Average Posford

Guest Ciotera

What's all this fuss about starting threads to bust on musicians? You really think people want to know that you DON'T like some music style or musician? I for one, couldn't give a damn.. but I would be interested in hearing what kind of music you and others DO like.. So could we please stop with the negativity.

Peace.

dude.. What's all this fuss about starting threads to worship musicians?

same thing, just that those are accepted 'cus they are positive to the artists. Most threads about artists are VERY positve, espessially the ones about SP and Shpankle..

yin - yang u know? good - bad, dark - light, day - night..

we need both negative and positive posts...

Guest Elysium Project

As an artist I'd rather have the critique spelled out to me honestly than to see some dude or dudette licking my ass just because I am an artist..... That I have no respect for... Artists should be able to take critique - negative or posetive. I see no harm done in people don't liking my music - And I know Simon feel the same way...actually I respect them for telling me....but I have no respect for people who's licking butts.

Guest Ciotera

I don't think it's about balance here.. It's about what's productive and what's not.. If I say in my post that I think Simon Posford is overrated, who is it going to benefit? Who cares? I am just going to get flamed by a couple of his avid fans, and that's all.. But if my post says something good about FSOL and The Muses Rapt, and suggests that those who like Shpongle should give them a try - that's constructive.

I have seen few threads here that would "worship" a musician. People on this forum are very good at separating the music from the person who makes it. I have seen a lot of constructive threads praising the music and explaining what makes it special. That's valuable. What's the value of saying "I think his music is highly overrated?" That focuses on the musician, not the music. That's anti-worship, which is just as narrow-minded as worship.

Guest bugbread

Hmmm....All I can see is that there are four camps right now (regarding SP)

People who love SP and think everyone else should: Idiots

People who love SP and think other people should decide for themselves: Good

People who think SP is overrated and think everyone else should: Idiots

People who think SP is overrated and instead talk about other artists they like: Good

I don't quite get the idea of posts from the 1st and 3rd camp...What's the point? If you like his music, like it, if not, don't, but what's the point in starting threads to try to explain to everyone else why SP is great or not great? If you like it, no amount of counterargument will change other peoples' musical tastes, and if you don't like it, no amount of counterargument will change other peoples' musical tastes.

As far as I can see, it's ego-stroking on both parts: people trying to get people to post comments that agree with them so they can feel "justified".

Note that I separate this from posts about artists that are far less well known (Pelinpala, etc.). They are mostly trying to find out if ANYONE else likes this music, or if they're alone, and also to discuss with other fans of obscure bands what their impressions are. But for SP, the answer is already clear: If you like SP, there are many many people who agree, and if you think SP is overrated, there are many many people who agree.

Guest Ciotera

EP - I respect your attitude, but fail to see the "spelled out criticism" in the post that started this thread. There is obviously value in criticism, but is there value in aimless rambling about whether or not someone is overrated.

Guest Elysium Project

Yes I do agree Ciotera... It's just as pointess as when a person start a thread about how much he/she think that Simon is better than anyone else...not at all conctructive....but I am all for free speach so i would never tell them to "shut" up...All people need to express themselves one way or another. Anyway my post was very simple about that it's much better to say what you think about music (not the artist personally) than to hide it and pretend you like it....

oh my...... the most stupid people here are the ones that affirm that simon postford is god .

Simon postford is a great producer , take hallucinogen for example , now about shpongle , shpongle is great but its not his music , shpongle is just a psy mix with world music like paco de lucia , le cirque du soleil etc etc .

Anyway Simon P is a genius but not god for gods sake .

Guest DeeperNETWERK

The people who are dissing Posford should take a look at the other recent thread, "For people who like Posford - what is your other favourite artist?". If you notice... A lot of us Posford fans enjoy mainly music outside of the psy TRANCE realm, examples... Ozrics, Pink Floyd, hell... i think someone even mentioned Dj Shadow! The reason why we like posford, er atleast me, is cause it has that elegant classical musical sense. It's intelligent and thought out extremely, which most modern psytrance lacks. A heavy machine like beat with some atmosphere strings. That's ok to like that, and i like pumping some "nu-"psytrance sometimes, we just look for something different in music. Some more complex, better arrangements, a point, climax, a divine moment of time and space(when it hits the point/climax), and production skills that are crystal clear. There are other psy artists that have created this "elegant and intelligent" psytrance as well (ex.- cosmosis - synergy, pliedians - IFO, a lot of older releases when the style wasn't tainted yet), dont get me wrong. I dont mean to stereotype anyone or cause arguments, but i think posford fans just like a completely different style than you all dissing posford..

Either this... Or you'd rather not like what everyone else likes, and forcing yourself not to like it. Which is stupid.

Guest Satoshi

First rule of the Pantene-pro V club is: dont fuck with posford

second rule is:do NOT fuck with posford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest bahamut

"overrated " blaaaah, stupid word

c'mon people let's all start threads about artists you don't like... just tell everyone you think the artist is highly overrated without any explanation, so there will be pointless discussions again and again

Hmm, I think Posford does make great music, but he is definitley low on my list when it comes to favourites. I don't htin Shpongle would have half it's charm without the input of Raja Ram's flute, Michelle's vocals and the other artists, and Ott made Hallucinogen much more pleasurable by his dub remixes. I'll tell you now, I think music wise, maybe not production wise, but Astral Projection/MFG and some of the other early work by Elysium Project wiped the floor with Posford. I think we do need to realise that there is more to making grewat trance than being able to twiddle knobs ina way to make it really great to flip out on. Astral may not be that psychedlic anymore, but they know how to PLAY a keybopard or 20. I don't care if you say I"m being negative either, I just think that there is much more to this music than production skills, coz ssome pop music is produced amazingly wel, yet it still is shitty to my ears. Just asbeing a great musician isn't everything, neither is being a great producer, and it is when we get a god balance between both that we end up with great tunes, like Astral Projection, who for me will always leave Posford behind in the music ring, and at lleast have equalled him in production skills.

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

That would be cool. A live discussion between posford and EP...hehehehe

Put me in the love camp cause I see no other artist deliver the production and especially music composing level of a 'Herb Garden' for example, certainly no AP or MFG. Probably a matter of taste but I haven't heard anything in the last 5 years that comes even close to this 15 minute psychedelic epic, all genres. And really I try to keep up with all new releases especially ambient. Maybe its the analog instrument/electronica/weirdness ratio that just feels perfect for me...Apart from track 1,2,3 & 5 I wasn't that impressed by 'Tales' and milloonyum and beatiful ppl kinda sucked imo so I am no blind fanboy. I think.

Guest Freewheelin'

Many ppl concider Posford to stand above the rest of the psy-family. I agree to some extent; when Simon produced psy-trance back in 95-96-97 it WAS actually extraordinary both production and musicalwise.

And sure, his productions for Sphongle and Younger Brother nowdays is also crisp and very proffesional - but it lacks the spirit and the depth of his earlier Hallucinogen productions. Sure, Sphongle is a completely different genre, being more chilled. But it is defeneatly not as unique as the stuff he made before.

However, he is a really nice guy - different from many other folks in the buisness who concider themselves rockstars - friendly and honest.

xoxo

Can-I-be-a-rockstar-too