Deep Dish

Guest Melkiades

Why isn't anyone talking about Deep Dish here ? It's GODDAM excellent, their latest compilation on Global Underground is a superior work of art.

That should be on the favourites list anytime !

Regards

alanus

Guest Melkiades

Hi Ho Ha Hi Hooo, it is indeed more in the category of progressive house, but who gives a @!#$ about categories anyways ? Deep Dish should be listed here, because it resembles in many ways the music being played here. Take a look at their latest compilation on Global Underground, your butt'll start to shake :) It's pretty much psy-trance to my ears...

Author: Goazzz! (---.ath.forthnet.gr)

Date: 12-11-01 16:18

Ha Ha Ha!!!! That's not Psy-Trance my friend!!!!! Maybe it's too progressive for us!!! maybe....

I heard a compilation from Deep Dish and most of the tracks were boring house tracks, but some were really hypnotic, groovy, soulful and trancey!

Be open for other kinds of music.

Personally I almost never listen to trance, since I make the music and DJ the music and have been into the scene since 1994. Its good to get some influences from other kinds of music as well.

Anyone who disagrees is an immature wanker. :)

Hahaha/////// ,man you guys are funny././

Deep Dish global underground is a selection of tracks by these American - Iranian dj's, most of the cd is not their own music..

Now as Dj's, Deep DIsh are quite good, but in the choice of music, i find them getting too repetitive and not intelligent enough// house is just too bouncy for my taste.....

Yet, one thing even the house lovers will have to agree upon, that the scene is too full of glamour. The dj's spin some tracks and everyone starts saying ' have you heard Tenaglias new cd?, or in this case have you heard deep dish's new cd?.. come on man, give some artists credit.. i didn't hear have you heard fatboy slim's/ dakota or BT's track in the moscow global underground cd...

now tomorrow if dimitri plays music by gms, it doesn't become his track... it is still gms's track...

anyway that is just my opinion... i would rather not have house heads (the big oversized pant ravers) in our scene... maybe that is why goa is supposed to be an underground genre..

Guest Melkiades

KS, if we're funny, then you must be Peter Sellers in person...cracks after cracks :)

That said, I've been in the scene since 1987, at the time of bands like Ministry, Front 242 and even before with Cabaret Voltaire and the likes. I had the first online music store with electronic transactions selling underground music back in 1993, running my database on a gopher system, before the web even existed. I've seen many styles arise, many artists come and go, but I personally don't give a horse's butt if some people are showing off with "have you heard the last Tenaglia" type of attitude. Anyone mature enough to simply listen to and enjoy music and the elevation of the senses that it gives obviously avoids the gossips and attitude and is way past beyond that crap. Being a Deep House or Progressive House fan or whatever other style of music (except the real mainstream crap) is a choice, for most, driven by the pleasure these styles of music bring.

As for discussing if DJ's are artists or if only true composers are, we could go on and on until the stars shut down. I personally think that yes, DJ's are performers but they are also artists, they invent and create, they use what exists to add their own genius and they have been contributing enormously to the evolution of music genres. Saying that a DJ is not an artist is the kind of attitude my grandparents would have. So please try not to be so retro in your way of thinking - you're supposed to be an open-mind goa listener, remember ?

Also, psy-trance might be an underground style, but so is most electronica music anyways. I don't think that the music you listen to has the exclusivity of being "underground". You don't see Deep Dish videos on crappy MTV as far as I know (and let's hope we'll never do :)

For me, all that counts is that when I work behind my computer, my hips move and my ass shakes when I listen to music :) That's one main reason why I decided to work from home, because I can discover and listen to the immense amount of music and creation that is being created since the internet has become a tool to exchange ideas between billions of minds.

Final comment: your opinions about "known" DJ's aside, Deep House music, objectively, resembles pretty much Psy-Trance, a few differences aside, so what's the big deal here ?

Regards,

Melkiades

Peter Sellers in person.. now that is a compliment.......

And i am not open minded, when did i ever say i was.. just a small side thing, people who think they are open minded are usually the most closed minded..

anyway you took an objective opinion and added feeling and emotions to it..

look i don't dig house that much, you can't change that, i can't change that so lets forget that for the moment.

all i said was that i don't think the house scene gives enough credit to the music producers.. this is a recipe for disaster, since dj's don't make the music, they can only be good if the music they play is good.. scratching, beat mixing etc., can only go a certain distance. so give your artists credit...

i think you missed the point and took my post as a direct attack against you. read it again, i have only objectively pointed out my perceptions of deep house and progressive house,.. so go chill out and listen to me, as i listened to your point.

and as far as your interpretation of me giving psy trance the 'real' underground nature goes, you misunderstood me again... i just wouldn't like house heads turning up at a psy trance thing with their 'house rules' kind of attitude. for that matter if i went for a house event (if), i wouldn't come with my goa attitude and say the music sucks. i would try and make the best of the situation..

so take it easy and chill, ":anger is the path of the darkside": : YODA

P.S - sorry to say this one, but deep dish prominently appear on MTV in Maddona's song Musikkkk...... when she says hey mr. Dj, its our iranian boys driving the car.. so sorry about that one, but i just thought you would like to know that.

