what instrument is this?

Okay, i've heard this sound on many psy tunes, and in some movies i think.  It's on sphongle's DMT (i'm sure you all know that song).  It's really trippy whatever it is.  So anyone know what instrument this is?

sample1

sample2

202673[/snapback]

Those are Tibetan singing monks. Pretty cool actually how they do that. And trust me, they DO that with their throats... With a couple of effects, you will have a really nice sound. All you need to do, is to go into town (here in Amsterdam) find those monks singing on the streen and buy their cds hehe :)

i think that this is from "delay lama" free plugin, lots of artist use it and you will recognise the sound, maybe you can also put effects after you make a bounce, but im sure is it not a a human voice, i am sure .

try this link......

http://www.audionerdz.com/index2.htm

its amazing and freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

hope you like... ;)

i think that this is from "delay lama" free plugin, lots of artist use it and you will recognise the sound, maybe you can also put effects after you make a bounce, but im sure is it not a a human voice, i am sure .

try this link......

http://www.audionerdz.com/index2.htm

its amazing and freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

hope you like... ;)

202758[/snapback]

My dear friend, have you ever heard tibetan monks singing?! It sounds JUST as the sample that he has. They can do WONDERS with their voices. Maybe you should check that out before you make a judgement that this could NEVER be a human voice.

I have been to many many concerts with tibetan monks, and they really amaze me with their ANALOGUE sounding voices...

My dear friend, have you ever heard tibetan monks singing?! It sounds JUST as the sample that he has. They can do WONDERS with their voices. Maybe you should check that out before you make a judgement that this could NEVER be a human voice.

I have been to many many concerts with tibetan monks, and they really amaze me with their ANALOGUE sounding voices...

202762[/snapback]

well im sorry nemo , i never been in a concert with tibetan monks singing so i judge without knowlegde, thats true, but the thing is that i think that the sound from his samples could be make it with that plugin , just that.

i will try to be in one of those concerts because have to be amazing to hear ....

(please recomend some download or url if know one... thanks)

well im sorry nemo , i never been in a concert with tibetan monks singing so i judge without knowlegde, thats true, but the thing is that i think that  the sound from his samples could be make it with that plugin , just that.

i will try to be in one of those concerts because have to be amazing to hear ....

(please recomend some download or url if know one... thanks)

202764[/snapback]

Sorry for the grumpy reply by the way, I didnt have a good day yesterday. My bird died very myseriously.

It was just that you excluded it so promptly from being human voices. But it could of course be a softsynth or similar. I know that the malstrom in reason can make a pretty similar sound actually, but not as good, and not VERY close. The ones in the Shpongle track sound too real to be a softsynth or similar, it just sounds like samples very heavily altered.

Oh and to quoute what they say about their little softsynth on Audionerdz homepage

AudioNerdz is a group of four students from the Netherlands. Three of us (Aram, Daan & Steven) study Audio Design at the Utrecht School of the Arts (www.hku.nl), and specialize in software development for music & audio. The fourth member is Frank, who studies Animation at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam, and specializes in 3D animation and design.

We started the Delay Lama project about a year ago as a special project during our course in Audio Design. Eventually it grew out into a VST instrument, and we thought it would be nice to release this virtual singing monk worldwide for the good of Tibet.

Hehe, sorry :) Anyways, when you speak, sing, whistle, and if you then sample that you can analyze the waveform (everything that sounds has a waveform), and try to make it a virtual waveform. My guess is, that these guys did exactly that, and did it pretty good I must admit.

I pasted a link to a cd that is pretty cool, its not all for download though. Maybe google around for mp3's and you will find pretty much of it. I know that I can buy the cds in any shop for very cheap money here in Holland, just go to your recordstores ethnic/worldmusic section and you will for sure find some (so you can have a listen to this amazing stuff).

The thing is that they sing from deep down their throat, and when they make the high noises, its like you make the "vooaafff" sound with a didgeridoo hehe... or not quiet like that but similar, they are very cool.

IIRC the throat singing on The first Shpongle album was real, but there was pitch shifting involved, or at least in sounded like that.

And I believe that Delaylama uses formant filters on (saw?probably) waves just like most of the other "vocal" synths.

Okay, i've heard this sound on many psy tunes, and in some movies i think.  It's on sphongle's DMT (i'm sure you all know that song).  It's really trippy whatever it is.  So anyone know what instrument this is?

sample1

sample2

202673[/snapback]

This one? :)

I always thought it was just a synth.

