3.Terpsihore-DJ Dose Not Metter

4.Manga-Elektra

5.Rabdom L-Code Red (Mind Control rmx)

6.Insect Seeker-Goa Freak Shiva

7.Penta-Noise Complant

8.DarkPsy-I Feel

9.Wizack Twizack-Soldiers Of The Dark

Style:Dark/Hard Full On

Wow, Inti Raimy is back! The sub-label of Acidance returns with an interesting compilation in the standards of Acidance sound, a compination of Dark psy with Hard Full On.

First track by Sungirl from Russia. Why Sungirl and why Sunshine? All of her tracks are really dark psy-trance (or night if you prefer that term). Air Water And Sunshine is a typical dark track with the well-known distorted sounds and fast basslines. In the middle of the track we get a simple melody and the track builds enough to become a ‘semi-killer’ track. Nice one!

Highko with Taurus. Hard full on with a touch of a darker style. FX demostration and fast basslines, noisy sounds panning left and right and a really furious last minute for some dancefloor smashing. If you like Winter Demon and Wizard Lizard style you will dig this one too.

Track 3 from Terpsihore. I knew a Terpsichore group (with a ‘c’) of the old-school days but I guess it’s another one. Anyway, ‘DJ Dose Not Metter’ is one of the best tracks here. An aggressive bassline which kicks some serious ass and a weird funky sample about ‘the music we like and blah, blah’. The noisy sounds which Parasense gave to the scene years ago are present here again but compined in a really great way. Psychedelic, pumping track, great!

Manga with Elektra. Again Parasense sounds and an even faster bassline, around minute 5 we have a nice night melody, after one minute again a simple dark melodic line and it ends with some FX madness again. Ok track.

Rabdom L returns! Mr.Hudson well known South African producer and member of the legendary group Twisted System hits the comp with a killer track again. Great bass, fat snares and groovin’ melodies. In minute 4 the track builds with a fast melody and ends with more insanity and power and a cool melody. Not his best track for sure (The Decoy wins that prize) and less good than the Twisted stuff but an amazing track, one of the best here.

Insect Seeker aka Killer Buds and another guy from Brazil. I’ve heard a track from them, the Bicicleta in Peacemaker comp. and it was insane. Now, Goa Freak Shiva is more melodic with a fairytale melody as an intro. The track is more night than morning track, with nice melodies and dark pads, it sounds a bit like the early full on tracks of 1999-2000 period. Not a Goa track of course but the most melodic track here and much better production than their previous works.

Penta, just before his new album be released gives us a real stomper. Rolling bassline again, nice samples, impressive work in the FX, some simple but raw melodies and funny sounds all together in a very good track.

DarkPsy from Portugal is next, again an artist with a coming soon album. I don’t know what you think about his artist name but he’s true. This is Dark Psy. Dark bass, dark pads and some of the best psycho-distorted FX I’ve heard recently. In minute 4 there’s a big sample from ‘I, Robot’ movie around 1:50 minute long and madness starts again with more liquid super psychedelic effects and harder bassline. Great track, can’t wait for his debut LP.

Last track from Wizack Twizack. Not a dark track actually but certainly not a morning too, this belongs more in the hard full on genre than in the dark. Again the usual sounds and ideas. Not that crazy or powerful, Soldiers Of The Dark is a nice track but too typical IMO.

Overall, a very good compilation for both Dark and aggressive-Psy lovers in the well known Acidance style. A great come back for Inti Raimy. 8/10

Fav: 2,3(!),5,6,7,8(!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

V/A Theta Frequencies [inty Raimy]

Compiled by Dj Mars (not to confund with Mars from Psynews/Suntrip).

1. Sungirl –Air Water And Sunlight

2. Highko – Taurus

3. Terpsihore – Dj Dose Not Metter

4. Manga – Elektra

5. Rabdom L – Code Red ( Mind Control Remix)

6. Insect Seeker – Goa Freak Shiva

7. Penta – Noise Complaint

8. Darkpsy – I Feel

9. Wizack Twizack – Soldiers Of The Dark

1. Sungirl welcomes you in Air Water & Sunlight with a rumbling & rolling bassline, quicly joined by several sharpened tones & a dark gurgling lead at 0’50. A little break at 2’12 & others one around 3’30 then nothing really interesting to mention upto the end. The worry is there are too many false breaks & it really lacks of a solid melody coppled with more vitality & energy nevertheless the production is smooth & clean though that’s not enough for me. The puffing aspect could probably be attenuated when included in the middle of a mix.

