Your deepest influences

frozen dream

can't believe i forgot to mention nirvana, that was a huge influence, i've been into grunge for quite a while but can't remember any groups or tracks... all that springs to my mind is 'you know you're right' from nirvana, one of their greatest tracks.

still, that Miro song in the first post sums it all up pretty nice.

Melancholic/nostalgic ALL the way

Squarepusher - Journey to Reedham (7 a.m. mix)

My deepest influences eh?

Well, to start off, the first cd I ever receieve was U2 - Pop which I liked a lot. To this day, U2 is still one of my favorite bands. Although, I haven't given them a good listen in awhile.

Other early influences that still hang around are Depeche Mode, VNV Nation, and Nine Inch Nails. Other than that, influences I had were whatever I heard on the radio. Which was usually tuned to a rock n roll station.

In more recent times, when I started getting into techno/trance, I liked Oakenfold, DJ Tiesto, and other class-acts. It wasn't really until a few years ago that I've floated away from those and really into psy/goa and such. It started with Astral Projection and Infected Mushroom (big surprise there); then Shpongle, Entheogenic, Aphex Twin (I still looked at other electronica as you can see), and others.

Around the same time, I've actually developed a taste for hip-hop as well. My little brother had been listening to hip-hop years before I started liking it but it eventually had grown on me and now I don't blatantly stereotype it anymore like I used to. It was Aesop Rock that pulled me into hip-hop more than any other artist. Closesly followed by Atmosphere, Sage Francis, and others. I also like to delve more into trip-hop since it's like a blend of genres that makes come out fairly good if you find the right stuff. Well, almost any genre sounds good if you find high quality goodness.

Now-a-days, I still listen to rock n roll, but only when I'm driving around in a car. While I'm at home, I'm usually listening to psytrance, goa, ambient and all the works. I ocassionally listen to other genres but right now i'm in a trance fix.

• 1 year later...

just got the full quality version of miro - purple moon, and played it so loud my head almost split! :P man i'd love to hear this on a 50k system with 50.000 ppl jumping their pants off!!! :D

if you're talking bout the deepest influences just on music

then i guess it'll be

Roxette - Joyride

:)

my first love that i eventually got on Cassette for a birthday or something hehe

omg lol be ASHAMED :D i remember when that song was all over the channels, i was a little younger than when i first heard purple moon so i still kinda liked it :P only the break in it is kinda cool actually

The music that left the biggest impression on me was De-loused in the Comatoriam, The Mars Volta's debut album. :) Every track is perfect... Can't explain the album, you just have to listen it. It's also very psychedelic.

Second would be Nick Drake (all 3 albums) and a song called 'Star Slight' by At the Drive-In.Star Slight is only 1 minute and 20 seconds long, but it left a very big impression on me for some strange reason.

For electronic music It's harder.. Probably The Messenger by Jörg On Mushroom. :)

Guest nectarios

Psy-trance wise, the people I still listen to today and have influenced me a great deal.

Tristan

Kox Box

X-Dream

The Delta

Spirallianz

Transwave

MWNN (Sly Ed!!)

Total Eclipse

Etnica

Deedrah (Le Hazard era)

Slinky Wizard

Bubling Loons (MMM - Desire remix!!)

Man Made Man (Lunar Lamas!!)

Shakta

Cosmosis

Logic Bomb

Hux Flux (Errorhead!!)

Tranan (Cluedo!!)

Atmos (when he was making tunes like So Nice You Named It Twice)

GBU (La Caixa!!)

Serge/Antidote

Simon

Other:

Miles Davis

John Coltrane

Carlos Santana

Joao Gilberto

Carlos Jobim

Stan Getz

Nina Simone

Michael Jackson (Thriller era)

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Johnnie Cash

NIN

RHCP

Soundgarden

Helmet

Pearl Jam

Alice In Chains

Faith No More

Nirvana

Temple Of The Dog

Stone Temple Pilots

QOTSA

to name but a few...

mostly "eurodance"... little did I know back then that most eurodance was made by classic trance producers who wanted to reach a higher audience, so in a way I guess I can say that I've always been into trance music since it's roots ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfdkKYHlZp4

(had absolutley no idea at the time that Jam & Spoon were among the pioneers of the trance scene...)

Later on, like most people living around these parts I was a huge Thunderdome fan, not necessarily because the music was so great but because it was the most widely available "underground" scene around here. That said, I still enjoy some of it from time to time ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0XyzRCaKUs

The music that left the biggest impression on me was De-loused in the Comatoriam, The Mars Volta's debut album. :) Every track is perfect... Can't explain the album, you just have to listen it. It's also very psychedelic.

Second would be Nick Drake (all 3 albums) and a song called 'Star Slight' by At the Drive-In.Star Slight is only 1 minute and 20 seconds long, but it left a very big impression on me for some strange reason.

For electronic music It's harder.. Probably The Messenger by Jörg On Mushroom. :)

MMM Yess. Mars Volta But the one that moves me most is Frances the Mute.