unless it's a radio show. where there is no real audience.

ok, in this discussion people have done all the things i have always been told NOT TO DO.

Boosting into the red all the time ,, NO!!!!!!!!!! bost the amp and let the mixer be around the green.

much better sound and the speakers and the mixer want break.

the owner of the system will be quite angry with you, if you do this, and he cares about his system.

Guest Slidingtrancer

"it's just that big soundsystems don't always sound great .. there was a rather huge party here in amsterdam a while ago with haldolium and huxflux live and the sound was absolutely _horrible_ .. at times you could hardly recognise the tracks that were being played ... :-/ not sure if better equalising would've helped a lot, but it probably would at least a bit ;)"

One of the first times I actually agree 100 % with ya phaeton, thats why I left the dancefloor when Hux Flux was playing, I couldn't even discern it was hux flux. I think maybe the place was too big for really GOOD sound, but it could have been better. Big spaces in general @!#$ up sound...!!!

I like small parties with reasonable soundsystems and a great atmosphere, I just had difficulties these last few months, didnt make that many parties.. ( I know its a shame :D ) I flunked all my exams, my grandma past away, my computer is still being fixed from a nervous breakdown. I lost my song for the contest as well.

*sings along with Tori Amos' 'Pretty Good Year'*

Anyway, don't make a set. If you'd like make a selection of the first track, one in the middle and the last one. Remember to leave the crowd stunned with your last!

I really like most of the songs you chose, they are really kicking songs, and they are well placed, going from minimal to full on.

I usually dont like to play two songs from the same artist one after another, but if they are good, and you are confident in them, why not?

Plur