Please help a noob!

Ov3rdos3

Following up on my previous thread, where I got some nice tips, I want to ask if anyone could help me with a few more questions I have with regards to Fruityloops 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Kicks

How does one get a sweet compressed psy kick. I am aware of adding the kick to an FX channel and using the compression filter, but for some reason, it dont sound much different. Could someone explain to me in retard terms how to create a nice compressed kick? Is there a good vst for this?

Percussion

My percussion sounds flat and boring. What is a good sequence for percussion and making it sound a bit cool as opposed to crap. What VST is good for psy percussion? any tips guys?

Thanks very much! You guys helped a lot with my previous questions.

Evan.

compression is a tricky one, and pretty boring stuff imo

It is not an FX that alters the sound, it only influences the volume level. You could also call it an automated volume dynamic.

imo, you need to play your music at loud volume in order to tweak this properly.

The fruityloops standard compressors are pretty good, compressors need to be basic. i like to have alot of bling & bells on other sound-altering FX, but not for compressors, 3 or 4 buttoned comp VST's are often the best ones.

Threshold= a roll-in point for the compressor, in Db.

ratio= this is the relation between the amount of db added and the treshold. So 1:1 will have no effect. Maybe this is why it doesn't sound different :D hehe

attack= how fast does the compressor react.

mostly ratio is between 2:1 to 4:1 for trance, then you play around with treshold & attack, + decay, release etc, if you have them on the compressor you're using. But Treshold, ratio & attack are the basics of a compressor.

compression is a tricky one, and pretty boring stuff imo

It is not an FX that alters the sound, it only influences the volume level. You could also call it an automated volume dynamic.

imo, you need to play your music at loud volume in order to tweak this properly.

The fruityloops standard compressors are pretty good, compressors need to be basic. i like to have alot of bling & bells on other sound-altering FX, but not for compressors, 3 or 4 buttoned comp VST's are often the best ones.

Threshold= a roll-in point for the compressor, in Db.

ratio= this is the relation between the amount of db added and the treshold. So 1:1 will have no effect. Maybe this is why it doesn't sound different :D hehe

attack= how fast does the compressor react.

mostly ratio is between 2:1 to 4:1 for trance, then you play around with treshold & attack, + decay, release etc, if you have them on the compressor you're using. But Treshold, ratio & attack are the basics of a compressor.

Thanks dude, I will play around with that.

One more question though...

In Fruity, I have seen a very cool shortcut done, but dunno how to do it.

In the Piano Roll, Ive seen a guy put 3 blocks down for the bassline, then select the blocks (they go red), then shorten all the notes authomatically. He can shorten them up and down. Other than do this manually, i dont know how to do this...

I think it's done with holding either shift or control while dragging.

shift while click & drag = keep the start position and make all selected notes longer/shorter

control while click & drag= enlange the whole sequence.

Also, check if you grid is set to bars, There is a small choicebox in the top of your screen, called "snap" i think, set it to bars, so when you create or change midibars it will automatically lock to a full bar.

I think it's done with holding either shift or control while dragging.

shift while click & drag = keep the start position and make all selected notes longer/shorter

control while click & drag= enlange the whole sequence.

Also, check if you grid is set to bars, There is a small choicebox in the top of your screen, called "snap" i think, set it to bars, so when you create or change midibars it will automatically lock to a full bar.

Just to correct this:

alt while click & drag = keep the start position and make all selected notes longer/shorter

shift while click & drag= enlange the whole sequence.

You can use shift to select individual notes and then make changes to only those notes.

Also,

You can hold alt and press the left or right key to move the selected notes very accurately by the timeline.

Or you can hold shift and press left or right to move them by the currently selected measure (the snap to grid thingy)