Rip `N Eiji ~ Tengu Moon

Late

Tracklist:

Arigataya (version)

Diji

Ghost Dancers (don`t step on the diamonds)

Morning Song

New Hanabi

Down Underground

Beelzebubba

Tengu Moon

Eiji Rocks Out

Arigataya (Vocal)

So,

I rode the winds of change and managed to find a copy in a Helsinki recordstore :Z

Seriously speaking, what a coincidence, thinking that only 500 copies were made, or perhaps it`s an example of synchronity at work, j/k.

The debut release from Creative Space, which rose from the ashes of Devic craft.

The album portrays a wide variety of styles from so called "chill-out" to medium

tempo, breakbeatish dancefloor material, Geoffery Hales aka Rip Van Hippy is doing the programming and Eji plays electric guitar.

To be honest, most of the more chilled songs seem to be quite forgettable, but there are a couple of gems in there :

"Dji" is a dreamy, bit housey track w/ strange ghost-like japanese-language female vocals, a bit reminescent of Benza`s work. Would fit like a charm in a more eclectic morning set

"Morning song", released earlier on psy-harmonics` "Iconic" compilation, is a surefire killer, a breakbeat tune with a strong leading guitar riff pitched up a little.This would work like a charm on an openmided dancefloor.

"Beelzebubba" is progressive rock Rip van Hippy style, kinda reminds me of his latest album (can I hear some of the same sounds in there :P ).

"Tengu Moon" the title tune is lopsidedly twisted, midtempo 4/4 and intensive, would fit well in a warmup set. Think Aumphibian with a more melodic twist and you are there

And Finally we have "Eiji Rocks Out" , symphonic, kinda Kingston Wall -esque, a massive "wall of sound"

Anyway, a refreshing title, it has characterl, not really trance, goa, fullon, mini, prog or anything silly like that, but a thing unto itself. The guitar fits the songs well, none of that, "let`s play power chords over trance" -thing. like I already stated, most of the chilly songs are kinda boring but the rest of the album more than makes up for them

8 1/2 out of 10

over & out.