Reading old magazines.

So, I woke up one hour early, I fell for the "Daylight saving scam" AGAIN! Not realizing until it was too late, I was already on the bus going to the Kindergarden to drop the littleone off! So, what to do when you are too early? well, Got home very early as it turns out, and I needed something to read while eating some breakfast.

I took one magazine out of the stacks of magazines that I have laying around, and as a Coincidence I picked the Computer Music from November 2003.

This issue was pretty good already back then, but also useful right now, but let me get back to that in a moment.

The issue covers the very first review of Sonar 3, and also features a first look of Cubase SX2. The magazine also at a last minute stopped the press and announced Ableton Live3.

So that got me thinking, 3 years of technology ago, we had a lot of good products out there, and back then, we though it was the bomb. With cubase sx1 still installed on my PC, and not even had a look at Ableton.

The last couple of months, I have suffered from a dilemma, that I think that the technology of today, is either too much, or, it is not sufficient. Weird you might think, but lets crawl into my head and my way of thinking for a while;

I was thinking that I should make an album completely based on Hardware. No computer engineering, other than the sequenzer. So I started fiddling about with the virus, and soon found out that I can do the most with it. That and a bassline from the Juno Alpha 1 is perfect really.

However, I though that if I do all the arrangement on SX3, then I will be tempted to use all the nifty features, so I installed my old Cubase 1! Now, that doesnt have any audio, nor does it have other cool features... Its just a PLAIN sequencer.

I found myself being soooo productive, I made a track in about 10 hours, and it turned out to be pretty cool. I had a dilemma though, I wanted samples in it, and I do not HAVE a hardware sampler... I also wanted some other drumsounds, but I sold my Drum machines long ago. I also wanted some cool percussion....

In the end I installed SX3 again, scrapped the song totally, and it became something totally diffrent than what I started with.

So, reading this magazine, makes me realize how much these people work for us, the companies that are doing our programs that we use all the time. The great mathematicians that bang their heads against the wall, so we can have great stuff like Reaktor, or Battery. They REALLY work hard, and they get us very good results.

I am amazed as well, how far they have come. Cubase 4 was just released, and Ableton 6 is on the Market. Native Instruments have announced some serious stuff as well, which I am really looking forward to get my hands on.

So from thinking, do I really NEED all this new technology, I started to think, im addicted to new technology. New technology means new possibilities, and new possibilities means that you can create new sounds.

Looking back at the magazine again, I found some cool tutorials on the Quadrafuzz, and I actually will try the stuff they are describing. I didnt back then, becuase I didnt need it, but now, I really am into distorted dirty sounds. Old magazines come in Handy I think :)

What is this thread about?! Well its about tech-angst. Being affraid to lose your roots because the technology is so rapidly moving forward that you cant keep track anymore. But also about that the technologies that lay at our hands are tools of mass pollution of sounds.

Technology has its good and bad things, but I am feeling that the music industries techologies are on the right track at the moment.

I FEEL like THEY are working for us, when I look what they are doing for us, and that is the way it should be, or not!?

Discuss.

ya man. thay r faster than us. bfore u finish reading a tutor of one thing the next one comes. cant stop from saying that it also makes a producer confused alot. we r neva satisfide with wat we have

631974[/snapback]

Hehe, I learnt a lesson though, when I installed cubase1, and that is; that we are never happy with what we got, until we dont have it anymore....

I FEEL like THEY are working for us, when I look what they are doing for us, and that is the way it should be, or not!?

Discuss.

631955[/snapback]

i felt like this when i installed ableton live 5 for the first time :D