OLD ambient vinyls

RTP

So ... there is this vinyl store which sells used vinyl for a really cheap price, but the point is, all the cheap ones are pretty old, older than me, probably vinyl collections found in attics or basements during a house cleanout or something (they all smell of basement, lol :D ). And I have hardly any experience with artists of the 80s or late 70s or early 90s as I was a small child back then. Point is, there for sure are some gems hidden in the collection (I already found Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene special club edition for 2 freaked euros :D ) and several other Mike Oldfield and Jarre stuff. Really nice. But now my question is, aren't there any good other artists? I mean, I can't always dig for Oldfield or Jarre, one day there won't be any vinyls of them anymore, you know?

My question now is, do you know any artists that have released vinyls in the late 70s or 80s or early 90s that could be of interest to somebody that likes the modern ambient of today (I'm not saying psy as I don't think I'll find anything really psy there)? Artists like Jean Michel Jarre (perfect), Mike Oldfield (already a bit too many vocals, but still good) or something like that? New Age can count too ... but please not too classical...

Please, I need your help.

Oh wow, thanks!

I knew Bahamut could help me out :D

I guess I'll go hunting for some stuff!

Well, I really went there today and there were two Klaus Schulze vinyls - Dune and Timewind, but for about 10 Euro each. Not as cheap as I expected, therefore I didn't take them (I don't take stuff that I don't know for that price)...

(However, I found a Shiva Chandra - Lunaspice CD in mint condition there :P )

But that list of old artists I wanna make is not only for that store, there's another reason: in December there will be a big ass record fair, one that's so big you need more than one full day to see all vinyls they sell there - at least last time there were freaking tons of them. And I was so fucking lost there last time ... I absolutely need a big list of artists to look for, because when you haven't got something like that in your head you can spend weeks there...

Vangelis

Brian Eno

Klaus Schulze

Tangerine Dream

Edgar Froese (tangerine dream main man)

Michael Hoenig

Ash Ra Tempel (Manuel Göttsching)

Tomita

Kitaro

Early Michael Stearns, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Jonn Serrie

362799[/snapback]

That pretty much covers everything

Well...

I looked on Gnoosic and they recommended me (besides some of those above)Christopher Franke, Peter Baumann, Ron Boots and Rainbow Serpent.

Are those good recommendations?

Peter Baumann and Christopher Franke are former members of Tangerine Dream. Together with Edgar Froese they made the classics like Phaedra and Rubycon in the 1970s. Apparently they also did some solo music later... I think Franke did the music for the sci-fi series Bablyon 5... I wouldn't know if their stuff is any good.

Peter Baumann and Christopher Franke are former members of Tangerine Dream. Together with Edgar Froese they made the classics like Phaedra and Rubycon in the 1970s. Apparently they also did some solo music later... I think Franke did the music for the sci-fi series Bablyon 5... I wouldn't know if their stuff is any good.

365014[/snapback]

Well, I checked a little and Franke's music is too much classical for me :P

Peter Baumann's stuff I don't know yet.

It's funny though that the two and Edgar Froese together are Tangerine Dream ... if you search Gnoosic it spits out Tangerine Dream and all three solo members seperately :D

• 1 month later...

YAY, I have been to the record fair!

And thanks to the infos I got here I have found some Tangerine Dream stuff and a KITARO double vinyl :wub:! I guess I'd not have taken the stuff if I didn't have gotten the recommendations :)

YAY, YAY, YAY!

Thanks again :)

Well...

I looked on Gnoosic and they recommended me (besides some of those above)Christopher Franke, Peter Baumann, Ron Boots and Rainbow Serpent.

Are those good recommendations?

364978[/snapback]

Rainbow Serpent has at least few really good tracks... can't remember the names because I don't have them anymore (they were in my previous computer/hd).