Sampled from Poetry

Basilisk

Look, Hollywood is boring and cliche. The dialogue is already dumbed-down for popcorn audiences, so why use this shit in your music? In most cases it is either terrible or tolerable. There are a few exceptions, but seldom is there much meaning behind it all. Flip this practise on its ear.

Two songs come to mind that have particularly evocative sample work. I traced the origin of both and was delighted to find the source of the words...

Space Safari - Sweet Little (sampled from Edgar Allan Poe's Ulalume)

Matenda - Kravata (sampled from Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est)

How about exploring this sort of territory, if one is to include spoken works in their art?

Anyone know any others with nice evocative words like these?

The almighty italians were heavily into Jim Morrison quite early on, and while I'm not into poetry much, that's some seriously high-class trippy stuff. Moon In Your Window, Intense Visitation, and some more I think, but it's too early in the morning =)

But I agree there Basilisk, the hollywood crap isn't cutting it. But I somehow doubt that 19-year old kids with the latest VSTi's will make sense of any "higher" poetry, if they would bother tracking it down at all.

But this gaev ME good ideas for sample material =)

There are a bunch of spoken word recordings of various poets. I'm waiting to hear Allen Ginsberg's 'Howl' in a psy track one of these days.

Though Bill Hicks samples are pretty common, and he's rather good.