2. Getafix (6:40)

3. Pointless paradox (7:02)

4. Mental matrix (7:12)

5. Let me out! (8:04)

6. Audio illusion (7:16)

7. Evil twin (6:24)

8. Single cell (7:46)

9. Chronic (remix) (6:39)

Kelton Jones, a.k.a. Hoodwink, has been a member of WildThings Records family since the very start, opening their first ever compilation and featured on following two V/A's. "Audio illusion" is his debut album. Although his style shares a lot of common ground with other artists from this UK-based team his tunes were always a bit different – more minimal and sparse, focused mainly on the atmosphere and mood, rather than being simply full-on (in a positive meaning of the word).

The review

Just like it was with last year's "Reality Check" by RealityGrid, there's no point in describing every single track in detail here, because they're all more or less similar. Main ingredients are: simple full-on bassline (in a negative sense this time around), heavily echoed, reverberated and otherwise processed alien noises used as a background, carefully programmed and often very varied break-beat drums and assortment of squelchy acid lines on top of all that. This might sound like a good recipe for a storming tune, and in fact it works in many of tracks featured. Track #2 ("Getafix") I can only describe in one way: liquid robot dance! Don't ask me why, but the way the main line is tweaked instantly creates an image of a hardcore break-dancer doing his C3PO moves on the dancefloor... Track #3 ("Pointless paradox") is based around jumpy bass line, quasi funk-guitar acid stabs and some clever bursts of short arpeggiated synth loops. The idea is further developed in track #4 ("Mental matrix"), which peaks when a meaty, distorted low-passed main acid line meets with swirling hi-passed melodious overtones in a crackling combo. "Let me out!" (track #5) puts more emphasis on the background noises, stereo-field effects and heavy sound processing of almost every sound possible – this is one of those rare occasions, when these widely overused generic full-on squelches really work. Similar techniques were used in #6 ("Audio illusion"), although this time you can even put your own dignity at risk by trying to hum some of the lines while shaving, as they seem genuinely melodic. Other tunes are not far off, but they miss this extra factor to make them special - #1 and #7 seem very plain and frankly a bit boring, #8 doesn't really go anywhere and the original "Chronic" remixed in #9 was much better.

Final thoughts

I must say I'm feeling quite confused. On one hand, I expected a lot from this release and in the beginning I couldn't help but being very disappointed, because I hoped for something new and creative. Instead, all I heard were exactly the same sounds, structures and ideas he's been using for couple of years already. In addition, this can hardly by called an album – apart from general similarity, there's no theme or distinct flow here. But on the other hand – strangely enough – this has been the most often listened CD in my entire collection for the last 3 weeks! Despite all obvious flaws, the music featured on "Audio illusion" has a lot of character and individuality; it brings no new concepts, but makes use of the old ones in an almost perfect way. Plus, there's so much work here in all those background stuff and atmospherics that you're only able to notice it 10-th time around. Now, if only he could avoid using those epilepsy-inducing full-on basslines and could employ more melodic elements into his tunes, I'm sure the effect would be awesome because the potential is clearly there.

As it is however, it's a very solid album, but not essential.

3/5

nice review ;) I was waiting for this since you reviewed a lot of wild things rec. releases.

I agree with your opinion. I like the distinct wild things sound and the cool sound manipulation.

Though, in most tracks there is just too little development. No proper story is told.

So this album tends to get boring after some listens.

But it sure is better than the average full on.

Guest antic

So this album tends to get boring after some listens.

Can't agree with you here.

The amount of detail and sound manipulations guarantees you'll be discovering new things long after you've first heard it - that was exactly the case for me, because initially it would not receive more than 1.5-2/5. But the rest is true: it begs for more transparent arrangements, sections and flow - the transitions are just to gentle for most people to notice, let alone appreciate. As I wrote in the review - the foundations & huge talent are there, he just needs (IMO) to develop the sound further and diversify it. There's no need to use all the tricks he knows and all the sounds he has in every single track; there's more to basslines than 'kbbbkbbb'-ones etc...

Still, it doesn't seem to be leaving my CD-player any soon :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest antic

hey antic.

The new EVP is out.

Are you going to review the CD? :)

First I've got to buy it (will probably place the order today, just have to think what else should I get).

Anyhow, the samples sound very interesting to say the least and after last year's great Realitygrid CD (it's Alex of EVP + Leon Kane of Avalon) I wouldn't expect nothing else.

Any comments on this CD?

Guest antic

concept of dark fullon

Actually that is a very fitting description.

Although I'd add 'minimal' and 'sci-fi dark' (as opposed to gothic / horror dark).

And after two months, it still sounds really good, especially #2(!), 4, 5(!!!), 6, 8 and 9(!). Really solid and intricate stuff, this.

:)

On my first listen now... Im not blown away, except for track 5 wich is really great! But all in all, the album sounds pretty solid ... I'll come back later with a final opinion later.... This definatly deserves some more listens.

Strange you (sort of) liked it - I always thought of you as a more of a progressive- type of a person :)

And it still doesn't leave my playlist. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the rating to 4/5.

Strange you (sort of) liked it - I always thought of you as a more of a progressive- type of a person :)

And it still doesn't leave my playlist. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the rating to 4/5.

Hehe... I'm not into the oldschool/goa if that's what you mean, but if it's good i enjoy pretty much everything ells in the psy category :) Im pretty picky when it comes to fullon though, but this is worth listening to!