who has the best parties??

Guest the skragg

Down here in sunny South Africa I reckon we have the best parties by far. We have been blessed with a beautifull country that boasts natural features second to none - we have parties on Table Mountain, in excuisite valleys, on the beach....the list goes on - to add to that there are no shortage of wonderfull people that grace the dancefloors creating a mirage of colour and imagination - we hate minimalistic crap - the music must be full-on. We have had artists leave Cape Town, having had cream pies shoved in their faces after not delivering the goods. It is a thriving and emerging scene that has gone un-noticed by the rest of the world so I'm just setting the records straight - Cape Town kikks much ass - anyone have anything to say to this

I always wanted to come to a party in SA - I went there for a few months as a little kid and I have such vivid colourful memories of the place. I climbed table mountain the day before my 4th b'day and remember getting the nectar out of a beautiful red flower that grows on the trees around there. Definitely a place I'd like to return to.

I have one question though Skragg...

how settled is the race issue these days. I am white and am married to an Indian woman - and in some countries we are not treated too well as a mixed race couple... what are your honest opinions about our chances in SA ?

bomble

Guest the skragg

Järsimähäiriö - thanx so much for the support, and yes there is alot more on the way - look out for a CD being released on Timecode Records - called Encryption. It is a full-on compilation featuring SA's hottest new producers - look out for tracks from Damage Incorporated, Artifakt, Phyx, Shift and Rabdom L (that's me) - all budding youngsters that are more than keen to give it horns. The race issue has calmed down a bit here since democracy came about - as you can imagine, irreversible damage has been done as is perfectly understandable with the level and intensity of segregation that was experienced by some groups here - now, 8 or so years into democracy, people have learned to forget the past and focus on the future - it is looking good from that aspect but honestly I wouldn't consider moving here unless you are loaded or have a job that will keep you sorted.

Peace

Guest DOLPHinTRANCE

...i would love to go for a party in SA...but...isn't CapeTown one of the most unsecure towns of the world nowadays?

...i´ve heard that 1 person is murder every 24hours(one portuguese every week)...is it true?!? I've also heard that the police there is part of the crime problem...not only because they can't solve it but mainly because they are the criminals...

...how do you see the security problem in CapeTown?

...really...i would love to go for a party there but...

Guest David

I used to live outside Cape Town for 6 years in Somerset West, near Gordons Bary and Bikini Beach. I can say it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth and I long to return one day for a trip or to live. Unfortunantly though, the beauty is offset by great violence still. At this time, I'm not comfortable taking my family there for a visit or trip. Chance are all will be fine, but is it worth the chance?

I would really like to hear more from those that live there now as I am obviously just speaking now from what I hear. I also understand that going anywhere else other than CT, say Joburg, is faaar more dodgy. Such a shame really...hopefully things have or will improve and time will tell. I really do long to return. Great people and country all issues aside.

- David

UMP

www.umprod.com

Guest akindo

"We have had artists leave Cape Town, having had cream pies shoved in their faces after not delivering the goods."

What does this mean? As in, if the crowd aren't happy with the music, they have thrown pies at the live-act?!

akindo

Guest David

I thnk it was last year that Tsuyoshi was smacked in the face with a pie after playing in SA, apparantly because his set was not to someones liking.

I don't think it is anything to be proud of at all.

- David

UMP

www.umprod.com

Guest spacemonkey - 604

doesn't sound that pleasant no,"not deliviring the goods" and being attacked by madly tripping pie trowers from shpongle land.

Guest shift

hey don't get skragg wrong - tsuyoshi delivered the goods -but the wrong ones - i was there - he really sucked - not that i'd have pied him though !?!

we have realy wild parties in south africa is what skragg meant, so don't come over with house or minimal crap - most of the people are tripping, so they want full on psychedelic sounds any all day and night.

- i would have to disagree with the comments on the "danger" and crime levels there - i have lived there for the last five years (now in london) and the only reason i left was to travel - there's no where else i'd rather live. - i've never had a problem with crime - @!#$ happens, and you do your best to avoid it - i've been to other countries and it's not really any better off. - most of the "horror stories" you hear are exaggerated.

the plain truth is that if you have'nt been to cape town in summer then you really should make the trip - it's really cheap for a fucking good holiday, with first class parties all the time (with a whole range of different types of trance - if u dont want it full on all the time), set in some of the most beautifull, and varied sceneries immaginable - the cops are generally well behaved too...

yeah, look out for the timecode release out soon - loads fo crazy, full on @!#$. - there will be a limited pressing as we are fairly short of cash (Rands don't go far in Europe), and our aim is to sell enough locally (south africa), and some in england, to do a re-pressing for the rest of you nutheads out there!

also, there should be a wicked solar eclipse party (Vortex) in south africa this december, up in the northern part of the country near the Kruger National park (a fucking big game park nearly the size of england), and if you're feel up for a bushveld boogie with some of the biggest acts around then look out for the details - they're somewhere, i'm sure...

outahere

keep da peace..

shift

hahaahaha literally for our superstar japaneses house freak pie in the face... you springboks know how to rock, you guys are my personal heros for the day.. i wonder how his reaction must have been, he normally acts like a rock star dj (who would have ever thought)... man pack off these wannabes....