2. Taurus begins more kickin & with cutting hithats from 0’57. There’s many strange samples such as a guy shouting from 0’55. A sort of electric drill makes his appearance at 2’18 bringing a bit more of unpolished flavour to the tune while a weird twisted & hypnotic layer takes place in the background since the 1’25. Then not too much evolutions, the track is following this trend except some nice bass tone change from 6’44 & the nervous tense climax is happening during the last 1’30 in 2 steps. It’s a decent song but the numerous used of the shouting guy sample all along can turn out wearisome.

3. Here is another case of employ of an already heard elsewhere sample in a psytrance stuff ‘Yeah, listen to me, i wanna ask you something : Have you ever wonder why we love this music ? i wanna tell you a story : it’s all about me & my friend going to the club. Ahah we gather every Saturday night & it doesn’t matter … who the dj is’ (PTX – Who The DJ Is to be precize). Please artists make some efforts & avoid these shared samples database, your productions really suffer from this lack of creativity ; btw also stop your engrish bullshit mispelling in your trackname too, it would be appreciated. So how about the music here ? It’s at the same level as the engrish title & the employ of this sample suggest : a quite average untasty & undigest production.

4. Would things improve now with Manga & his Elektra ? From the start you’ve got the feeling with Manga things will go in a silly spirit. It’s particularly the case with tons of funny samples in the background from 2’40 it’s about a tiger who’s roaring , gunshots, broken glasses & someone fighting. Another funny sound at 3’50, it’s imitating a boomerang throwing i think. I sweet unexpected melody loop occurs at 5’07. At 6’07 the previous melody has now muted in twisted & psychedelik way, with a slow decomposition of the melody at the end of the sequence. Guess what, the tune ends up on some new weirdo samples :D, a very entertaining one.

5. From the South African trio Twisted System, Rabdom L is probably the most discret from a production’s quantity view, so this tune quite intrigues me. To be cash, i think Rabdom L posseeds the closest production universe to the Twisted System project: heavy tones, pachydermic rythmic, very powerful, boisterous & brassy backfiring sounds. Around 1’00 some nice sonar sounds are present, you can also expect one of the Twisted System tradremark i forget previously: a strident apocalyptic layer like at 2’45. From 4’08 a new lead arrives perfectly contributing to conger a more deelpy tormented atmosphere. From 5’40 another Timecode usual tones appears : the barking dog lead, but this time it must be a chihuahua as it sounds much sharpier than usual.

6. Goa Freak Shiva seems, from the start, to fight in a different register with a soft, nice intro melody. I find out this to be slightly more coloured & much more explosive in the psychedelik soundscape. I find this tune to receal a very good sound production & also an interesting tones contrast supported without doubt by a solid & serious mastering. Insect Seeker uses lots of reverb (from 1’00) or echoes & delay (from 2’30) on their leads which contributes to reinforced the deepness, the thickness of the song. You like it when it’s melodic, strong, crazy & thick, so this one is for you.

7. Time for another hit from this compilation, with Penta we come back too toward dark hard stomping beats. The feeling is very angry, irritated like show the fat metal electric riff at 1’44. From 3’00 there’s 2-3 strange hammered sounds coming. Just after a new happy & bouncy festish lead arrives soon eaten by a huge overheating engine which over-throbs. 4’33 a very incisive & strident lead takes the relay upto 5’12 time for a little break with a funny big voice sample from an easy-going man, this voice reappears later on at 5’57. The metal electric riffs were missing you & the happy boundy festish lead too ? Don’t move they’re making a short return for the climax ending.

8. We keep going here with the dark & heavy kickin way. So let’s tell it quickly, I Feel is very fat & powerful. 4’00 is the time of a long spoken sample between 2-3 protagonists among which one is a girl, another a boy & last is a robotized voice saying a nice ‘one of us’ for example, during it the track’s structure is relaunched progresively. When the speech sample ends (at 5’20), it remains less than 1’30 for the tune to go & it gives me the impress our 3 previous characters were like in a rush in order to escape from a collapsing subterranean tunnel.

9. Still dark & fill in with maximum’s energy, Soldiers Of The Dark closes Theta Frequencies with another decent dark level production, less effective or inventive & resulting more basic maybe than previous ones but still enjoyable. I’ve noticed here, the use of some fresh voice samples & that’s always welcome compared to some other artists.

Excepting the 3 first tracks which are really weak (The highko’s one is just average indeed), the rest is eitheir brainblasting or good.

Climaxs :4,6,7,8

Others good moments :5,9

Only 7,5/10 due to the inequal quality mainly resulting from the beginning of the compilation & just one question : isn’t Inti Raimy originally aimed to release more melodic psychedelik stuffs compared to the darker Acidance’s side coz i’ve probably missed some melodic parts here ;).