Is this deal worth it?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/uk...LearnMore=B9853

I want a microphone and an audio interface to hook it up to my mac. Is this a good buy? (bearing in mind I will want to record vocals, piano and percussion)

285357[/snapback]

Looks nice to me :)

But don't take my word for it - I don't really play with mics that often.

Guest .::E.P

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/uk...LearnMore=B9853

I want a microphone and an audio interface to hook it up to my mac. Is this a good buy? (bearing in mind I will want to record vocals, piano and percussion)

285357[/snapback]

It's quite ok but I would not buy it from Apple. They tend to raise their prices a bit. Look around and I am sure you'll find the same for less money.

I'll answer your questions very soon ;)

It's quite ok but I would not buy it from Apple. They tend to raise their prices a bit. Look around and I am sure you'll find the same for less money.

285522[/snapback]

I know about Apple, but this saves a bit of money (separately the Fast Track and Mic come to about £110)

Money isn't the point here. I just need a decent quality microphone or two to record percussion, piano and vocals and a decent audio interface. I was just wondering if this would be a good buy for that kind of stuff. :)

I know about Apple, but this saves a bit of money (separately the Fast Track and Mic come to about £110)

Money isn't the point here. I just need a decent quality microphone or two to record percussion, piano and vocals and a decent audio interface. I was just wondering if this would be a good buy for that kind of stuff.  :)

285535[/snapback]

I dont really know this mic, probabaly because its sennheiser, you should go for an AKG, Shure, RØDE, or some of those brands. i am considering buying a Audio-Technica At 4040 or 4033 i dont remeber, but check siome reviews out of that sennheiser mic before buying it :)

what interface do you need, firewire, pci, laptop card or usb?

if you just need a interface for a stationary computer, and for small money i would go for the e-mu 0404. excellent card at very small costs. if you need more channels then its gonna be more expensive off course

Oh sorry. :)

I run a mac mini (1.25ghz/512 RAM) but will probably upgrade (either to a powerbook G4 or a powermac G5) in the near future. So FireWire interface would be the best option as then I can use it on multiple macs.

Hi Shaft,

the problem with your demands are as follows: the sm 57 is very good for percussion seeing since its a dynamic mic. dynamic mics can handel way more spl (sound pressure level) ideal for loud drum kits and live situations. for an accoustic piano however it is proberbly better to use 2 condenser mics (fatter sound, better dynamics, the prefered studio mic). using a condenser mic to record say a snare will probarbly damage the membrane. condenser mics however will need a powersupply (Phantom power +48v). check out the M-Audio Pre USB.... there are others of course....

link:M Audio PreUSB

EDIT ( I think we answerd at the same time so i didnt see your post about fire wire)

Hi Shaft,

the problem with your demands are as follows: the sm 57 is very good for percussion seeing since its a dynamic mic. dynamic mics can handel way more spl (sound pressure level) ideal for loud drum kits and live situations. for an accoustic piano however it is proberbly better to use 2 condenser mics (fatter sound, better dynamics, the prefered studio mic). using a condenser mic to record say a snare will probarbly damage the membrane. condenser mics however will need a powersupply (Phantom power +48v). check out the M-Audio Pre USB.... there are others of course....

link:M Audio PreUSB

285598[/snapback]

Ah thanks. So the SM57 is a good choice for drums then? Good :)

Yeah I thought I might need two mics for the piano, what condenser microphones do you recommend? I want something that's in about the same price range as the SM57.

And will both the microphones (the condenser and the 57) plug into this Pre USB?

ok, so neuman and rode are out of the question in that price range. there are quite a few (some cheap) condenser mics that have been flooding the market in the last couple of years. however i honestley do not have experience with these "clones".

for instance makes like: t-bone, samson, beyerdynamic and others are worth checking out......

read some of these articles:Sound On Sound

some condenser mics cost as litle as €50.-.......

as to your quesion wether the interface will suport dynamic and condenser mics: yes, just turn of the phantom power to use dynymic mics.

ok, so neuman and rode are out of the question in that price range. there are quite a few (some cheap) condenser mics that have been flooding the market in the last couple of years. however i honestley do not have experience with these "clones".

285622[/snapback]

Hmm.. Condensers are pretty expensive, you're right about Rode being out of the question. I suppose that owning one made by a quality manufacturer such as Rode would be cost effective seeing as it is professional quality and I won't need to buy another for some time. What experience have you got with condensers?

well im by no means the dogs bollox when it comes to recording techniques, i have had experience with the neuman u87, in vocal work (sung and spoken), over head (drums) and recording accoustic guitar (all studio situations). ive also had some experience with the rode nt1 also vocal work, and accoustic guitar. however i do not own any of these....sob... :(

there was a link to the neumann sound engineer contest i wanted to post for you, but sadly it no longer exists. however still check their web page you might find it usefull, they also have a forum with experienced audio engineers.

Link:neumann.com

there is also a great litle pdf book by M-Audio called "Record Now - Choosing and Using Microphones" which you might find usefull.

Link: M-Audio Microphone Guide

if you do decide to buy a "clone", read some reviews, there are budget condenser mics that can be very satisfactory even around €100.-. obviously when compared to mics in the top leaque, they will have floors, but nothing you couldnt live with.

Logic  :lol:

i'd say go for cubase sx3, but lets not go that way with this topic  :D

286088[/snapback]

What's wrong with Logic?

(And it would be alright to do that, I'm inexperienced and need to know about music technology!)

What's wrong with Logic?

(And it would be alright to do that, I'm inexperienced and need to know about music technology!)

286143[/snapback]

well if you own a mac, then just stick to Logic. i heard that cubase doesnt work very well on mac's.

i guess the biggest difference between cubase and logic is probably the GUI (Graphic user interface). but if you already have logic then don't worry, im shure you'll figure out thats the software for you. i did with Cubase :-)

Nope, don't have Logic yet (too damn expensive!!)

I know a friend who has it, I'll try it out at his house. :)

286209[/snapback]

then remeber to kick him out! :)

It can take some days before you become good friends with Logic :)

then remeber to kick him out!  :)

It can take some days before you become good friends with Logic  :)

286712[/snapback]

LOL! Can't do that! :lol:

Yeah, as with any application. :)

Ummm hate to break this to you all but logic rules the universe. The difference between cubase and logic is not as superficial as the GUI. Its environment is perhaps the most advanced user definable virtual workspace out there today. The flexibility of possibilities is endless in the environment. Of course most people are not going need this type of power. If you want a product that just 'works' and works more or less one way any other sequencing/audio suite will do. If you plan on taking your production a step further and get deeper into where the bits meet the bites logic will become your new messiah.

Dementia