Lost Season 5 is finally here!

Lemmiwinks

ok mr Einstein then explain this: how can one group of plane survivors be in one timespace and the other group in another? And how can Ben be alive "now" when he was killed in 1977? And, for the time-shifts to stop didn't they ALL have to return to the island? Not to mention that Richard Alpert's carachter doesn't make any sense at ALL since he's apparently immortal but doesn't seem to know more than Ben? It just doesn't make any sense anymore...

Hehheh

Well, apparently he did not die and the real culprits who made ben the way he are... Kate, Sayid, Sawyer and Jack... this season is truly going to places.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go some seasons back and remember how many things didn't make sense back then, but now they have already been explained.

Be patient and everything will be explained. Don't forget that we have one more full season. ;)

well that's exactly my problem... they convinently skip the intriguing questions that need explaining, or give an explanation that isn't really one. Let's take a question that was there from the pilot episode: WHAT THE HELL IS THE SMOKE MONSTER??? You will probably reply "they've already explained that: it is a defense system..." but that doesn't really explain much, does it? Just how does it work, why does it "choose" to kill some people and just scare off others? who put it there in the first place? etc.

I could fill like 3 pages with other questions (polar bears, why does the "gate" appear in Tunisia but is also present in the Arctic?, just what is that pirate ship where Danielle lived doing there?, what is the link between the mysterious button that had to be pushed every 3 hours and the island? etc...)

well that's exactly my problem... they convinently skip the intriguing questions that need explaining, or give an explanation that isn't really one. Let's take a question that was there from the pilot episode: WHAT THE HELL IS THE SMOKE MONSTER??? You will probably reply "they've already explained that: it is a defense system..." but that doesn't really explain much, does it? Just how does it work, why does it "choose" to kill some people and just scare off others? who put it there in the first place? etc.

I could fill like 3 pages with other questions (polar bears, why does the "gate" appear in Tunisia but is also present in the Arctic?, just what is that pirate ship where Danielle lived doing there?, what is the link between the mysterious button that had to be pushed every 3 hours and the island? etc...)

The smoke monster will be fully explained according to Lindelof.

About the pirate ship I think it has already explained in an internet 'game' they made some years ago. Plus there's nothing to really explain IMO. It's possibly just a pirate ship that crashed years ago in the island.

The time travels they introduced in the fifth season can and will explain a lot of things. For example the role of Widmore (remember the episode with Locke?), about Danielle Roussaeu and her crew, etc.

One of the things they never talked about is the statue foot. Well they mentioned in the fifth season, which means they didn't forget it.

One more proof that they know what they're doing is that in some episodes you go back in an incident that happened some episodes ago and watch some extra time of it.

I refuse to believe that they just decide to change something and then rebuilt the whole set, clothing, etc, just to shoot some more extra seconds.

The more recent example is

the one with the oceanic survivors at the bay, when Sun is threating Ben with a gun. In episode 10 you can actually watch the ending of that scene.

They have already shoot it, but decided to show it some epuisodes later. That's a proof that they have everything in mind. ;)

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on finale? Oh my god. The most epic thing I've ever witnessed.

You mean the final episode of season 5?

You watched it?

Please no spoilers! Plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOST 4 ETERNITY!!! MUTHAFUCKERZ!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

GODDAMNIT!!!! That must have been the most frustrating season finale EVER!!!!! So I guess we'll have to wait another year to see how it all ends :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That said, I'm getting more and more the feeling that the creators are just introducing gimick after gimick to keep the audience interested. Once you think of it, none of it really makes sense anymore and I'm starting to really hate the way they always raise more questions than answers...

GODDAMNIT!!!! That must have been the most frustrating season finale EVER!!!!! So I guess we'll have to wait another year to see how it all ends :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I haven't seen the finale yet, but we have one FULL season ahead us.

We know it, you know it and the writers know it.

Did you expect to see how it ends in the finale of this season?

I haven't seen the finale yet, but we have one FULL season ahead us.

We know it, you know it and the writers know it.

