03 – Synthetic News

04 – F. People

05 – Mushroom Lunch

06 – Pop On

07 – Ten-Dance

08 – Harmful & Wrong

09 – Yumi (Final Mix)

10 – Child’s Dream

oh man this is BAD! Don't ask me how this happened but Fungus Funk's style somehow changed completely. Once upon a time he was a badass dark trance producer (tracks like War Science, Two Yellow Eyes and even the goofy Duck the Warrior are dark trance classics for me). But this album isn't ANYTHING like that. It's just filled of light fluffy full-on. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against producers of dark music moving into morning territory (like Midi Miliz or Ka-Sol did) when it's GOOD. But this is not.

There is ONE absolutley stand-out track: the experimental downtempo Mushroom Lunch which I like a LOT (and basically the only reason why I listen to this album...). Although this particular track isn't representative of his style... the rest is BAAAD. To tell you just how bad this is, in Synthetic News you can even hear samples of people cheering! Stadium psy... this is even worse than fukken GMS! and the title Pop On says it all IMO...

Ok, other than that, Extra Active , Harmful and Wrong are pretty interesting (athough we're far from classic territory...). And the title track F.People is on the commercial side but I guess it would work well on the dancefloor, it has a nice climax around 5:20 and there are some nice samples from what I think is a 60s track?

Fungus, man, what the hell happened???

faves (or more like "not awful"...): 2, 4, 5(!!!), 8, 9 (!!)

PS I didn't say much about Yumi which is indeed the ONLY track here where you can still hear the old Fungus Funk vibe because it's been around for quite a while now and isn't really new...

Hm, I wouldn't say it is fluffy full-on.. but yeah it ain't darkpsy (a mixture of full-on and hard basslines perhaps?) and neither the stomping dark fungus funk we used to know... there are some cheeys melodies indeed.. but there is one great darkpsy stomper, track 9- Yumi (Final Mix) in old Fungus Funk style we used to know... "Synthetic News" intro sucks so much ass... it sounds like house/club/happy hardcore music Posted Image , but later in the track we hear some nice trancy background synths.. but the buildup to the climax is so horrible DJ Tiësto comes in mind... well.. i won't say anything more.. this album is only worth it for track 5 and 9 ... listen before you buy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt judge it as 'right in the trash can' but it is certainly bit dissapointing... i was awaiting some fungus funk darkpsy as known from his older tracks but instead of that this album is quite normal full-on all the way (almost).

i liked only two tracks - Mushroom Lunch which is nice ambient experimentation and Yumi (Final edit) which is in the old darkpsy style and is really damn good by the way. if the album would be filled with tunes like Yumi it would certainly live up to my expectations... well, will see what fungus funk will bring in the future.

:ph34r:

The mix of yumi made me sad. The original is one of my favorites and it and other tracks in that same style made me come back to psytrance after break that lasted a few years.

But I guess I should give the album a second chance, considering all the great tracks Fungus Funk has made in the past.

beside of that this album is kind of a paradigm change for fungus funk (which obviously disappoints a lot of people here) i judge it it by what it is: a well balanced, powerful and straightforward release in which melodies are perfectly placed. as i never cared about his former dark style, for me this is fresh and unique music. i like this one a lot. fungus funk can count me in in the future and i really want it to be released now!!!!!