202808[/snapback]

All I am saying, it doesnt HAVE to be. And for me it sounds too real to be a synth. If the synth that was suggested was indeed used, then its still a virtual version of singing tibetan monks.

If Simon P himself will not respond, we will never know though ;)

All I am saying, it doesnt HAVE to be. And for me it sounds too real to be a synth. If the synth that was suggested was indeed used, then its still a virtual version of singing tibetan monks.

If Simon P himself will not respond, we will never know though ;)

202811[/snapback]

But what's so specific about that singing that only tibetan monks can do it? It can't be so hard to do... I'd try, but everybody would think I'm crazy. In programming class right now.

But what's so specific about that singing that only tibetan monks can do it? It can't be so hard to do... I'd try, but everybody would think I'm crazy. In programming class right now.

202816[/snapback]

Well, you can always try. Its coming from deep in the throat, I think its like with everything else, you can learn it, but some things are more difficult than others.

Google for classes then you might be able to teach yourself. Of course, if you want to become a master, then you most probably want to spend some time with tibetan monks hehe :)

as for human voices or not, the second sample reminds me a lot about an ancient norwegian instrument used by a folk group called "samer". it sounds very much like a jew's harp, but it's somewhat higher pitched and can hold a tone longer... so it doesn't have to be a human voice. the ringing in the higher frequencies sounds to me like it is not a pitched tibetanian monk sample, but more like a real instrument. but i might be wrong:)

202852[/snapback]

Hey, thats not a pitched voice, they actually MAKE that voice. When I heard that sound I thought it was a bird or a whistle or some kind of instrument. But they actually sound like that.

Honestly people, get some of their music that they are making, its very amazing what they can make with just their throat. For me its one of the most amazing things I have ever heard coming out of a human beings mouth! ;)

Hey, thats not a pitched voice, they actually MAKE that voice. When I heard that sound I thought it was a bird or a whistle or some kind of instrument. But they actually sound like that.

202867[/snapback]

i have difficult to believe the second sample is a human voice only... it's processed, eq'ed and filtered, so it's hard to tell how it originally sounds like... if so, can u please provide me with a link to an equal sounding monk chanting that high pitched sound and not a voice altered in some way, i might believe you:) anyway, the human beings never stop surprising me...

i have difficult to believe the second sample is a human voice only... it's processed, eq'ed and filtered, so it's hard to tell how it originally sounds like... if so, can u please provide me with a link to an equal sounding monk chanting that high pitched sound and not a voice altered in some way, i might believe you:) anyway, the human beings never stop surprising me...

202888[/snapback]

Well, believe it or not, this is a singing monk.

http://khoomei.com/mp3s/rajas.mp3

Of course, there would be some effects and stuff on mr Posfords sampled monk... But I can hear what the original is like, because ive heard these monks perform live so many times now.

Like I said, I had also never heard anything like it. Its a very special techique that they are using. With their throat and with their bowls.

Someone said that they wanted to learn more about it before. Well heres a page with diffrent techniques.

http://khoomei.com/types.htm (same page where the mp3 comes from).

If you still dont believe me, then its a lost case, and I will give up, since I know what I am talking about on this subject, but dont have the energy to collect more evidence, and I do have other things to do....

I reckon it has got to be real Tibetan throat singers in DMT.

Throat singing is such an artform that most of the world knows nothing about.

Unfortunatley i have tried to teach myself how to 'throat sing' but i usually end up getting a sore throat. Anyway i am a drummer not a singer

:lol: ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is what i was looking for....

"Overtone singing is a technique with which a single human voice can simultaneously produce two or more clearly audible tones. The usual sensation of hearing a single tone in the voice shifts to hearing a low drone with seemingly independant tones high above it. This unique style of singing challenges the ears and the voice to explore the subtle dimensions and colors of sound. In central Asia this way of vocalising has been practiced for centuries by Tibetan monks and several Turco-Mongol nomadic tribes."

So... now i believe you :)

there are actually some even better examples at http://www.fusica.nl/singing.htm

to demonstrate just this...

Well, those two samples are definitely human voices, no way they're synthesized with Delay Lama, that's an absurd proposition. I use Delay Lama a lot, but there's no way it can do rich sounds like this.

I didn't hear any effects on those voices, altough there was a lot of other sounds layered on top.

They do a lot of throat singing in Siberia, in Tuva, it's believed to be healthy to you, and for example pregnant women do it a lot to get healtyhy babies. I can just imagine people sitting around in cold, dark winter evenings and everybody's just throat singing. Beats TV anytime :D