Old CPU

Hi !

I have an 1,1 Ghz AMD Athlon with 256Mb RAM some on board craps... and it cries whena I run my Fruity Loops... I can´t run a Reason with more than 3 VSTis

Just wanna know if improving my RAM would be enogh or just need to buy a decent comp. What are you guys using ? (comp config and VST ???)

Hi !

I have an 1,1 Ghz AMD Athlon with 256Mb RAM some on board craps...  and it cries whena I run my Fruity Loops... I can´t run a Reason with more than 3 VSTis

Just wanna know if improving my RAM would be enogh or just need to buy a decent comp. What are you guys using ? (comp config and VST ???)

257757[/snapback]

I'm amazed you can even run VSTs with reason

i have a 366MHz IBM ThinkPad 600E with 288MB and it's almost good enough! :) for movies and playing music and surfing.

although i don't make music with it. is several GHz's really what's required in order to make music with decent programs these days...? if you don't have the GHz's then is the only other option a tracker...? hmm... just curious since you never know...i might get interested in making some tracks myself too in the future... :)

Reason with VSTi's????? Does this exist?

Anyhoo. Some CPU's are just plain bad at audio. The realtime effects thing really hits them hard. I used to have the same problem with an Intel Celeron 1,1gig. It's just not an audio chip. All I could do was change it.

For now. Run Reason in 22000khz while you are working in it and you'll get a bit more headroom. Then render your tune at 44 and you'll get the quality back. Also play with your latency settings a bit.

But get another chip.

although i don't make music with it. is several GHz's really what's required in order to make music with decent programs these days...?

258904[/snapback]

Put simply yes. You need at least 1Ghz processer and 512MB RAM. I have 1.25Ghz processer and 512MB RAM on my Mac Mini - though I 'cheat' and render tracks to disc to free up processing power. But yes the CPU must be adequate in the first place to use external synthesisers etc.