7. High Visual Philosophy

ALIENAPIA

8. Fantapsy Trip

OMEGAHERTZ

9. GOA

SPUGE H

10. Nexus Boy Kick

TALPA

What do you get when you cross twisted forest trance, dark bass lines, and goa melodies? Why Magic Dew of course! Space Baby records is a new label with just a few releases to their credit, but they started out strong. This disc has 10 tracks (most of which are by artists with their debut) that combine the elements mentioned above. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Take a look at that beautiful cover. Multicolored pixies under a forested canopy sitting in a circle around the central flower. Not to mention all of the other things you might find if you star at it for awhile. Beautiful. This gives a great hint at what you can expect inside.

And what you get is the attempt to meld all three aspects of the genre. The bass lines are very dark opposed by light and airy melodies. The effects lend themselves to a long journey through a thick forest. Every so often, the light of Goa shines brightly through the foliage. In the second half of the album it becomes a scorching sunbeam. "Master of All Mystics" and "Dudka" define forest trance to me with its frenetic washes and ethereal chants. "Terra Interna" weaves bubbly goa riff over a jackhammer kick which then becomes a stomper. This is also the point where a goa album breaks out. "Nexus Boy Kick" harkens back to Talpa's Art of Being Non symphonic greatness. The combination of styles also allows instruments to come together in a way that you wouldn't think of. Also, just when you think you have the track figured out, it turns on you and becomes something different. There is definitely a market for this album, people sick of the everyday stuff that is out there. You do have to be in the mood for this though, as it can be experimental. I think it is an album that will grow on you with repeated listens. Check it out.

Psyhoppage

Mdk

• 4 months later...