Guest the skragg

Maybe the tsuyoshi example wasn;t the best one to use - I was using it to display the level of evthusiasm (if you will) that us SA's have towards our trance. The thing with the tsuyoshi example is that he used to come here 6 years ago whe he was still the king of Psy and tear the place to pieces, there were casualties after a tsuyoshi party - since then he came back every year for the famous Vortex Matsuri parties and each year his sets became housier and housier - eventually after coming back 6 years later, he dropped born slippy - yes the underworld track that made trainspotting so recognisable!! In his early years he really moulded the shape of trance in Cape Town - with the help of many other greats, but he made the greatest impression - and rightly so - he was the greatest psy DJ and a certain mysticism was evident when he spun - he had a truly large following down here and to the disgust of that following he became a house DJ - many don't understand that. So after his set last year he got pied in the face - harsh but what a sight I tell you.

The crime level: yes it is high but as shift explained earlier, it is very exxagerated and not something worth discussing much. Shift mentioned a Solar Eclipse party happening in Decemeber in SA - The lengendary vortex productions are teaming up with Etnica to celebrate one of natures wonders = a full solar eclpise in the same style as Millenium was celebrated at the massive SA2000 party.Have you guys heard anything about this party over in Europe or the rest of the world??

Guest bugbread

If you have a picture of Tsuyoshi getting pied, may I PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have it? PLEASE!!

Somebody punching a DJ they didn't like would totally depress me, but Tsuyoshi getting cream pied would make my week!

Guest Afghanfan

Bugbread, here is a link to a site with photos of the pie in his face - it's beautiful!!

I don't know what's wrong, but I can't open the site?? Try it anyway...

www.voodoo.co.za

The picture is in the gallery section or sth..

Peace in

Guest Dr. Krelm

I was under the impression that Tsuyoshi was a house DJ well before he ever got into goa/psytrance in the early '90s. It's obvious he now prefers spinning a tekno/house style (and does it damn well), and I know it's been a gradual change since '97 or '98. I'm always hearing people bash him because of what he spins, but quite frankly, a DJ is going to spin what they spin...it is the promoters' jobs to book the DJs that the crowd wants to hear. If these people that hate him so much want to get pissed at somebody, they should get pissed at the promoters that book him, not the man himself.

The whole pie in the face thing reaks of 12-year old immaturity. I'm sure the person who did it thinks themselves some sort of hero to the psy community...

As much as people bash him, the two times I've seen Tsuyoshi spin his "crap" at psytrance parties, he's rocked the dancefloor more than any of the other DJs. And I've never gotten the superstar vibe from him...always comes across as a nice guy and even answers emails very quickly. :)

Sorry to go off...I just have all the respect in the world for the man as a producer and DJ, and hate to hear him constantly bashed simply for playing the music he likes. :)

man atleast it was only a pie, i have heard of people throwing stones, rotten tomatoes etc. in israel... o.k. it might have been immature, but i have heard about this story.. supposedly he was spinning to a bunch of goa heads and the whole party was spiked with very powerful punch.. so as a result when he let out stuff like born slippy (lager lager shouting in case you haven't heard it) to the crowd, naturally everyone started to trip out/// so someone in mental anguish and pain pied him in the face.. dude whatever you say, i am not a superstar dj, but i still know better than to play born slippy at a hardcore party... i think every dj should play to his/her crowd, i guess these big dj's have lost touch with the spirit of the scene, and anyways Dr. Krelm he just got a pie in the face, that ain't so bad.. it is more symbolic than physical....

all i can say is he must have antigonized someone real bad to have this happen...

Guest Afghanfan

Exactly KS. I think the thing was that he let ppl down big time. He has been a yearly fixture at Vortex since '97 I think, and he always played the most amazing trance!! The best sets I've ever heard were played by him. I think this is the general thought of the trancers in SA. He really moulded the trance lifestyle over there. Then suddenly, every one is expecting a blasting set from the great man himself, and bang they get slippy in the face and he gets pied in the face.

By the way, he had his name spinning round on the projection screen above the stage throughout his set - tell me that's not superstar qualification.

Peace in

Guest Chong

yeh well Tsuyoshi has moulded a lot of the scene all over the world - if u have been into psy-trance since the mid-nineties u must have been to a Tsuyoshi party.

personally I dont like his styles of late and the last few years he has come out I havent gone to see him - but i agee w/Dr Krelm - i think the pie incident is shocking and shows a lack of all respect for people in general.

It's nothing to be proud of...

Tsuyoshi's style has changed - it's no secret, he plays a different brand of music than he did in 96 or so, everyone knows this! go see someone else if u want 96 sounds - or go book someone else, but treat people with respect.

Guest Afghanfan

Chong, you're right - treat ppl with respect - did he treat the ppl in Cape Town with respect?? He knows it's a trance party and he nows how highly ppl value him and his sets there. Even if he has changed his style, he should keep his new mixes for the appropriate parties - think how many ppl had bad trips because of his inappropriate music selection - believe me, knowing the Cape Townians, they all dropped their goods exactly half an hour before his set, so that they would be packed and ready for the journey - what a downer hahaha. It was only a pie and trust me it turned the mood of the party into a happy and +'ve one - even suzuki's girlfriend was laughing at it. After being pied he was handed a towel.

Peace in