03 Glooex - Acid Balls [145]

04 Kraft - Trancepero [146]

05 Pasha 40 - Fuck Any Problem [145]

06 Fearkiller - Samba Roumba [152]

07 Transdriver - Lord of the Fly [145]

08 Abnormal Project - Prekrasnoe Daleko (rmx) [145]

09 Furious - Alliance [146]

10 Paraplan - Slushay Suda [126]

Let us take a minute to reflect on the Russian winter… just seep in the idea of the cold dark days and the god damn snow. Because that's the inspiration Vertigo Records has been building up until now. Is the sun shinning stronger these days? I was not entirely pleased with Nowhereland, settling scores with their latest Namaste, showing the Russians can also produce a melodica… with a distinctly twisted version.

01. Samadhi - Namaste From Russia **

Welcome to the most disorienting intro I have heard in a while. To begin with we are treated to a delightful play on acoustic guitar... you read it right, acoustic guitar and some tambourines extending for about a minute. Enough time to wonder if for some strange reason the folks at the pressing plant accidentally burned the latest Oasis hit instead. Well it is Samadhi and it surprisingly melodic and coherent. Rolling kicks at fast speeds with a morning spice. Melodies sputtering with catchy lines transposed with more acoustic goodness. The song does a 180 by the end saying Namaste the same way it begun. Real catchy production-wise… good stuff.

02. Furious - Electric Guitar of Furious **

Returning to the good share of home-baked artist's, Furious blasts a chaotic frenzy of envelope-pushing trance. Unsurprisingly, there is a guitar by the end and it sounds tee- riffing, but that is not even the tip of iceberg. Mechanical samples give it industrial vibes while the synth's echo in goodness, reminding of the grunge days. Very novel and ‘busy' chapter, with the sickest splashing lead I've heard in a while. I love the fact he still manages to maintain a rough level of harmonic intuition, making it a personal standout.

03. Glooex - Acid Balls *

Russian-style punishment on the lower ranges alongside a steady bass plowing through the bars. Screeching and shrilling galore with full power dementia bubbling and wavering. Not bad for a new comer.

04. Kraft - Trancepero *

Let us not confuse Pavel Kraft with the brand of cheese, cause no matter what Bordeaux you're drinking, they don't go well together. Slightly lower speeds in break beat mode, with a slinky factor of near abstraction. It barely hangs in there by a thread of eccentric melodies undergoing a chain of structured FX. Dramatic accompaniments and discordant bleepers. By now it is starting to sound more like traditional Vertigo material, minding some of the musical factor.

05. Pasha 40 - Fuck Any Problem

Well honed beats at slightly slower speeds with rippling lines much like a stone bouncing in a lake before it sinks. Bit heavy on the higher ranges, a lot of high-pitched screeching. Echoing voices discern from the effects with heavenly chanting and laughing through the vocoder with a malignant aura. Standard-issue feet stomping for the darkest days.

06. Fearkiller - Samba Roumba

Fearkiller takes us on a detour to Cuba with a Salsa intro in the best tradition of the Bacardi commercials (It's neither Samba nor Rumba – just for the record). So is this psy trance? Yeah… they just seem to get a sick pleasure of confusing the listeners with the unthinkable, since atmospheric effects will only go so far. A stretch-tastic affair of forbidden love between two musical genres whizzing with distorted trumpets and percussion, breathing some Latino air in the equation. The outcome is a bastard child of nauseating groove-dizziness.

07. Transdriver - Lord of the Fly *

As you can expect there is a buzzing noise stinging through this track much like a fly. Diverse upbeat percussion with very acceptable levels of complexity and a strong groove factor. Transdriver manages to invoke more than flies out of shebang, but I'm not too sure if there is a story behind it. In the end it moves and has strong dance-floor potential.

08. Abnormal Project - Prekrasnoe Daleko (rmx) *

As far as I could inquire ‘Prekrasnoe Daleko' is a song from the old days back in Russia that's supposed to be real nostalgic, for reasons that go beyond my Google searching skills. We can assume the original track is the one that is sampled at the beginning bringing a strange sense of wistfulness. Abnormal Project has definitely tuned up a bit form my last encounter with ‘Alien' cooking a saucy version of the old classic; which I haven't heard, but it does not take a genius to realize there are notes in there which once belonged to a ‘normal' track. It's still psychedelic with an interesting twist even for non-nationals.

09. Furious - Alliance

A second serving of Furious keeps dropping the pace with mixed feelings about the outcome. This is almost clubby. For the first time in Vertigo history we find straightforward morning arpeggios that don't sound like bears farting. That said is not bad… but not very psy. There is still a bit of edge by the second part and it might be a good connector to slowly, but surely start brining a set into darker locations, a bit like “Good & Evil” from Psyfactor.

10. Paraplan - Slushay Suda

Get ready, cause this time they decided to close the compilation with a house experiment. At this point in time I am sure the people at the pressing plant fucked up. Either that or Paraplan's logic rises higher than my close-minded preconceptions of how dark-trace label should end the book. My guess is they are trying something new here and the first part of the song works great. That is, until those melodies just come in and I start getting visions of… the Teletubbies… hmm… Russian cheese Babka.

* Favourites

All and all :

So here it is... Vertigo's attempt at morning trance and I found a number of blasters with a spice I was really not expecting. I had prepared myself for the worse with two advils and glass water and I found dawn instead. Its clear one or two chapters didn't cut it personally, but the rest deserve a listen. Happy to announce I have coined the term Full-on-power-dark-morning-neo-high-tech-trance so make way for a new sub-genre! ;)

Where to Get:

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2101

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5244

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ver/ver1cd004.html

http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...howDetail=85809

More reviews @ > http://www.sonic-energy.net

Great compilation... i really love the Furious track (elec. guitar.. etc.. which is ultrafunky!) and the abnormal project one... (That break with those synths! Amazing.. *goosebump moment*).. not exactly morning but not darkpsy either... but its a very REFRESHING compilation at least! With some nice last years V.A. Schizm type songs... way better than V.A. Nowhereland (avoid that one) get this!

great compilation!great vertigo records company also!all tracks nice! Congratulations,i wish good luck to u guys

Fearkiller,is Kirill from russia moscow,very nice person & power special music! all the best

om shanti

bLoOm

~ love ~ balance ~ harmony ~ peace ~ unity ~ respect