Did you expect to see how it ends in the finale of this season?

well you see, that is the frustrating part: every season the producers promise to "answer the questions" in the next seasons. For example in the opening of the 5th season, Lindelof said that starting the 5th season, fans will finally get more answers than questions... that never happened, I'm still as confused (or even more) than after season 4!!! I mean, it's been 5 freakin seasons already and we're no closer to knowing what the smoke monster is or what the polar bears did there (BTW, did you all notice that there weren't any polar bears on the island in 1977?). We're running out of seasons here... I suspect Lindelof's secret goal is to have people so interested that the production company will agree for a 7th, 8th season an so on. This isn't funny anymore :angry:

well you see, that is the frustrating part: every season the producers promise to "answer the questions" in the next seasons. For example in the opening of the 5th season, Lindelof said that starting the 5th season, fans will finally get more answers than questions... that never happened, I'm still as confused (or even more) than after season 4!!! I mean, it's been 5 freakin seasons already and we're no closer to knowing what the smoke monster is or what the polar bears did there (BTW, did you all notice that there weren't any polar bears on the island in 1977?). We're running out of seasons here... I suspect Lindelof's secret goal is to have people so interested that the production company will agree for a 7th, 8th season an so on. This isn't funny anymore :angry:

Oh come one Lemmi. The fifth season answered a LOT of the Lost mysteries! IMO both 4 and 5 seasons were the ones who explained stuff, where 1, 2 and 3 were the ones who created mysteries. It's like split in half.

Now I don't think that Lindeloff wants a 7th season. He's the one who wanted six seasons in the first place. The producers won't have a problem with more seasons, since Lost is still popular in both US and (especially) around the world, so more seasons means more money for them.

Now about polar bears. They weren't very common in the first seasons either, right?

Anyway, you're dealing with THE biggest LOST fanboy ever here, so my opinion doesn't count after all.

LOST!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I would have to say that you always needs to take what writers/producers say with a grain of salt. They can't say too much or then a lot of things get spoiled and people get angry and whatnot.

But the next season is a definite last season. We know that for sure. If they resinded on that fact, then I would be pretty annoyed (or overjoyed that it keeps going as long as it's somewhat good/entertaining to watch).

This season did answer a lot of questions but it also raised more questions (as usual); especially questions for the next season.

There have been theories/speculation going around about what exactly the smoke monster is. It definitely has to be tied to Jacob somehow, that is for certain (in my mind). As for the polar bear... that one is kind of iffy. I guess the polar bear was a by-product of the time flashes going on when the wheel was out of sync. But we don't know for sure.

Some questions never get answered and maybe sometimes it's better that way. Kinda adds to the flavor of the show.

I like this season's finale. Though it did seem to drag on for a bit, they probably could have fit it all in one hour and made it better but who knows.

I just watched the finale and....

Thoughts on finale? Oh my god. The most epic thing I've ever witnessed.

+ eternity

That was THE best finale ever.

I see it. I see it coming. I can feel it inside my head. In one year from now, when season six will end, we will have witnessed something divine.

Since I watched the season's finale yesterday I cannot stop thinking of different theories about the story.

I slept only 3 hours because of the thinking and now I'm in work and I can barely stand. :D

My theories are too many and too complicate to write them down, but here is one that I thought this morning.

The enemy of Jacob (who I'm gonna call the entity) that we see in the finale beginning can manifest in the real world only by taking the bodies of people who have died outside the island. The only one who has died outside the island (expect Locke) is Christian, Jack's father. The entity took Christian's form and fooled Locke (by saying that he speaks behalf of Jacob) to move the island.

By moving the island Locke triggered all the events we saw in season 5. The entity's goal was Locke to return to the island dead. Why Locke?

Locke has already been the leader of the Others before he talks with Christian iirc. The only person who knew where Jacob really lives is Richard. (Since we see that the Jacob doesn't live in the cabin in a long time, but only Richard knows that).

Richard will show the Jacob's real place only to the Other's leader which is Locke. Be revealing the place to Locke the entity will finally confronts Jacob and kills him.

When Locke's corpse returned to the island, he took his form. Then he told Richard to tell to the future-Locke that he has to die to save the island (in the scene where Richard removes the bullet from Locke's leg). By this way he ensures that the real Locke will die outside the island. Also having Locke convince the other survivors to return he ensures that the ''incident'' will happen 30 years ago (like Miles said the detonation of the bomb is the ''incident'') so their plane will crash so Locke would be among them.

So the phrase tha the entity says to Jacob ''and you can't believe what I've been through'' or something like that means all of that.

Possibly Jacob's last phrase ''they're coming'' he means Jack, Sawyer etc. and how after they did the part for the ''incident'' they will return to the normal timeline and try to stop the entity. (But the entity would know that since he's the one who ''send'' them back.

Of course my theory is full of holes and the more I think of it, the more holes it has.

ex.

