Definition of doof

Guest bugbread

What is a "doof"? I'd assumed Nick Doof was just a guy's name and Doof was his band, but I keep reading in various places about "doofs". The only place I can remember offhand is psy-harmonic's homepage, where it says that at a tribal festival there will be several doofs. Is this Aussie slang, a general word, a big coincidence? Is "Nick Doof" his real name, or is it the equivalent of having your name be Mike Spliff?

Guest Mike D

Seeing as I'm an Aussie I will try to explain...

A Doof is a rave and as I far as I know it is called this as it is a legal rave. Rave was originally used as a term for illegal electronic festivals, so now we call the Doof here :-) Also because it sounds like the kick drum... "doof, doof, doof"

Nick Doof I think just named himself that as is explained above :-) So when you here the word doof just think outdoor party :-)

Guest Mike D

Seeing as I'm an Aussie I will try to explain...

A Doof is a rave and as I far as I know it is called this as it is a legal rave. Rave was originally used as a term for illegal electronic festivals, so now we call the Doof here :-) Also because it sounds like the kick drum... "doof, doof, doof"

Nick Doof I think just named himself that as is explained above :-) So when you here the word doof just think outdoor party :-)

Guest [tom jaimz]

Heh. Nah, the way I know it is that in the early days of Sydney's "Vibe Tribe" [many of whom now live and throw parties in Byron], a bunch of acid house-loving ferals shared a house, where one neighbour would abuse them for playing their music all day, "Doof, doof, doof! That's all you ever play! That doof-doof music!" or something. From then on not only did they refer to the various range of music that they'd play at their parties (which at the time was a strange blend of hard acid, minimal techno and early goa), but they'd name most their (semi-legal squat and warehouse) parties 'so-and-so doof'. There were a couple of wicked parties a couple of years ago called 'doof is dead', advertised widely simply by people spray painting 'Doof Is Dead' everywhere, which even prompted to Sydney Morning Hearld to mention it, wondering who this 'Doof' was. Anyway after that they all kinda went different ways, but many underground parties are still called doofs in Sydney, as is the music they play there.

Anyhow, that's where Doof comes from, as far as I know. Nick Barber took the name in a completely seperate incident, which I don't think is related to any party naming.

Guest Elysium Project

well the fact is that Nick is british not Australian so I do not think that he have chosen the name in any content wiht an Australian meaning of the word. I will ask him the next time I meet him!

Guest Tequila

Doof means in german "stupid" , "half-baked" ;)

So its always funny for me to hear that name...

But it is superb Goa!! My fav is "hyperspaced" feat. T.I.P.

His name is Nicka Barber..dunno wher doof comes from..I have only noticed recently there are doof records label..so here u go..u can choose...love+light