Goa/psy and the evolution of trance

Veracohr

Here's a warning/qualifier/explanation before you read this thread: I got off work early today, and I've just been sitting around drinking for a few hours and listening to trance. So this is, ultimately, useless drivel of an psuedo-intellectual nature. Also, I can't claim to have a long history with trance. I'd say I've been into trance for about 8 years, and while I heard my first goa songs only a couple years or so after I got into trance (one of my first was AP's "Mahadeva", which I downloaded from the old mp3.com), I've only gotten really interested in goa and psytrance in the last year probably. And I didn't really like much electronic music before I got into trance.

Ever since I got heavily into goa and psytrance, when I listen to a lot of older trance (classic-era trance, if you will), I can't help but think that goa and [good] psytrance are the natural evolution of the original idea behind trance. Of course, since goa and psy are my favorite kinds of trance, naturally I have a biased opinion, but I really think it's true. Just look at the name: 'trance'. By definition, trance music should put you at least somewhat into a trance, correct? It seems to me that the more popular side of trance these days has really deviated from this. While I don't like most of it, I have to admit that today's popular trance music does have it's hooks and tricks and melodies and things that work for it, so I can see why some people would like it. But when I listen to some of the older trance, I recognize a lot of signatures that I hear and like in goa and psytrance, that are missing in the more popular types of trance.

Although I don't expect many here to disagree with me (this is a forum about psytrance after all, it doesn't seem likely), does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Hmmm....it seems like I had more to say on this subject, but either my alcohol-clouded mind or the distractions I've had since I began writing this post, or both, have caused me to forget whatever else there was.