1. Why the entity can only possess bodies of people that died outside the island?

2. He didn't really possess Locke's body, since it is inside the box, but Christian's coffin was empty.

3. Why tells Locke to move the island, since he could convince him to simply leave the island and die? (If we suppose tha Locke would do anything Jacob-''the island'' would say). But I think I already answered to that, so he can ensure that the other Oceanic survivors will return to the island 30 years ago to trigger the ''incident'' which will eventually crash their plane.

4. Why don't convince Ben or Widmore to die outside the island since they also were leaders so Richard could show them Jacob's true location? Maybe because they didn't have that faith to the island?

5. Why the entity put Ben to kill Jacob?

6. The final reason that my theory is crap. In season 5 Sun and Lipidus encounter Christian in the Dharma's abandoned village. But Locke has already been ressurected. I doubt that the entity would possess two bodies so my whole theory is false.

But this is exactly what I love in Lost. It makes the viewers to think, to imagine, something only great mysteries do.

This is why I love it, this is why I always love it. :wub:

BTW something that many ppl don't know. Lindelof is a huge fan of Alan's Moore Watchmen. He actually thinks that Watchmen is the best thing ever written in the fiction field.

Everyone which is familiar with the Watchmen knows that it's a story very complicated, with different characters, that shifts from the past to the present and has an end that connects the whole individual stories into something that makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure that Lindelof was inspired from Watchmen, this is why I have so much faith that the end of Lost will be simply perfect.

not bad Ormion, your theory sure beats mine anyway: that the producers have but a vague general idea of how all this will end and that they make it up as they go along (like for example I'm convinced that the whole "anti-Jacob" carachter was just thought up during season 5 since absolutely no clue whatsoever is given about him until the season finale..).

BUT, more than possible ways of resolving the plot, I would like some answers to already existing outstanding questions:

1. What is the smoke monster?

2. What are polar bears doing on a tropical island?

3. Why is Widmore filthy rich?

4. Why exactly did Danielle never "mix" with the guys from the Dharma initiative nor with The Others

5. Why do The Others seem so mean and nasty at some times and look like "good guys" on other occasions?

6. What the hell is this Richard Alpert carachter and why does he know so little when he's been around since Egyptian times?

7. What does Hurley's number sequence have to do with anything?

8. Why couldn't the women on the island bare babies?

9. Why can Eloise appear in dreams as well as in real life?

10. What ever happened to Claire?

9. Just what happened to Ben in the temple? BTW if your theory is true Ormion, then shouldn't the entity control Ben from the beginning since he was dying?

10. If your theory is correct Ormion, then Jacob was basically seeding his undoing all along when visiting the Lost crew during past events?

Subsidiary question: What happened to Ben's bunny rabbit???

not bad Ormion, your theory sure beats mine anyway: that the producers have but a vague general idea of how all this will end and that they make it up as they go along (like for example I'm convinced that the whole "anti-Jacob" carachter was just thought up during season 5 since absolutely no clue whatsoever is given about him until the season finale..).

BUT, more than possible ways of resolving the plot, I would like some answers to already existing outstanding questions:

1. What is the smoke monster?

2. What are polar bears doing on a tropical island?

3. Why is Widmore filthy rich?

4. Why exactly did Danielle never "mix" with the guys from the Dharma initiative nor with The Others

5. Why to The Others seem so mean and nasty at some times and look like "good guys" on other occasions?

6. What the hell is this Richard Alpert carachter and why does he know so little when he's been around since Egyptian times?

7. What does the number sequence have to do with anything?

8. Why couldn't the women on the island bare babies?

9. Why can Eloise appear in dreams as well as in real life?

10. What ever happened to Claire?

9. Just what happened to Ben in the temple? BTW if your theory is true Ormion, then shouldn't the entity control Ben from the beginning since he was dying?

10. If your theory is correct Ormion, then Jacob was basically seeding his undoing all along when visiting the Lost crew during past events?

Subsidiary question: What happened to Ben's bunny rabbit???

Well there are many different theories about all of them. I'm sure you know lostpedia right?

If you like Lost you definitely must visit it, it has everything. Possible theories, character extensive bios, producers' statements, even the decoded translations of the whispers appear in the jungle.

I spend three hours reading the site and I just realize that my theory is already posted in Christian's Shepherd bio. :D

But no, I don't believe my theory is correct. Many, many holes like the onew you mentioned.

You can lost yourself in this site and see how many different theories that fans have. I'm sure you have some yourself, that's the great thing with Lost.

BTW do you remember some posts ago you asked about the pirate ship? Well there it was in the finale. :D Personally

I believe that Richard is one of the ship's passengers.

