Fruity Loops Interface

I opened this topic to discuss whats all the fuss about FL interface, wich is praised to be easy and the most recomendble for beginners.

The whole diference in FL that make it more easy then the others sequencers is mostily because of the Step Sequencer system. The idea that we already have a large number of patterns ready for a loop section is higlhy atractive. Those patterns presents every isntrument loaded on the track and you can easily test how they sound together. Its vey usefull to make drums loops

The idea of puting together the separeted patterns on the playlist is also very atractive and "adictive" , BUT i find this rather limited and hard to take the whole sequecing potencial out

Let me explain in parts........

The Playlist

The playlist has very few tools, and there is almost no control on over what you put there. You cant edit a single part of the loop over the playlist. Forcing you to have a pattern only for the "break change',for ex when the compass is over and you just want to put a double Kick to "anounce it" the begining of another compass. Wich is something very simple, requires you to create a pattern just so you can have a loop with a double kick at the end.

That is only a simple operation, sometimes it requires a lot of patterns just to make it minor changes

Simply because the Playlist is just a place to "paste" everything

Automation System

Another simple quest that requires a lot of experience to actually get it, and before FL 5 when the Audio clips was aded, was even worst.

You have to put all of your Automation data in one single pattern, wich is higly inconvinient.

The lack of precision on the tweaking and recording required is also a major problem. It requires a powerfull a machine to do the task properly and have a good sound response, otherwise, you never know how actually turned it out until you render it

Not going to talk about the lack of Automation options. Even thou its still messy imho, i got recogonize that in this subject Image line is truely trying to develop it.

There was some major changes in FL 5 and 6

Analyses spectrum

FL doesnt have a practile way to put all of your EQ info that you need. First of all, you HAVE to load every single sound on the mixer just to see the volume range. It doesnt have a Equalizer that provides precise frequencies info( or am i missing something big?).

And if you use it the compressor on a send channel, sometimes it doesnt "read" the frequencies change on the mixer spectrum. Stays the same...

Mastering

The high use of CPU to peform it, make the whole track after a few layers to crash it and sound like it took some heroin or something. Its almost impossible to properly hear it the changes, and you have to render it so you can see the how it sounds. If the track is really complex, geez.... like a shot in the dark

That make extremily hard to put it every single sound the way you want it. And take a lot of time

So, this is one of the things i could remenber. I still use my old FL as a plug in and as a drum machine

And i find quite a good software, but i should think that they have to invest on more practils ways to "edit" and analyses the track intruments, instead of just trying to give an instant loop

I would like to see some opnions about this matter

Guest The Journey Man Project

Great drum machine, that's about all... good fun for live drums... run it thru a laptop plugged into a mixer, and have some live synths... have done it a coupla times with amate who has a waldorf micro-q and two 303's/devilfish... like old school acid tekno... if you wanna be the next infected you need the pro stuff, makes it boring and to polished.

Great drum machine, that's about all... good fun for live drums... run it thru a laptop plugged into a mixer, and have some live synths... have done it a coupla times with amate who has a waldorf micro-q and two 303's/devilfish... like old school acid tekno... if you wanna be the next infected you need the pro stuff, makes it boring and to polished.

405717[/snapback]

Indeed as a drum machine its one of the best out there

still most of my percussion rythms are written in FL, as for the rest, its harder to get there

Sorry, but... huh? No you don't.

406259[/snapback]

Yeah you are right

but, this was the way to go untill FL 4

and even if you put on diferents patterns, the automation region was very limited

and somewhat confusing

But, since Fruity 5, the Automation Clips were added, and now there is actual way to automate on a draw line system... i reckon that nows Fruity doenst have those kind of problems considering this issue