Moog 'little phatty' REVIEW

Posted Image

Anyone who is interested in producing changing waveforms the likes of which have defined trace music should get a Moog 'little phatty'.

After more then a decade of buying electronic music I know the difference in tone the real analogue synthesizer brings to a mix.

It may be the bass which gets them on the dancefloor, but it is the highs that keep them there. To my ears there is no modeller that can completely duplicate the rich tone of an analoge machine in the high pitches (303 acidlines anyone). So a few years ago, when Bob Moog re-acquired the rights to moog music I took note.

When the moog Voyager came out a couple years ago I was happy and wandered into my local shop where I graceously accepted an offer to try it out.

It is a wonderful machine, but I had stickershock.

I had not kept up on the news so when again I wandered into my local music shop I was flabbergasted by what I saw: a new moog synth for less then the price of many new digital synthesizers!

The moog 'little phatty' (LP for short) is a sight to behold. It is the most geekishly beautiful thing I have seen in as long as I can remember.

I will post pictures later. For now you will have to go to moog-music.com to see it.

I must say it is quite small and it only has two VCOs but it what it does it does vary well.

It itsn't in the amount of presets here it's what you can do with them. In two minutes you can completely change the sound coming out of the machine with no practice whatsoever. I can get lost in tweeking knobs and controlling the envelopes - it is that good. Add effects and you have limitless possibilities in new leads or plenty of fodder for cool fx. The waves are pristine. Analogue means you are creating the waves themselves, no sampling, no shifting, no modeling. You hear the waveforms morph as you turn the wave type knob. I would say this was made for music with slow changes in texture, slow progressions and almost indisernable morphing.

As you know, years ago there where only analogue synthesizers. They lost favor to digital synths for some vary important reasons.

You couldn't set and save your settings exactly so playing live was a big pain. You had to send it in to be calibrated every so often which was expensive and inconvenient. Furthermore analogue synthesizers were notorious for loosing their tune during play.

All of these problems have been solved in the LP.

It has an auto tune feature selectable in the master menue. It can save all of the knob positions into sets in its internal eprom.

The LP can even calibrate itself, something Kraftwork couldn't dream for in the 70's.

It is still an analogue synthesizer and just like Kraftwork you will want to warm up the LP for 15 minutes to ensure the VCOs stay at a stable temperatue and keep their pitch.

Is it wearth it? Do I really want an analogue synthesizer?

If you like trance music the answer is a big YES ! The LP is a joy to hear and easy to play. It will add sonic charactor to your mix. For acid music it's potential is obvious. The LP is probably the synth I've always wanted but didn't know it.

It is a gem. Who knows it may even become as much of a classic as the mini-moog.

Posted Image

a vary simple machine

HIGHS - the sound quality

small size

ease of use

overall style

Lows - only 2 VCOs

one small lcd

edited : added 2 photos

nice!

i just watched a documentary about Robert Moog. he was definitely an amazing man and an ingenious inventor.

i'd love to own a Moog one day, and your review has confirmed that desire.

i still have some way to go before i would fully appreciate one though :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

<<Link>>

I have made a sound sampling demo of little phatty sounds to give an example of what this baby can do.

Nowdays most people are just using VSTis and I think that this is a shame.

Not saying vsts are useless, but last night was like sex for me.

Hope you enjoy. :)

<<Link>>

I have made a sound sampling demo of little phatty sounds to give an example of what this baby can do.

Nowdays most people are just using VSTis and I think that this is a shame.

Not saying vsts are useless, but last night was like sex for me.

Hope you enjoy. :)

...working...on...it....slow............site.....taking...............forever.........not.a.......paying............member..........ugh..........

i........will.never................click...........on.................a.megaupload................link..............again...........................wow........

from 500k a sec to 10k a sec, this is going to be awhile. :-/

Finally! What a good demon. I just listened to one of the most fascinating arp 2600 demos I've ever heard too. Analog is my friend. I don't know why I even bothered with an ITB setup :-D

thanks for sharing that, nn.

Aaron

...working...on...it....slow............site.....taking...............forever.........not.a.......paying............member..........ugh..........

i........will.never................click...........on.................a.megaupload................link..............again...........................wow........

from 500k a sec to 10k a sec, this is going to be awhile. :-/

Finally! What a good demon. I just listened to one of the most fascinating arp 2600 demos I've ever heard too. Analog is my friend. I don't know why I even bothered with an ITB setup :-D

thanks for sharing that, nn.

Aaron

sorry, demon should had been demo :) sounds = voices in my head = demons haha.

-d