Moby

ensign

Hey, has anyone listened to Moby's new album Hotel?  It's a double CD release, and the 2nd disc is an ambient mix. 

I've yet to check it out, but wondered if you all have had a go at it.

-ensign

237782[/snapback]

i just buy it,and i dont like it at all :( some may love it? but i wish i never had used money on this cd.

MOBY: HOTEL - Short Review

I bought it last week. Yeah, the ambient disc has no beats, its very suble, simple, and quiet, its very calm and will probably bore the majority but its not bad, just not nearly as attention grabbing as the songs on disc one. The first disc of two discs on Hotel, is all pretty much rock, pop, techno, dance, and yes, even Trip-Hop, at least major influences if its not Trip-Hop. HOTEL is aimed for mainstream audiences as PLAY (his last album) was, in that it is not as focused on the chill or one side. And the way its compiled makes it obvious that they wanted to have atleast a song for everyone basically. Basically.

This is music you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy. This is not a bad release and its by far not his best album, but he has some pretty good, decent songs; a rather decent combination of sad ones mixed with more subtle, slow, faster, and uplifting ones. It should be noted that there are less instruments involved with this album, which is somewhat disappointing because MOBY is very musically talented, regardless if you like his music or not.

he tracks Lift Me Up, Beautiful, and Raining Again are the best ones here, followed by Spiders which I think is decent. And the track Very is a cool dance one, but not trance and nothing psychedelic of course. Its pretty basic but niceand uplifting sounding, with the female singing. Lastly, the song Slipping Away is one of those easy-listening songs that are so simple and nothing THAT good, but its just nice and pleasent to listen to sometimes. The only track I really don't like is Temptation, insanely slow, not uplifting, with patience-losing vocals and lyrics. Its just very not interesting, intriging, or exciting. Boring. There are about three songs without lyrics on this first disc.

If you want his best work, go listen to First Cool Hive, Extreme Ways, and Southside (Feat Gwen Stefani) really kickass... I wish there were some tracks like those on this album. First Cool Hive is truly great!, a song made famous on the Fifth Element movie. I like this album. Its grown on me; its very pleasent to listen to depending on the mood. The best, most catchy songs are in the beginning 5 songs of the album, and number 9 is the dance one. However, because I have heard and owned every Moby main album ever (6 or 7 I think) I can't say this is really good because in comparison, well I'm comparing... thats how I try to make my reviews less subjective. :)

MOBY - HOTEL .............. C+ or B- out of A