Guest Melkiades

KS, I must say I loved your reply - honestly. I love it when someone shows me how wrong I was. I never thought - ever - that Deep Dish was on MTV. Oh well, 1-0 for you there.

But I wonder - where was the objectivity in your post ? Didn't your initial post start with a little sophism : Hahaha/////// ,man you guys are funny././. May I ask, where is the objectivity here ? And you are saying that you didn't attack ? You have the right to make subjective points by the way, we all do. But don't describe what you posted as objective - not convincing here.

That said, I do understand your point regarding not enough credit to the music producers, you're probably right about this. Our whole society is built like that: it's not the original idea you had that really counts, but more the way you present it. Everything's in the style :) Still, it's an interesting debate. What is pure creation and what is not ? When you go see a dancer perform his art, do you regret that the choreographer doesn't get enough credit, or are you not amazed by the performance ? When you see a great classical music conductor perform Mozart's Requiem, are you not elevated by his performance ? I recently heard this remix by Away Team of a Shirly Bassey song (on Stephane Pompougnac's Hotel Costes Etage 3 latest compilation). That song is totally changed, it's more than scratching and beat mixing. It's a completely new work of art. There are tons of other similar examples out there.

"if i went for a house event (if), i wouldn't come with my goa attitude and say the music sucks. i would try and make the best of the situation.."

Agreed. Same here.

peace

melkiades

Please no more threads about eurotrash. This is a psy/goa fourm. Melkiades if you agree with KS then don't come to our fourm and post about house? Deep Dish is house... we talk about space tribe, x-dream, pleiadians, hallucinogen, california sunshine... Deep Dish could only resmemble @!#$ like "the delta" new album or other minimist (effort) acts. And as far as i'm concerened those Minimial people should go to raves. and drop x and mix in the happy hardcore.

This shows everyone what minimal is doing. It attracts techno people. I mean most party photos i see anyway almost nobody has fluro on. The spirit is decaying! What is this...this...this...this.....this.

don't ever post about global "underground" here.

Guest Melkiades

hey mE

'the @!#$ you think you are ? 'the @!#$ you are to tell me what I can or cannot post here ? I'll post a hundred times about bands I believe can be compared to psy-trance, 'the @!#$ you're gonna stop me ? I started this thread. Not happy about it ? Poor little you.

Your opinion is useless, pointless and ridiculous.

You're a fanatic dude, nothing else. A fondamentalist. Psy-trance is a religion to you, and you can't accept any discussion about it. "go kill yourself" is what you posted above, shows how minimalistic...your brain nugget is.

Hate to have to reply to prehistoric unicellular beings like you, what a waste of time.

peace

melkiades

Don't bring The Delta into this, dammit. They're nothing like Deep Dish. :)

Melkiades - I get the feeling this is a turf sort of thing that's natural to all of us. Personally, and I'm sure 99% of people here would agree, Deep Dish's style does not match the style to which this site is dedicated (this is the first time in a whole year full of constant posting, for instance, that I've seen the name "Deep Dish" mentioned). We're also a little skeptical (at least 50% or so of us) towards house music in general, if not totally belligerent towards it. Not that we're closed-minded by any means, just that we have particular tastes - more of a psychological wiring dilemma than anything else. I'll restrain the desire to tell you my personal feelings towards house music, because that wouldn't do any good. What I will say is that your opinions are more or less unwelcome here, merely from a logistical standpoint (unless, of course you're looking to argue for argument's sake, in which case I think you've found a goldmine). Furthermore, I'm sure there are a million sites out there dedicated to house music (far more sites than those which are dedicated to Goa/Psytrance) that would welcome you with open arms.

Good luck finding some welcome conversation about Deep Dish and their ilk. :) EA

Epic, have you heard any of the music?

While most is crap, some of the Deep Dish compilations have music that keep what psytrance lost, a magic feeling. It has the same vibe as trance did in 94.

Btw, I will sort you under the "immature wankers" group now haha! ;)

(check my post above)

Guest Melkiades

To all here, I apologize from bringing discussion about another band, one that is not in your narrow definitions defined as psy-trance. I'm sorry for making such a major statement. I'm happy we're not in Stalin's Russia or McCarthy's america though (even though we'll be pretty close to it pretty soon, but that's another entire thread :)

D-Dave, thank you for your maturity and mostly, for your open-mindedness. I never, ever, ever said that all of Deep Dish's stuff is great. A lot of it, I agree, is crap. And I never meant to discuss house music in here. I simply said that the latest Global Underground compilation is hallucinating, a superior work of art, and resembles pretty much psy-trance. That's because I know pretty well and enjoy to a great extent the psy-trance stuff. Reading your posts, I realise that many here are stuck only into that style of music. That's one way to kill a style: no influence from outside, and no possible evolution. Hopefully, the artists beind psy-trance have another vision.

