What the hell is 4/4???!!!!

Guest Quazzi

So i sometimes see people talking about 4/4. Does it mean 4 beats in a cycle or something like that? Are there tracks that are not 4/4? Could you give me good examples?

I haven't been able to sleep because of this. Please help me !!!!!!

Thanks. :-)

Guest Daniel

I don't know if I'm 100% correct but in the music world this is what 4/4 means:

4/4: is 4 counts in a measure, and a quarter note gets 1 count

Guest DeeperNETWERK

4/4 is a time signature... How many beats (quarter notes), in a measure. Most "boom boom boom boom" is 4/4... Great example of other time signatures is shpongle. Posford changes up a lot, which makes shpongle stand out for many. Just listen to 'Monster Hit', or 'DMT'. Count on the accent, and you'll find it switching between 3/4, and 4/4. ....And I will add, that's very hard to pull off... Also, 'My Head Feels Like A Frisbee'.

4/4 is what most western style (pop/rock/dance) is in. You go to eastern, they seems to be a bit more diverse.... You can make a time signature anything you want, it's just a matter of actually being able to play it.

Guest PsyKick

I can add a few things...

The first number of the signature stands for the number of pulsations within the measure.

Netwerk is right: 90% of eatsern music is 4/4. 3/4 is also used for waltz and 2/2 for latin music (samba, salsa, etc). 6/8 is also very popular in classical music.

The second number stands for the notes that will fill that beat.

1: Is a whole note

2: Is a half note

4: Is a forth note

8: is a eight note

And so on.

BTW, monster hit from shpongle is a 5/4 which is very odd... but very well done. There is also a few weird things going on in divine moment of truth: the song starts with a 4/4 with triplets (beat divided by 3) and then when the drum enters it slowly switches to 3/4 with 16th notes (beat divided by 4). This is called a rythmic modulation and this one is very well done! (and very psychedelic also) This is possible because 4 beats divided in 3 = 12 divisions and 3 beats divided in 4 also = 12 divisions =)

Guest DeeperNETWERK

"Netwerk is right: 90% of eatsern music is 4/4. 3/4 is also used for waltz and 2/2 for latin music (samba, salsa, etc). 6/8 is also very popular in classical music."

Western... Western is mainly 4/4, not eastern.

Guest Pandable

Technically, you can make any time signature you want. And I'm doing 7/5 =p

It'll probably come out as crap, and I wont end up uploading it... it's more of an experiment for me.

Guest spacemonkey

it still don't fully understand.

i always thought i knew something about it,although i knew it wasn't the full deal.

but if the first number is the number of pulsations within the measure.

and the second number stands for the notes that will fill that beat.

how can there be 64 notes in only 7 measures?

and why not 5?

Guest psyfi

"how can there be 64 notes in only 7 measures?"

well, i'm not an expert but i think 7/64 means that you got 7 beats per measure, each only 1/64 in duration.

Guest Pandable

The second number cant be five because there are no 5th notes. You've got 8th notes, 16th notes, 32nd notes, all the way down to 128th notes theoretically... but no 5th notes.

Guest perro andaluz

No, there are quintuplets! and artificial subdivisions like triplets (3), quintuplets (5), etc, . You can have whole note triplets or sixteenth note quintuplets, etc. But the bottom number of a meter signature can only be 1,2,4,8,16,32,64, 128,356 (bizarre but doable), etc. For artificial subdivision you can use indian syllables used in tabla in order to make it easier> Ta Ka Ta Ki Te (5), Ta Ka Di Mi Ta Ki Te (7), etc. The deal with these is that each subdivision has to be or equal size. Confused??? You'll need to study music in order to get this!!!

Guest soliptic

>>> BTW, monster hit from shpongle is a 5/4 which is very odd... but very well done. There is also a few weird things going on in divine moment of truth: the song starts with a 4/4 with triplets (beat divided by 3) and then when the drum enters it slowly switches to 3/4 with 16th notes (beat divided by 4). This is called a rythmic modulation and this one is very well done! (and very psychedelic also) This is possible because 4 beats divided in 3 = 12 divisions and 3 beats divided in 4 also = 12 divisions

Hehehe... i love posford's beat-morphing

one of my favourites is in "frisbee" (i think!), where he is running 4/4 with a triplet feel, and then "pulls" the hi hats / synths on the triplet quavers slightly earlier and earlier until they become semiquaver-semiquaver quaver. so its a subtle morph - it is keeping in 4/4, and staying with three hihats to every one kick drum (one with the kick, two in between each kick), but just by moving where the two "in between" ones are, it pulls it from a loping 6/8ish sort of feel, to a really militant, marching 4/4 feel.

Sorry for the terrible explanation - it would be much easier if i could just notate the music in this box :)

Guest PsyKick

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. He uses the same trick in the hallucinogen track called horrorgram isnt?

Pretty cool... and psychedelic =)

Perro Andaluz, Soliptic and PsyKick...

..is 5/4 same as quintuplets?

..and is 3/4 same as triplets?

Doesn't Horrorgram start with 3/4 and then slowly "slide" to 4/4?