An undiscovered gem of futuristic, psychedelic...

Cybernetika

Hey,

anyone ever played the computer game "Emperor - Battle for Dune"? It was a RTS game in the Dune universe with 3 playable fractions, each fraction with an own soundtrack.

The first two soundtracks are nice too, one is a classical battle anthem soundtrack, the second is more like stomping industrial metal.

Anyway, I am referring to the third soundtrack, made by a guy named Jarrid Mendelson. This soundtrack is made for the strangest fraction, the "Ordos". Those guys are pure paranoid freaks, hence the music is very futuristic, unorganic, psychedelic. You can hear some very good breakbeat/downtempo stuff in it, full of futuristic sounds. I wonder how no one on the web has mentioned this excellent soundtrack so far. This is unique stuff, and I completely love those tunes.

Here are two sample tracks I've uploaded for you:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14288017/Ordos_...tronic.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/14287455/Ordos_...tegist.mp3.html

you have to click on "free", the wait for about 30 seconds. It will be worth the effort, I promise. Unfortunately, there is no way to prelisten this stuff on the web. There is also no way to get this stuff on CD, the only way to get this is to buy the game, but it should be really cheap now since its 3 or 4 years old.

I have a ripped version of all the ordos tracks (52:43 length) out of the game in 128kbps. I am not sure if its legal to upload them, but you can ask for further samples via PM. :)

I know it, played it and I have the soundtrack in mp3. I like Harkonnen tracks by David Arkenstone most. The soundtrack is nice and indeed psychedelic sometimes, but I don't like it very much. It just somehow doesn't fit my taste though I like that style of music very much. IMO the soundtrack for Dune 2000 was much better - more melodic, atmospheric and epic. It also had many psychedelic moments. Some shpongled parts here and there etc. Most of them are remakes of Dune 2 songs. Too bad the sound quality is poor :(

It was made by F.Klepacki - the man responsible for Atreides songs in Emperor and most other Westwood soundtracks.

But Emperor is also very solid piece of music.

Anyway, I'm glad someone knows it ;):)

I do remember quite clearly playing "Emperor -Battle for Dune", remembering even more brightly the soundtrack to the game. :D I was a big fan of the soundtrack, and thought it was very well produced. Although, until you posted those two samples, I could not remember what specifically had been so unique about the soundtrack. All I can remember is that it was responsible for getting me more interested in electronic music, but that is another thread.

Anyway, the stuff sounds like psychedelic post-industrial breaks, although that doesn't describe much. I found it to be akin to something similar to Front Line Assembly's newer work since '99, or Diverje, but broken up and psychedelialized. Anyway, I don't expect to hear more things like this. I just can't see the psy of these days leaning off into this sort of sound. I could see stuff like this spawning from people attempting to follow Process's sound, but currently, no-one really does that.

Actually, now thinking about it, this stuff sounds alot like The Synthetic Dream Foundation. :)

Now I am tempted to re-install Emperor and finally beat that campaign. :P