V/A - Playground - Iboga Records

Guest djnemo

Artist: Various

Label: Iboga

CatNO: IBOGACD27

The other day I was on the phone with Rene of Beat Bizarre and he told me that there were some projects going on between him and Banel, and I said that this would be awsome. Now, having that in mind I really wanted to have the latest Iboga CD, since I really wanted to hear what they have going there.

This CD is probably one of the reasons why I am listening to trance at all. It is quality danish style trance, like in the good old days, but more PHAT, more fresh, more funky and more everything reallly!

Back in the good old days when this type of trance started growing, the danes were the leading in producing this kind of trance. We called it "Koepenhamns Trance" in Sweden/Helsingborg hehe.

But lets skip the history lesson and go on to the tracks.

01 Antix - Blood (FREq Remix)

This track starts of with a beat and a bassline and a sample that then evolve into more and more soundscapes. More sounds get layered and then a STAB. Very intelligent programming on those delayes (I wonder what they have used, hardware or software?!). More and more evolves and then we hear some kind of climax, but not to cheesy. Very good stomper this one. Also very dj friendly, and that we like!

02 FREq - Return To The Masters (Antix Remix)

Freq starts of with some vocoded timestreched voice and a disted stab. The beat kind of lurks in on you with some delayed disted percussions, you can can hear that bassdrum coming in on you, and JUST as it gets kind of to the stat where you think "COMON" it kicks in. It goes on for a while and then a small break which then gets the track going on to its main theme. This track is very monotone, and is built on the beats at first. The beats are evolving together with sounds every here and there. Throwing in some nice stabs/pads and letting the beat go down then brings the track into a break again. The track then continues with a very nice lead that then evolves more and more. When the bassline and bassdrums and everything is going again, I could not sit still on the chair while writing this!! Very good track, makes me me believe that there is still trance out there worth getting.

03 Phony Orphants - Going Down

Phony orpants do NOT believe in forplay, no sir, they go straight to the beats! This track starts of with as I said already Bassdrums and stabs and some pads / percussion. A small break comes in with some voice and then a Bassline gets added. STOMP!! Wow and those beats that come in, nice break beats! This track is all about ENERGY. The track keeps evolving all the time, new sounds and beats all over the place. Might sound very chaotic to you, but believe me, this is very well planned. A break with beats then brings the track to climax, very monotone, but fucking hell the energy is pure adrenaline!!! I love the beats on this! Danes do you remember Graa Hallen in Christiania?! This is the feeling I got there!

04 Behind Blue Eyes - Goose Bump

Ok, here is a track made by Banel and Rene, I was really looking forward to this one because I know the potential of these boys. Now, if you ever wondered what this old danish sound is all about, this track will tell you the whole story! This track brings back so many memories to me. Quality techy trance here! Rene and Banel have been friends for many years, and you can clearly hear that the collaboration is a synergy of this friendship! Very clear sounds, nice basslines and leads. I hear some quality old synths in there (I wont tell which hehe). This track is for me amazing because this is what the old sound is all about, but made new and fresh.

05 FREq vs. Antix - Frantix (Azza mix)

Nice and fluffy sound on this track. This is all about atmosphere. Beats evolving very slowly and a nice pad in the background all the time. Some vocoded delayed voices come in every now and then. The sound effects are perfectly chosen and come in when they need to. This track is not so energetic as the other tracks before, but this makes your heart pump a little slower on the dancefloor, while you just move your body slowly and listen to this superb morning track. Oh, and the lead is very nice (Is that a sh101?)

06 FREq vs. Emok - Spot My Burger

One more collaboration here. Spot my burger is taking your pulse up a little bit after the previous track. This track is less about atmosphere and more about beats and basslines. Very monotone sound on this track. This is not my favourite track, but it is a very nice dj tool. I would play it out, I know exactly where in my set I would put it!

07 Beat Bizarre - Content My Differ

Beat Bizarre, hehehe bizarre sounds and leads here. Very atmospheric track with a monotonic lead that goes on and on in the background. Then there is a 303ish sound coming in, very very gentle! Where is this going?! It leads to a break, that then leads you into something that you would not have thought about would happen, but I let you listen instead of spoiling it for you ;) Viva Denmark sound!

08 Mondayz Millionaires - Coldies For Goldies

Wow, this is heavy stuff. Nothing I would put on in the beginning of a set. Very atmosperic pads, but also very heavy on the beat and bassline. This track is more about the heavy beats and basslines than the atmosphere, though. In the end the track evolves more into atmosphere, but it does not lose your intresst as the beats also evolve and stay as heavy and dirty as before.

You can clearly hear that these tracks are made with love, care and friendship. Most of all, this is quality production! Very clear sounds, groovey beats and monotone basslines. This is what it takes for me to shake my rumpa on the dancefloor!

I would chose almost all the tracks for a set in the morning. They might as well be played throughout the whole night, but as a morning dj, I can strongly recommend this for the morning.

Now, go and get that record!!!

Great review, and a really nice compilation from the Iboga allstars. Not the best compilation this year in my opinion though, “A Day After..” from ZMA was even better. But very solid compilation no doubt.

My favourite is Frantix by the way.