Now let's make a bet here: 99% of the wankers who bashed me here never even listened to Deep Dish's Global Underground compilation, and never will. Great attitude guys !

Won't bug you anymore, see you around !

Peace,

Melkiades

Guest Melkiades

shpongled, you can get the full album on Audiogalaxy.com, just search for Deep Dish and you'll see "Global Underground in Moscow" cd 1 and cd 2. What's great is that the whole CD is one non-stop piece, superbly mixed between tracks - never stops.

Here's a review I found about the CD. Funny how the word "trance" is mentionned many times :) Seems someone else agrees with me here :)) I hope I'm not upsetting anyone here by pasting this review. It's a great album :

Perhaps the most talented, diverse, and adventurous four hands in dance music production today, Deep Dish have fittingly chosen Moscow as the venue for their Global Underground debut. Combining the intrigue and mystery of the Russian capital with their own bottomless pit of discovery, Ali "Dubfire" Shirazinia and Sharem Tayebi weave one of GU's classic journeys. Disc one starts with 16b Vs Morel's warm, house-flavored "Escape (Driving to Heaven)," which shifts into Soul Provider's "Rise (Mas Collective Mix)." The ear-catching, Moog-like note during SSHH's smooth-stomping "Hold That Body (Wally Lopez & Dr. Kucho Remix)" is curiously addictive, and soon afterward we reach the heart of Moscow 021 with the psychedelic trance surround-sound of Chab's "The Dub Session (A Cooler Dub/A Harder Dub)." Shirazinia kicks off the second disc with a more direct nod to root influences, first using a dub-tinged Way Out West mix of BT's "Shame" before busting out a truly awesome trance dub gem, Blackwatch Presents Professor Okku's "Word Unspoken." Shuffle in other seamlessly folded treasures such as the driving Markus Shultz remix of Fatboy Slim's "Bird of Prey," the tense mystery of Accorsi/Robb's "Foundation" and the fluid denouement of Envy's "Faith," and you have another superb GU set for the collection. This record proves that in the world of trance-house DJs, Deep Dish are masters of their craft. --Steffan Chirazi

Man open minded, closed minded........ lah dee dah and blah blah...

truthfully i don't care if someone likes deep dish or alice deejay..... man its their choice.....

Melkiades - dude, the hahaaha you guys are funny, bit wasn't supposed to mean the way you took it... i was just laughing, since i knew the whole clash of two worlds taking place.....

btw.. just to set the record straight, i don't like clubby stuff (in my definition that is house/ trance (sasha, oakie style), tech-house, tech-trance, or any of that high profile kind of music.....

I enjoy other forms of music and in terms of electronica, i enjoy goa/ psy... the most, then a far second comes drum and bass (more asian underground style like talvin singh), followed by acid techno, followed by hard house (sometimes)... and i love other forms of music like led zep, the doors, the beatles, u2, metallica (they suck in the napster issue, but they are still good musicians) and many many more. so as you can see i have a varied interest in music...

and guys have respect for other's views. don't bash each other 24/7. its not good for your soul or your life......

p.s. - melkiades - don't be so gullible in future, that deep dish thing was a joke, but they did make the song which comes on mtv.. maddona only inserted the sound samples there.....

anyway peace......

Guest Melkiades

Ok KS - peace too here.

I love Talvin Singh too. I'm also very happy to have discovered this site, it's got the most comprehensive listing of psy-trance bands. Bands like Atmos and Hallucinogen are just amazing.

laterz

Melkiades

Man, I though I was being a rather friendly and communicative mediator (except about the Delta thing). I was simply stating facts.

D-Dave - I listened to some Deep Dish tracks way back when before I officially discovered psytrance, and really didn't like them. Maybe I didn't hear their good stuff. Are you meaning to tell me that they sound like early Juno and Total Eclipse and stuff like that? If so, then I think we're all missing out. I don't mind being filed as a wanker in your attache, honestly; I'm quite secure in my tastes. :) EA

Epic- Yeah maybe thats the problem. People being too secure about their tastes. I understand your joke though, I just wanna take the thought a bit further.

Yes, the feeling of some Deep Dish compilation tracks I heard share the same vibe as early trance music. And yes you have probably all missed out on some good music. I for one wanna hear more good music regardless of style.

Early goatrance was not labeled as trance but was a mix of what the DJs thought was good dance music. Some tracks played in 94 would be labeled as commercial trance, techno and/or house today. Listen to early Mark Allen tapes or whatever. Some "trance" tracks had much more housey rhytms and those lovely E-sounds that also exist in deep house today.

Deep house can be very emotional. Just like trance was when everybody was into E... And some of the E-trance from DJ Tiesto and others sound a LOT like the "goatrance" of 94 and could have been played at any goaparty anywhere. No there are some restrictions to what you can play and I kind of think that sucks.

Yes Melkiades I agree that probably most artists in the psytrance scene are more open to other influences than the common goaheads.