Explaination of Goa/Psy Vs. [Regular] Trance

meh Digitaria isn't really representative of goa/ psytrance IMO... might as well play some Texas Fagott while you're at it ;)

dunno

tiesto aint representative for regular trance as well imo ;)

but digitaria has all the elements of the goa sound (ok, it's not a quality release, but clichés and contrasting works good for identification/recognition most of the time ;) )

I have a friend who is versed in "electronic" music and he commonly lumps most electronic "trance" into one genre. I have been trying to explain to him what the differences are between that of normal trance [i.e. progressive, anthem, dream, hard, tech, etc...] and goa/psy and I've fallen short. Even providing clear examples of the music, ranging from that of the 90's and more modern, and he fails to recognize the difference. If you had to summarize goa/psy sounds, layering, instruments, meoldy/harmony, etc... and the like, how would you explain the differences? I mean maybe I'm biased as to the discernable differences between the sub-genres of trance, but how would you describe it? I've tried explaining on a very musically technical level pertaining to beat, scale harmonics, etc.. but that just washes over him as he isn't musically trained. He loves the music I give him, but he doesn't really understand the nuance. How would you explain the differentiable sound to someone who isn't as understanding of the sub-genres of trance? Let me know how you'd best let someone like this understand the differences. Thanks in advance.

If your friend cant tell the difference between Goa/Psy and club trance maybe he needs his hearing checked.