2. Double R.E.L - Back Dad City [146]

3. ccL - ccL [142]

4. Terranoise - Vitamin T [147]

5. Abomination and Loren - White Devil [145]

6. Encephalopaticys - Moments of Pain [148]

7. Electrotrypnose - Cypher [145]

8. Kashyyyk - Charly and Ervin [145]

9. Cactus - Psych Reaction [146]

Another slammer from Doof arrives with an order of summer grooves. Now let's not forget who is releasing this, so don't expect fluff. This is charged with a good roster of artists and the emblematic heavy drumming you have heard in the past. In my view, it's a DJ resource packed with a number of tools and a few fillers, but worthy enough to get the plastic.

1- Entropy – Robosize

Pitt & Omer open the compilation with their characteristic sound: a doze industrial jarring noises whilst the lower ranges are bombarded at around 145 BMPs. Sampling of ‘Beautiful things, taking you away' reappear in the periphery as it was heard previously in Golikem – Atmadelica (“The Virgin Ritual”). I do miss a big break and peak in the song, it just seems like it would add little more dance-floor-explosion potential.

2- Double R.E.L – Back Dad City

There's a witch hunting this track and her name is Brunella. If the voice is any indication of anything, this is not the woman you want sleeping next to you after a stormy night… well, maybe you are that kind of guy. As for the song -the double duo brings electri-rrific bass structures, keeping it fresh and vibrant throughout the song. Some squelching comes in quasi-riff form in between stuttering sample snippets, echoing a jagged musical edge.

3- ccL – CcL

The formerly known Zebra-N project just got a name-lift and this is their result. The track starts off with vocodic blips and children speak as the reverbed kicks rumble at slightly lower speeds. It's nothing mind bending, but trippy enough. It fits the compilation sound… I feel like at some point they all traded FX-design tips because sometimes, I have trouble differentiating one sound from the other.

4- Terranoise – Vitamin T

This particular vitamin you will not find in your daily Centrum… in all probability not even in the 'mega-man' supplements either… It's the kind of substance that goes right through the ear temples quickly traveling to the brain, in the form binaural effects at high frequency modulations. What does this mean? Well, is good head-bobbing music for starters. The effects I can only describe as sonic splashes, spluttering the speakers.

5- Abomination & Loren – White Devil

Chanting like you would expect to find in the closing minutes of the lord of the rings movie, comes delayed alongside a voice that sounds a lot like the character of Chef from South Park. The man preaches something about hating the white devil as spectral pads of a church-organ simmer in the higher ranges. The melody here keeps things interesting enough. A tasty dish in deed.

6- Encephalopaticys – Moments of pain

This project is strategically aimed at dance-floor confusion. If you enjoy watching the poor dancers stop for a minute in their nightly work out, to faintly look at each other wondering ‘what just happened' then you might get a kick out of this one. The spatial effects remind a bit of Jellyheadz as the focus of the song, is clearly aimed at those trancing at higher states of consciousness.

7- Electrynopse – Cyper

Vince Le Barde always brings a smile to my face... as usual the level of sonic interaction and complexity unfolds with marching-time pulsations. As far as I'm concerned this guy seldom disappoints. The output is a heavy sample extravaganza that somehow exudes very danceable harmonic dashes in the form quasi-trumpets, sticking to a very psychedelic treatment of manic inclinations.

8- Kashyyyk – Charly & Ervin

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard about this project before. As for the song? Well this is the story of Charly & Ervin and apparently they just got raffle tickets. Or so the cartoonish voice informs. The drums here are steep, warm and furious. The Bass line twists with a very tasty octet variation by the tail. Enjoying the higher ranges flooding the speakers like ocean waves, breaking amidst the shores of alien landscapes. Synthesizers spit out some rotor-like noises gravitating and unfolding at varying revolutions… More dance-floor disorientation. Juicy!

9- Cactus – Psych reaction

Cactus sounds like a stampede of elephants on the lower ranges. And how could they miss this act on the compilation? I'm going to guess the song was dedicated to an ex girlfriend, warmly refer to as ‘psychotic bitch'. There is no easy way to describe how this goes about, without sounding like a broken record. Rest assured is the same treatment of sample madness and relentless banging you have heard in the past. If you are into that new school of sound that favors bleaps, squeaks, chirps and the likes over a recurring melody, then this will not disappoint.

All and all :

Doof has clearly found a niche with a characteristic sound. It is a underground collection of mid-night artists, looking to retain a very subtle musical edge, not meant to appeal to grandma or Aunt Wilma... If you have been enjoying previous compilations this year like V/A - Forest or V/A - Booo this one shouldn't be left unheard.

Favourites:

1, 2, 5, 7, 8

more reviews, where to get > http://sonic-energy.net