Analog pussy - Trance N Roll (AP records, 2004)

Manuser

Analog pussy - Trance N Roll (AP records, 2004)

Posted Image

1. Trance N Roll

2. Future

3. Molecular

4. Psycho Puncko

5. Angels

6. 2B

7. Osterstrasse 3

8. Sound Of Soul

9. Amrisha

10. Snail Song

Here a special and original album from Analog pussy. Trance N roll is a well chosen name, some tracks consist on putting melodies from old rock n roll songs, with lyrics, and with kind of chorus in some tracks. Some people will find this cheesy, as far as i am concerned it made me smile at first listen, and actually now I like it, I find it easy listening to without being too serious. Tracks are pretty simple, and highlights are for me 1. Trance N Roll, 4. Psycho Puncko, 8. Sound Of Soul, which are the more unpredictable tracks, especially 4 which will certainly make you laugh : a well known rock n roll melody, crazy lyrics, strange dubby breaks, hilarous ending. Track 8 might be my favourite, I love the lyrics, if anyone know where it is taken from?...some tracks are boring cause they are more conventional and unoriginal, 5 for example, but on the whole it's a cool album.

Here's a copy/paste thing of my old review:

Genre-bender on the loose!

Jiga & Jinno are back with their fourth album… They’ve shifted from old school full on goa trance, to progressive psy, and back again… But this time, they combine the two + takes the music in all kinds of other directions… We really get all sorts here…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: “Cheddar” instantly springs to mind when a psy-track kicks off with a tranced-up Deep Purple “Smoke on the Water” guitar riff… And yes, this title track surely is on the lighter side of the trance-spectrum… This is as buttrock goa as it gets! I really don’t like the guy shouting “roooock” and I could’ve been without the Deep Purple impressions – but besides from that this isn’t bad… Decent track!

#02: This is the track that AP put up on their website for free, legal download… So I’m guessing most of you already know it… Grunge guitar intro… And then some really delicious bongos or congas… In fact the percussion work in this is very tasty… And then, bam Jiga sings “We are the world, we are the future…” and so on… Her voice is deep and husky the first time around, but soon she showcases the more feminine sides of it – which are much nicer, I might add… ;o) In between the vocals we get all kinds of acoustic and electric guitars mixed alongside the cool percussion… Cool track!

#03: “Una masturbación en el pensamiento mecánico” … Hmm… Well, I’m no cunning linguist – in fact my Spanish is a bit rusty, but I believe this translates into “masturbation in the mechanic thought” or at least something along those lines… First time I’ve heard lyrics about that in a trance track… ;o) Deeeep bass, clapping, weird vocoded Spanish voice samples – even a short build-up and a spacey take-off… I bet it’s a long time since you’ve heard something like this on a psy-trance records… Nice track!

#04: Admit it – you’ve always secretly fancied Jiga! And when she suddenly sings “I’m a bad motherfucker… I’m the gun in your vein… If I had a million dollars… I would spend it all on my brain… So what you gonna do psycho? Come on and trip it away, yeah… All I want is to punk and get fucked with my friends…” – you want her even more! Now this is a seriously weird old tune, but strangely appealing… The BPM is close to 150, and we get all kinds of buttrock guitars and Jiga screaming like an 80s rock n roller… Very sarcastic and funny! Oh, and if you rip this track, please make some promotion for AP, ‘cause they don’t have any money! Check out the last minute or so – Some kind of sing-along choir thing… Ha ha, what the hell is going on? Interesting track!

#05: Hmm, what is that intro? Whale-sounds? Cello? No idea, but it sounds cool… Very organic intro, soon to be brutally disrupted by deep bass and rolling melodies… Yummy! Actually, for a trance records the trance has been lacking until now, but “Angels” takes care of that… This is plain old, epic full on goa trance in its purest form. Great track!

#06: So, when was the last time you heard Shakespeare recited in a trance track? Again, AP gives us something unusual with this trance bombshell… Sharp, mechanic synths, electric guitars and funky bass lines adds to the eerie, dark ambience here… I don’t know about you, but my toe is wiggling… Perhaps for the wrong reasons, but who cares!? Cool track!

#07: I happen to know, that Oesterstrasse 3 is the address of AP Studios in Germany… And according to this track, it’s a funky old place! It’s a pretty minimal track with a subtle kick drum and a banging bass line… Added are all kinds of smooth percussion, subtle piano, acoustic guitar and twisted effects… Plus of course, sweet, sweet Jiga singing in German about the address in question… Sweet track!

#08: More acoustic guitar here… Smooth, groovy rhythms mixed on top of ethnic chants alongside Jiga’s explicit vocals… “Big bad labels” are bashed here… “fuck me if my album ain’t selling”… And apparently that’s the sound of soul… Hehe… Decent track!

#09: The pace is lowered just a little for this track… More ethno-ambiance from the start … And more Jiga-vocals… She has an interesting voice; it ranges from husky to feminine… Let’s face it though; she’s no Michele Adamson, but she definitely can sing… Nice track!

#10: Last but not least is the Snail Song… Yes, a snail song, complete with nonsense snail lyrics and everything… BPM are 90, and the snail feel is present throughout the track… A nice little trippy downbeat track, to finish a truly unusual album… Nice track!

Phew, this was definitely something different… And I always welcome new approaches to psychedelic trance… All kinds of genres are mixed in between each other… Loads of rock and acoustic guitars… And lyrics in most tracks... Well, it’s really hard to describe, you have to listen to get an idea of the diversity here… Personally, there are a couple of cool tracks that stand out for me…;o) Though generally speaking, I have a hard time taking some of the buttrock guitars serious and some of experimental stuff on here is not really to my liking… It’s not bad – not bad at all; it’s just not fantastic either… But I do however appreciate the diversity, and the “balls” to release an album that is so “risky” as this… Listen before you buy, but please don’t download it… There is a really nice “bonus” pic of Jiga in the booklet…;o)

7.5/10

Favourites: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 (!)

DeathPosture