Goan people and tourits

Have you been in Goa or similar place... I would like to know what local people think about party people/freaks/drugs and other tourists.

Does party organizers/people clean up the place after party?

:)

I think I am quite well suited to answer this question - I stayed for 4 months in Goa in a region devoid of parties, teaching in a high school during the week and partying over the weekends and New Year. I lived with a Goan family in their home, ate with them and basically lived their lifestyle. Since then, I have married a Canadian who's parents are from Goa and spend a lot of time talking with them about their homeland.

So ... what's the opinion ...

the answer is mixed ! Very few actively participate in the parties except in cashing in by providing food, places to stay etc, though there are a few Goan people, and a lot from Bombay who are into the party music. Most tolerate the goings on provided they don't cause problems (and usually they don't) but there are some who find it offensive that their beautiful land is overrun with freaks.

The more objective ones prefer the party travellers as they stay in the local communities with minimal environmental impact and the money they bring goes straight to the people of the goan community. The real problem in Goa is the package tourism and the elite hotels - the purple meanies who consume water at such a rate that whole villages lose their supply at various times of day. They employ people from elsewhere in India (though of course some are Goan) and most of the money flows out of India to the multinational hoteliers. The trucks used to carry building materials have torn up the already bad roads, and the waste that comes from the hotels is not disposed of properly. There is very little in the way of environmental planning in Goa - and what there is can be easily avoided with a little baksheesh. In addition, the government limited the licensing of beach hut restaurants in order to prevent the locals from making money off the package tourists who then have to eat/drink only what they pay for in the hotels.

Actually this is an area which is going to be in massive difficulty if it isn't more careful - soon the tourists won't find pristine beaches anymore and they'll go somewhere else. This is an issue which concerns the locals more than us party-heads who really only occupy a few km of beach near Anjuna.

bomble

Guest Flying Kundalini

yes.. I have to agree here.. especially about the envrionmental planning in Goa.

It saddened me to see rubbish just being dumped anywhere and not being taken care of in any way..left for the pigs and dogs who have great difficulty in digesting plastic water bottles...some locals don't approve of the "smokers" - people who come just to take drugs and dance the night away, however some locals enjoy the party scene immensely so there is obviously two sides to it.. the travellers or "long termers" aren't much of a problem but the package tourism is destroying the land.. I was quite glad to see not half as many tourists this year (due to the war).. not many English,French and Germans embarrising themselves and their country..luckily the divine parties are now in the south in beautiful and relatively unspoilt areas such as Palolem and Gokarna...

BomS

I say then somebody there should be doing something about clean up. It's the locals responsiblity, to make sure tourists don't destroy the land... not the tourists responsiblity... I hope local indians don't just let the trash there rot in the feilds... that sucks

Say no to plastic bag!

I've seen lots and lots of plastic bottles laying around in India, and I guess it's the foreign tourists drinking mineral water, not the indians. They should get rid of the of theor garbage in a propper way, it's their responsiblity.

But maybe the ndians never clean, that's why I saw so much plastic laying around.

Guest Elysium Project

mE that is a typical narrowminded opinion... What about all the turists obligation not to destroy the goan nature??

If I was a goan resident I would be quite angry with all the rich spoiled brats invading Goa these days. It seem from what I have been told (from people going there the last many years) that more and more people go there without even caring about Goa, the locals and the nature... They treat the locals with NO respect and do not care about anything but them selves, drugs and parties. I 100% understand if the gouvernment start to stike harder against these violations.

Well only a couple of words here... local goans hate the trance scene... they think of it as a group of crazy people hyped up on lsd who destroy the peace and tranquility of their land.. they do not understand anything about the scene..

the locals in the northern beaches of anjuna and vagator are more tolerant, since the scene provides them livelyhood.. as a result most trancers never get to see the angry locals..

but go ask a cabbie or a shopkeeper even in clangute, or look at some goan newspapers, you will see what i am trying to say.. anyway thats that...

peace,,,

because they bite. and because when i was younger i was bullied by a gang of plastic bags. but i don't hate all of them. some of them are good individuals. in fact, my sister's married to a plastic bag...