"Dither" for Hz?

Hi everybody!

Lately, I have a very annoying problem..

With my current soundcard, I can only work at 48000 Hz without unacceptable latency..

So I work with 48000 Hz and 24 Bits..

When done, I export the whole Track (again, 48000 Hz, 24 Bits) and do the mastering in WL. There I use a Dither (and dither it to 16 Bits) and then I save the "rendered" file as 16 Bits 44100 Hz..

But this creates an annoying metallic sound, on the Kick for instance.. I'm sure it has to do with the 48000 to 44100 Hz change... but I don't know how to solve the problem..

Suggestions are appreciated :P

Best regards,

Human

The equivalent for HZ you are talking about is ReSample. Usually a sample played at the incorrect Hz rating will only sound slower or faster. I've never run into an instance where it colored the sound of the sample, but I'm no expert.

hi dharma!

thanx a lot! actually i found the solution the other night, had just forgotten to post the good news in here.. indeed the "resampler" does the job! i hadn't noticed that "metallic" sound before, but in my latest productions i became aware of it..

so now the resampler is my best friend.. ;P

best regards,

human

hi dharma!

thanx a lot! actually i found the solution the other night, had just forgotten to post the good news in here.. indeed the "resampler" does the job! i hadn't noticed that "metallic" sound before, but in my latest productions i became aware of it..

so now the resampler is my best friend.. ;P

best regards,

human

617248[/snapback]

I was trying to come up with a response to this thread, but I couldn't. Now, however, I think I see what might have been going on. Somehow you were saving a 48k file as 44.1k without converting the sample rate? I don't even know how that could be done, excepting the possibility of a random removal of samples.

But at least you figured it out. Convert the sample rate before saving (and dither, always, if reducing the bit depth)!

Why can't you record in 44.1kHz to begin with?

You might be experiencing aliasing.

Aliasing also refers to the distortion or artifact that is caused by a signal being sampled and reconstructed as an alias of the original signal.

Be sure to resample the wave from 48kHz to 44.1kHz using an anti-alias filter.

Voxengo R8Brain is accepted to be one of the best sample-rate converter programs out there. Not every SRC is created equal, and some introduce distortion to the audio when converting. The Sound Forge 'Resample' process should be fine though.

Voxengo R8Brain is accepted to be one of the best sample-rate converter programs out there.  Not every SRC is created equal, and some introduce distortion to the audio when converting.  The Sound Forge 'Resample' process should be fine though.

617699[/snapback]

Is there any difference between using the 'Resample' process or just using 'Save as' in soundforge and then choosing to save it as a 16 bit wave file?

I usually bounce at 32 bit so the first thing i do is apply some limiting then save the file as 16 bit..Should SRC always be done last?

Is there any difference between using the 'Resample' process or just using 'Save as' in soundforge and then choosing to save it as a 16 bit wave file?

I usually bounce at 32 bit so the first thing i do is apply some limiting then save the file as 16 bit..Should SRC always be done last?

619983[/snapback]

Well, saving the file as 16 bit might work, but to change the Hz, you have to use Resample, because 'save as' doesn't offer those options if I remember correctly.