But one of the thing that strike me the most is this: I think in season 3 there was a Locke's flashback that show Locke as a child and Richard visit him to see if he was really special. I always wondered how Richard knew about Locke in the first place.

Well in season 5 we see why. Locke visited Richard in the past (thanks to the time travelling) making Richard curious and that's why he eventually visits him. (Richard said that himself to Jack in the finale).

This is one the examples that make me believe that even two years ago the writters had a plan and not just write random things and believe in luck.

Plus the more I think of it, the more I believe that they thought of the time travels at least 2 seasons back.

Well there are many different theories about all of them. I'm sure you know lostpedia right?

If you like Lost you definitely must visit it, it has everything. Possible theories, character extensive bios, producers' statements, even the decoded translations of the whispers appear in the jungle.

I spend three hours reading the site and I just realize that my theory is already posted in Christian's Shepherd bio. :D

But no, I don't believe my theory is correct. Many, many holes like the onew you mentioned.

You can lost yourself in this site and see how many different theories that fans have. I'm sure you have some yourself, that's the great thing with Lost.

BTW do you remember some posts ago you asked about the pirate ship? Well there it was in the finale. :D Personally

I believe that Richard is one of the ship's passengers.

But one of the thing that strike me the most is this: I think in season 3 there was a Locke's flashback that show Locke as a child and Richard visit him to see if he was really special. I always wondered how Richard knew about Locke in the first place.

Well in season 5 we see why. Locke visited Richard in the past (thanks to the time travelling) making Richard curious and that's why he eventually visits him. (Richard said that himself to Jack in the finale).

This is one the examples that make me believe that even two years ago the writters had a plan and not just write random things and believe in luck.

Plus the more I think of it, the more I believe that they thought of the time travels at least 2 seasons back.

nah I find that I've... lost (*wink wink*) enough time speculating on it all already (reminds me the hours/days/nights/weeks I've spent speculating on Twin Peaks and X-Files to no avail). The thing is that not many people realize that these shows are made DYNAMICLY, they constantly change the script according to the feedback from the audience, that's just how series are made. For example the producers had to kill off Paulo and that Razzle Dazzle chick because fans didn't like them. If it wasn't for a negative reaction from fans then they would've probably kept them and made them part of the main plot. On the other hand, if a major plot is uncovered through speculations or "leakage", then the producers will have to abandon it and think of something else, otherwise fans would be like "hey, we already knew about that years ago". And so on. So I'm sorry but the hard truth is that this is all made as they go along and not much is fixed in advance, if not for a general scheme for the ending (and which is constantly subject to review in case of "leakage").

Now you always talk about "planning things" in former episodes which are revealed later, well most of those "explanations" are unsatisfactory at best. Like for example we see Danielle arrive on the island. So the average Lost fan is happy saying "now we finally know". My question is just what DO we know?? We saw her somehow drift to the island with part of the crew and realized that a fight happened that tore them apart. But WE ALREADY KNEW THAT!!! How did she get to the transmission tower, what was the plan behind recording that message, and why in French when she knew English, why wasn't it detected and removed by the others, especially considering that they had all that fancy radio equipment, now THOSE are question that I would've liked to be answered...

but anyway I guess I'll be watching Season 6 if only to have peace of mind of finally knowing how it all ended ;)

PS Did you know that Richard Alpert's name is taken from a real person and that he used to collaborate with Tim Leary on his early researches with psychedellics? Maybe that's a hint that none of this is real and it's just happening in someone's mind (I suspect Hurley's)?

nah I find that I've... lost (*wink wink*) enough time speculating on it all already (reminds me the hours/days/nights/weeks I've spent speculating on Twin Peaks and X-Files to no avail). The thing is that not many people realize that these shows are made DYNAMICLY, they constantly change the script according to the feedback from the audience, that's just how series are made. For example the producers had to kill off Paulo and that Razzle Dazzle chick because fans didn't like them. If it wasn't for a negative reaction from fans then they would've probably kept them and made them part of the main plot. On the other hand, if a major plot is uncovered through speculations or "leakage", then the producers will have to abandon it and think of something else, otherwise fans would be like "hey, we already knew about that years ago". And so on. So I'm sorry but the hard truth is that this is all made as they go along and not much is fixed in advance, if not for a general scheme for the ending (and which is constantly subject to review in case of "leakage").

