Question for you tone monkeys

First off, hi to all, thought I'd drop in on the psy forum and see what you fellas know.

I've been tooling around with various waveforms and effects for awhile now, I've gotten alot of interesting textures that I really like, but they uniformly lack the whacked-out squelchy timbres that you here in a great deal of full-on tracks. I'm going for something close to Hallucinogen-squelchy, really in-your-face synth sounds. I don't want to carbon copy this sound, but I do want to know how synth lines achieve that kind of presence and texture. I've been using samples mostly, with various filters n stuff, it sounds cool but doesn't really cut through when I want it to. I'm fairly new to production so any advice is appreciated.

Cool forum.

First off, hi to all, thought I'd drop in on the psy forum and see what you fellas know.

I've been tooling around with various waveforms and effects for awhile now, I've gotten alot of interesting textures that I really like, but they uniformly lack the whacked-out squelchy timbres that you here in a great deal of full-on tracks. I'm going for something close to Hallucinogen-squelchy, really in-your-face synth sounds. I don't want to carbon copy this sound, but I do want to know how synth lines achieve that kind of presence and texture. I've been using samples mostly, with various filters n stuff, it sounds cool but doesn't really cut through when I want it to. I'm fairly new to production so any advice is appreciated.

Cool forum.

what software, hardware are you using???

Ive been using ableton, only been gettin into this the past few months so I haven't acquired many toys yet. Really diggin it tho!

i definitely respect the benefit of trial and error, I've been engaging in quite a bit of it in the form of endless knob twiddling and experimentation... but dude, ring mod has been makin me happy. Good tip.

if you really want to get close to simon's sounds your best bet is to get a used k2000.

most of simons sound is pretty much the filters/shapers of the k2000.

k2000 has a very distinct filter sound and some different typs of filters, your not going to find them in software.

.. but apart from that, its a pretty outdated machine. The Kurtzweil K2000 was for its time rather sophisticated. With the sampler-card it was even more powerful. I am not sure what a secondhand one costs today, but in my humble opinion it would be wiser to invest that money somewhere else in the studio. But yeh, the filters were quite something.

i think its outdated as a sampler but if treated as a synth i dont see how it could get outdated just with how deep it is programming wise.

the best part of it though is they are stupid dirt cheap used. keyboards seem to go for around $400 USD and the rack ive seen go for $300 on ebay.

yea i havent had one now for about 4 years. i had just really started to get into programming it when i sold it too. you can get some really sick lead sounds by stacking 3 or 4 layers of the weird waveforms, filter on each layer then link the filters to the mod wheel.

something that would rock that i never bothered to try would be to sample a nice FM patch of a virus or nord without the filters on, then build a keymap for the k and use its filters.

• 1 month later...

single saw oscillator, modulate pitch up up up high by an lfo (100hz [if not then as fast as you can]) - modulate the lfo speed negative by an envelope (attack min, sustain min, release min, play with the decay) distort, fx, enjoy!

run a few midi notes at 1/8th's while you set up the patch.

edit: re-read the first post and realised he was talking about lead sounds - this probably wont work for a lead although you'll get some good squelches for fx type sounds to run in the background

Use a filter with high resonance, and have the cutoff oscillate. and then distort the output.

Oh, and don't forget use only saw, or square, and have it in mono :P

(last one was a bit of a joke :) )

good luck :posford: