2. Question and answer

3. Stop the press

4. Bokoboko

5. Fifty

6. Electrology

7. State of confusion (vs DJ Beka)

8. Own Desire (vs DJ Senix)

9. Wicked Jimmy

I just love it when I'm pleasantly surprised by an artist/album. In this case, I didn't know anything about Triptych (the guy has already released an album, Lost Paradise, so I have to track it down!) but a friend recommended this album. Long story short, this little gem is funky, groovy, pure fun psytrance is made for the summertime (not that its that much "psy" but again the whole genre has moved away from real psychedelia, imo)! I find Triptych's sound a breath of fresh air. It has the uplifting and joyful atmosphere of morning fullon without taking itself too seriously (tongue-in-cheek samples all over the place) and yet it succeeds in avoiding the stereotypes (buildups, epic melodies, and "that" bassline). You can't really pigeonhole this one in terms of genres and subgenres, it blends progressive house, prog trance, ravey synth sounds with the modern meaty groove of fullon while having crystal clear deep sound. It just stands out for me, I can't help it! This will work wonders in morning sets, I can imagine myself dancing to this funkadelia under the sun with a huge smile on my face...

This is pure FUN!! One of my favorites for this summer! :)

i like epic melodies :(

i thought triptych was really dark progressive eh.. hmm

304819[/snapback]

This is very melodic!! In a relaxed, ethereal, summery approach though. Not stressfully orchestrated rigid melodies. And no its not dark progressive (at least not this album). Give it a try, I think you will like it traveller...

This is very melodic!! In a relaxed, ethereal, summery approach though. Not stressfully orchestrated rigid melodies. And no its not dark progressive (at least not this album). Give it a try, I think you will like it traveller...

304821[/snapback]

hmm i thought they were at transit festival last summer.. then again i was very drunk around 2-3 weeks in a row.. hmm <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have had Protoculture's (absolutely awesome) "Natural Selection" compilation for a little while now, and there's a track on that compilation by Triptych that i really, really like, called "celtych", so i decided to go out on a limb and spend my pennies on this Electrology album. Here's what i think...

We start out with a nice 2:05 long intro, which nicely leads into Track2 Question and answer. This track uses a voice-sample of the same name of the track title over and over and over and over... It has a great Drum-beat and it's a nice tune, and parts of it are just itchin' to belch out and develop into a really cool trancy style, but IMO it gets de-graded by the way that the various voice samples are used way too much. It also gets into a kind-of clubby vibe with another ill-used voice-sample sadly.

Track3 Stop the press continues the strangeness, especically at the start :) but then it gets a little bit better, but it's a weird mix of beats and sounds that make this tune into what it is, the -what seems to me- very experimental peice of the album. With lots of samples thrown in here like "baaatmaaaan", and "we've got a live one here" from the batman movie. Basically it really bugs me when i hear an absolutely awesome melody rip into different parts of this track after hearing weirdness and strange samples that i don't like because i can hear how the track could have grown into something more, mixing itself more around the melody and doing away with the some of the samples...

Track4 Bokoboko brings us out of the laughing jack and Krazy-Klown posse and into a better and pleasant tune, the main "we want to rock the nation" robot voice and "fantasy" samples don't bother me as much as #3 and i almost enjoy this one. If anything it seems like it was designed for the Dance Floor.

Track5 Fifty tries to experiment with a fun sample about reverb and eq, and then gets into it's beat and general sound from there-on-in. Lots of voice-samples used here, which builds the song into a repetitive thing that i don't find too exciting. My fussy perspective is that this track takes too long to get into it's melody and when it does the track is only a couple of minutes away from finishing...

Track6 "Electrology" works a bit better, takes a good 4 minutes before getting into it's funky and very trippy melody, once there it just owns all the way to the finish. :)

Track7 State of confusion keeps the mood flowing and gets me boppin' to it (with some really nice stuff here). But Track8 Own desire uses a repeating sample "what is that look for" which gets repetitive and could be used less, but the song really grows into a nice tune! Track9 Wicked Jimmy works, but again uses voice-samples that almost work, but really don't help it overall.

Conclusion.

At 67 minutes and 58 seconds long, i feel like we could have been given a bit more to this CD as there's enough space left for a track10, or a better fleshed out track, but we don't get that.

There are alot of tracks on this CD that aren't quite on my audiotory pleasure level. And, as you can tell i have difficulty enjoying voice samples in psytrance tunes. Voice samples can make (i.e.: Astral Projection's Anything is possible, People can fly, Dancing galaxy, just to name a few) or break a song, and i usually prefer a solid track designed wholey around melodies and textured layers and soundscapes, so sadly i did not enjoy this album as much as i had hoped i would. Triptych has fused the majority of this album with many some-what well-suited voice-samples and some not so well suited.

Overall, I think this album will definately grow on me and i am glad i brought it... 6/10.