Now you always talk about "planning things" in former episodes which are revealed later, well most of those "explanations" are unsatisfactory at best. Like for example we see Danielle arrive on the island. So the average Lost fan is happy saying "now we finally know". My question is just what DO we know?? We saw her somehow drift to the island with part of the crew and realized that a fight happened that tore them apart. But WE ALREADY KNEW THAT!!! How did she get to the transmission tower, what was the plan behind recording that message, and why in French when she knew English, why wasn't it detected and removed by the others, especially considering that they had all that fancy radio equipment, now THOSE are question that I would've liked to be answered...

but anyway I guess I'll be watching Season 6 if only to have peace of mind of finally knowing how it all ended ;)

PS Did you know that Richard Alpert's name is taken from a real person and that he used to collaborate with Tim Leary on his early researches with psychedellics? Maybe that's a hint that none of this is real and it's just happening in someone's mind (I suspect Hurley's)?

The great thing about Lost is that not everything must be fully explained. You're trying to understand anything, Any little detail. I'm sorry but having the writters to explain to me how Danielle got to the tower station would be lame. Every mythology of any kind (cause Lost is a mythology) has unanswered questions, this is what makes mythologies so great.

I guess you are one of the guys that wants every little thing to fully explained. Like the polar bears. I find much more intriguing the fact that after the first appearance of the polar bear we see Walt reading a comic book with a polar bear. In that way the viewer is making theories in his mind about that fact, especially when later we found out about Walt's powers. Now think how LAME would be if the writters would explained to us word by word that ''Walt has psionic powers, the he read the comic book, then subconciously he created the polar bear''. What are we retards? From the first episode Lost was a series that made the viewer to think, to imagine, to try to reveal the mystery. It was never a show of full answers.

The best thrillers in cinema and literature are the ones that don't reveal everything or try to explain everything. Everybody knows that. It's the rule.

Keep some of the mystery for the audience.

Personally I won't be surprised if the end of the sixth season ain't that revealing. I hope not to be 100% revealing. The must leave something. This is how great myths live.

About the fact that shows are made dynamicly. Everybody knows that man, simply because EVERYTHING is made dynamicly. Series, plots, books anything!

No one said that Lindelof and Lieber wrote full six seasons from the start. No one said that they had thought of Jacob since the first episode.

Not only this is impossible, but it's illogical! What if Lost wasn't succesful and they had to end it in three seasons instead of six? OF COURSE they adapted the script, of course they indroduced new characters, of course they changed things.

It's like writing music. You start from somewhere and the ideas keep coming.

That's completelly different from what you say, though. You're saying that they write almost random things, without any planning. If this would happen you'd realized it a long time ago, cause NONE would make sense.

And I'm glad you mentioned Twin Peaks, which was a great show, but Lynch himself revealed later that he didn't have any plan at all and we realized that when they show ended without any explanation.

Although I too loved Twin Peaks for making me think, even if the mysteries never been explained. They still live in the minds of the fans, though. This is why Twin Peaks is a legend today :)

That's all I have to say. We talk again in some months when season six is out. :P

The best part were the last 3 seconds, LOST as black and background as white. Holy shit.

I love the fact that I never even noticed they did that :D

It's details like this, along with everything that Ormion has already said, that makes this show amazing. People always seem so surprised I still watch the show, always saying they gave up because nothing got answered, but I'm with Ormion, if they gave you all the answers it would just be crap. It's the joy of attempting to work things out for yourself that gives it that extra oomph

e: just to clarify, of course I realised they put the Lost as black on a white bg, but I didn't understand until right this minute that it actually meant something

I love the fact that I never even noticed they did that :D

It's details like this, along with everything that Ormion has already said, that makes this show amazing. People always seem so surprised I still watch the show, always saying they gave up because nothing got answered, but I'm with Ormion, if they gave you all the answers it would just be crap. It's the joy of attempting to work things out for yourself that gives it that extra oomph

Hehe exactly like my friends. I guess they wanted a typical good vs bad story, they never gaze any deeper.

e: just to clarify, of course I realised they put the Lost as black on a white bg, but I didn't understand until right this minute that it actually meant something

What do you think it means?

well we've had the whole black vs white right the way throughout every season so far, and suddenly they've switched the forces, presumably due to the supposed death of jacob, who would represent I don't know what so.... I mean probably it means nothing, but again it's one of those lovely little elements that makes you go 'ahhhh'

well we've had the whole black vs white right the way throughout every season so far, and suddenly they've switched the forces, presumably due to the supposed death of jacob, who would represent I don't know what so.... I mean probably it means nothing, but again it's one of those lovely little elements that makes you go 'ahhhh'

Hmm never thought of it that way. I think it serves as some kind of turning point or the end of one chapter and going to a new chapter. All the more reason I can't wait until 2010.