track layout...

hi..

i've been trying to make psy trance for almost 3 years now..

i feel that i have improved considerably in certain areas....

i am able to make parts of the track..like a bassline some drum loop,a lead and some background sounds...i am also a little more comfortable with synths and the various functions...

i have a problem when it comes to putting these parts togather...

also .. these parts seem to rush through ...

i would like to know something about laying out patterns so the whole tracks seems to flow...

i am able to make a pattern for say 16 beats but i am unable to continue to the next part of the track using variations of the same pattern...

any ideas on how to construct a track with a gradual build up and how to keep the continuety in a track between the different parts...

thanks...

hi..

i've been trying to make psy trance for almost 3 years now..

i feel that i have improved considerably in certain areas....

i am able to make parts of the track..like a bassline some drum loop,a lead and some background sounds...i am also a little more comfortable with synths and the various functions...

i have a problem when it comes to putting these parts togather...

also .. these parts seem to rush through ...

i would like to know something about laying out patterns so the whole tracks seems to flow...

i am able to make a pattern for say 16 beats but i am unable to continue to the next part of the track using variations of the same pattern...

any ideas on how to construct a track with a gradual build up and how to keep the continuety in a track between the different parts...

thanks...

203439[/snapback]

Hi there, I deleted your empty topic so people will only look in this one :)

Anyways, I know that A LOT of people will disagree with me on this one, but to learn how to make a structure of a track is to try and imitate the structure of another track of your likings.

Now, Copy your "loops" so you have a total length of around 10 minutes (or more) so that you would basically have 10 minutes of the same sounds (10 minute loop). Then listen to a track that you like and make notes of what comes in where. Then start deleting and modifying the "loops" where the artist that you are copying is is doing things.

Make sure that your track does not become too boring and that you have variation, but too much variation can be boring or stressing as well.

There is no real way of learning this really, basically you will have to teach yourself. But if you really want it, you will learn it pretty quick. Use your most important tools, your ears, A LOT! In the beginning try to make diffrent versions of your track, and try to make as many diffrent copies of it. Save often!!

I think that will cover the basics. If have any other questions, then please let me know mate :)

Hi there, I deleted your empty topic so people will only look in this one :)

Now, Copy your "loops" so you have a total length of around 10 minutes (or more) so that you would basically have 10 minutes of the same sounds (10 minute loop). Then listen to a track that you like and make notes of what comes in where. Then start deleting and modifying the "loops" where the artist that you are copying is is doing things.

203442[/snapback]

People may disagree with me here but I tend to look at things in blocks of 2,4 or 8. So a pattern may be 4 or 8 bars long and may be repeated 2 or 4 times. When shifting from one block to another "articulate" the shift with a silence (drop a beat on a drum for instance) or add a stab sound (cymbal crash etc).

What do you think, good advice or bad ?

Andy

People may disagree with me here but I tend to look at things in blocks of 2,4 or 8.  So a pattern may be 4 or 8 bars long and may be repeated 2 or 4 times.  When shifting from one block to another "articulate" the shift with a silence (drop a beat on a drum for instance) or add a stab sound (cymbal crash etc).

What do you think, good advice or bad ?

Andy

203449[/snapback]

This also sounds very good. But building a whole track first of just one loop and then starting to look at it like blocks would help in the beginning for me atleast. Good points! :)

hi...

thanks for replying...

interesting...building 10 minutes of the basic skeleton of the track and then taking out and adding parts...never really tried that...

i have noticed in some tracks by say psycho micro,azax.... that

there are about 8 bars or 16 bars of a bassline with some rhythem...hihats ,snares ...stuff like that and just nice long sounds ... creating a scene... like how sound effectes in movies progress from one to the other...

and then for the next 8 to 16 bars a nice lead comes in with the same or different bassline and drum loops...

something like that....

anyway..

thanks..

interesting...building 10 minutes of the basic skeleton of the track and then taking out and adding parts...never really tried that...

203679[/snapback]

Hi again. Well, that is how the most producers that I know work actually. You can also just mute the parts (Cubase, Logic), that way you dont need to copy something over there again if you think you will need it. Thats the way I work the fastest doing a track anyways. :) And it gives you a nice overview of the track...