V/A - Versus Galaxy

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Versus Galaxy

Label: Hypergate Records

Release: March, 2008

1. Sidhartha vs. Suria - Let's Go Quantum (6:23)

2. Sidhartha vs. Gastapha - Microwave Engineering (6:35)

3. Sidhartha vs. Tryon - Mars Flight (8:04)

4. Sidhartha vs. Adrop - Creating A New Science (7:18)

5. Sidhartha vs. Technodrome - Access Point (6:50)

6. Sidhartha vs. Phonic Request - Technological Itch (7:37)

7. Sidhartha vs. Khopat - Beyond Messure Of Control (7:07)

8. Sidhartha vs. Vibraddict - Cosmic Circus (7:38)

9. Sidhartha vs. Cortex - The Next Day 2008 Edit (7:08)

10. Sidhartha vs. Adrop - Electro Therapy (7:18)

This is the 2nd release from Hypergate records, the first being the comp Signwaves. I have recently reviewed Sidhartha's great new album Bio Rhythm and here he is with another offering. Is this classified as his album or a compilation? Discogs says it was compiled by him so in a sense it is a compilation, but he is on every track, so in that sense it is his album. I don't know the answer, but I do know that he has been releasing some great music. Here he is with all his buddies. The cover is cool looking with mountains below a starlight sky. Let's get to it!

Let's Go Quantum- I firmly believe that Suria's album Logical Evolution from 2004 was way too under appreciated. The track starts with a full on bass line and synth riffs that fly overhead. At 3:07 they all combine to give a rich sound tapestry. The break sees further analog goodness, as new leads leave their sticky residue. Very good start! :clapping:

Microwave Engineering- The bass line seems to be the same in this track as well as the other sounds. I like the melody in it's minor key style. The break supplies a change up in melody and a very nervous, chopped up lead cautiously makes its way around the track. By the end, it is full steam ahead. Pretty good track, but not mindblowing.

Mars Flight- Here Nuno is again with his friend Tryon. A full on bass line guides me as synth notes usher me along. Gashes of synthesized sound dart in between a chopped up lead with whip like intensity. The sound becomes thicker with the addition of more leads. After the break, the feel continues to be space and acid intensive. Very good track. :posford:

Creating a New Science- Ana Bastos joins the team here, and I don't know if that is a man or a woman. Please excuse my ignorance. Sticky leads leave their mark as the track rises, creating a solid groove. After a slowdown, the track picks up right where it left off at the 5:20 mark. Good track, but I felt it could've been more.

Access Point- Now this is what I am talking about. Technodrome did the ninja turtle album Earthquake and I thought it rocked! I look forward to this match. Boom, a spooky synth stab and detuned sound give this track some character. Lasers flash, metallic leads clash and at 5 and a half minutes it all comes together in sonic mayhem. Great track.

Technological Itch- Phonic Request join the team and start off with a hovering pad. Percussive elements strike fast and give way to the bass line. Metallic swarms of bees belie a lightning quick synth arpeggio as a staggered sample is set to a loop. It is more percussive than vocal. It then becomes glitchy and ruins whatever flow there was. I think that would've sounded better if the beat or "a" beat was maintained. But that's why I'm a listener and not an artist. Then another melody appears with a buildup but I am rather indifferent. Meh. <_<

Beyond Measure of Control- Khopat is back (he did a track on Sidhartha's new album) and he brought his acid grenades! Volley after volley of concussive acid are thrown, destroying all in their wake. A well placed Matrix sample provides only a moment of respite as the buildup continues right into a break. Once out of it, more leads add to the arsenal it twisting madness. My favorite track! :posford:

Cosmic Circus- Vibraddict (another Portuguese chum) comes out to play, and I'm going to the circus. I can hear the dolby soundtrack in the background as the bass drum slowly makes its way to the front. Synths swirl amongst each other as the kick suddenly drops out. As the track rolls on, there are a bunch of chopped up samples including a Tommy Chong gem. The buildup paves the way for Acidfest 2008! Lots and lots of it, so if you like this type of stuff, this is for you. I do. Nice job!

The Next Day 2008 Edit- Cortex is in on this one (the track is from his album Time For Salvation) as the track begins with a simple synth riff with nice effects. The bass line is jumpy, with eerie synth melodies that peek in to see if it is safe. The sample is a little long for my tastes, but I do enjoy the percussive synth work. So much better than a rising snare. Back to the track it plows along with some staggered leads but nothing special. I would have to listen to the original to see if there is that much of a difference between the two.

Electro Therapy- Just like with Sidartha's latest, the last track is a break beat one. Pretty funky with a bouncy lead. The leads give it that "electro" feel and I just keep bouncing along with it.

Conclusion: This was a pretty good album. What you have here is full on trance which leans toward the darker side. It is fast, powerful, and at times acid laden. The melodies were very spooky and the rhythm's are very dance friendly. I felt there was something missing though. Maybe that "Timecode" fullness or layering that really fills out the tracks. Sometimes there were a few too many stops and build ups. Also, it felt very full on. Not Blanck and White full on, but at least heading in that direction. Now that is not bad and maybe I'm just a spoiled listener. But I am really nitpicking. I enjoy everything Sidhartha does and can see his abilities get better with every tack he makes. So I will recommend this album. While not essential, it provides a good ride. 8.5/10

Mdk