How to make bass and kick more groove?

I use the compression teqnic. n i also use enhancer like THD.

n there is a creative way. if u r writing a bassline on octave c5. put two or four notes on octave C4 just parallel to your main bassline notes which u made on octave C5. it gives bass a major role in the track. :)

IMO the bass in the track is phat enough (nice rumble), but the kick could be a bit more prominent. There was a moment in the track where the bass went a way and I think the kick was too low in volume. First try increasing it. If that doesn't help, you've got to use effects (or find a new kick). For phatness use compressors (I like chaining more than 1 in a row, like Sonalksis SV-315 and PSP VintageWarmer) and EQ (narrow boosting or cutting is one way), and I've also found BBE Sonic Maximizer 2 useful for lowend.

As for groove, I think they groove well enough (at least on my headphones).

You can get a pumping bass with sidechaining (and sidechaining is a good way to ensure the bass doesn't overlap with the kick):

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/pdf/tutorials/sidechain.pdf

Other ways to get groove include phat oscillators, snappy envelopes (like those on VAZ Modular), playing around with velocity and filter of individual notes (accents) and offsetting (moving ahead or behind in time) individual bass notes ever so slightly.

By the way, I liked the track; it had a fresh sound and cool ideas though it was a bit short.

• 2 months later...

Hi, :)

If You put some extra "kicks" in the pattern line,

give a lower velocity and cutoff lavel to them.

It's a old good trick to play "groovy".

On HiHats You can do the same. All 16 notes are playing the Hat,

but some with less dynamic.

Loop one pattern and create a "groovy" groove for each insrument.

That helps.

:)