... is it your background ?

i started out listening to hair metal which evolved into death and black metal

then when i discovered electronica, the obvious choice for me was gabber! I soon grew bored of it and started listening to psy/goa trance and havent looked back since. I also have and am into progressive trance, dark prog house, and hard a @!#$ minimal

Guest Eshanti Brahman

Here is my musical life chronology:

-Eighties music on Sky Channel

-Michael Jackson

-Guns'n'Roses

-Metallica

-Rage against the machine

-Nirvana (big time) + Alice in Chains

-Jimi Hendrix

-Smashin Pumpkins

-The Prodigy

-Britpop (especially Supergrass,Suede and Blur)

-The Beatles

-The Doors

-Beck

-Red Hot Chili Peppers

-Chemical Brothers

-Old John Barry music from the 007 movies

-Disco-music

-Astral Projection/Hallucinogen/MFG/Cosmosis/Shakta (the BEGINNING!!!)

-Talvin Singh

-State of Bengal

-Badmarsh & Shri

-Björk

-David Bowie

-Jamiroquai

-James Brown

-Blaxplotation! (Sly & Family Stone,Bootsy Collins,Curtis Mayfield,Isaac hayes etc)

-Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton

-Grandmaster Flash/Sugarhill Gang

-Old school rap and gangsta rap (Erik B& Rakim,Public Enemy,Snoop D,Dr.Dre)

-Funky french house (Daft Punk,Motorbass,Cassius,Etienne De Crecy,Laurent Garnier/Superfunk/Fafa Monteco) + Armand Van Helden

-Future Sound of London

-Black Sabbath,Pink Floyd,Tangerine Dream,Led Zeppelin

-Thievery Corporation & Nightmare on Wax

-Ozric Tentacles

Conclusion: Above only marks when I first started listening to stated groups/persons but I gather that bass and melodies are most imporant to me.

I can't stand Euro-trance (I think its worse than country music) and never cared for punk or hardcore/gabber or american ska. Dub and Reggea is cool. Today I listen mostly to psychedelic music .I dont to say minimal or maksimal but I can give you some names: Ozric,FSOL,Juno,Shpongle,Logic Bomb,Koxbox,Jaia etc......

Guest bugbread

Well, since the discussion is about how musical background has affected minimal vs. full-on: Let me start be saying I loathe minimal (but not people that like minimal: some of my good friends like it) and prefer melodic and twisted (less Astral Projection-like, more Hallucinogen and Pelinpala-like)

My favorite bands/genres in chronological order:

-They Might Be Giants

- The Cure

- Front 242

- Ministry

- Cocteau Twins

- Old Metallica

- Phillip Glass

- Minor Threat

- Mr. Bungle

- The Boredoms

- John Zorn stuff

- Klezmer

- New ska

- Gamelan music

- Merzbow, Masonna, Violent Onsen Geisha

- Fucked up jungle

- goa

The only two I no longer like are The Cure and Front 242. So, in a way, I feel like MileS and I overlap, except the end result is that MileS doesn't like melodic, and I don't like minimal, so it may not be a matter of musical background.

Guest dreezer

Lately I was thinking just the same, why is there this 'gap' between progressive and full-on ?

I must agree with the fact that it will mostly depend upon your musical background. In my opinion the differences were grown in a normal way .

First you must look at the spirit& the specific influences from which a new type of music can grow:

- In the early '90 ties when the first goa-vibes were born. It came directly from a large scala of styles, such as acid, early techno, psychedelic rock,electro, new beat, ...

- new we are again stepped 10 jears further into the the future, while in between many new kinds of music were born. It is quit normal that these varieties will infect each other (just think at the occasional 'goa-moods' in some prgressive hoese&trance singles).

Now it is obvious that there are two alonestanding types of goa, but they were born out of the same point of view; partying on a hard bass-line with lots of climaxes to drive you wild.

Of course also the party-people has evolved:

you can distinguish two types:

- th e older group, they were there from the beginning and love maximal goa.

there backgrounds will be quit the same as the style itself. Altough personnaly I know many friens who come from the punk-metal scene who are know totally into goa!

- the newcomers( no offence!! though), who went to discotheques, house parties, raves or were influenced by the modern type of drum&bass or trip-hop. I think the lot of this group are about 20 years old . They are mostly into (dark) progressive.

Of course, I admit it this opinion isn't waterproof ; you also have people (like me)who are in between or who like both styles.

I think people should make a synthesis between the two types and they will love them both, altough it's more likely to swith over from minimal to maximal!!

I always play one hour minimal and than chang over to maximal , try it!!!

Progressive Psy sounds rock my boat but so does the full on Psy sounds. Music wise I have a fairly eclectic background, and like most people on this forum, I find good in all types of musical genres. A liking for R&B and hip hop lead to a love for trip hop (ie Portishead), then got into the more experimental sounds of Square pusher, Autechre and Aphex. When I started partying and going to clubs and raves - acid, minimal and detroit tech where my prefered styles. Then I went to a bush party that was split into two areas. A techno area and a psy trance area. I remember boogie-ing in the tech area but i had to check out the psy area and ended up staying there all night/day. These days i don't really listen or buy techno. What I found appealing in techno back then no longer stands as it doesn't compare to good psy which can be emotive, hyptnotic, head farkin, driving and rocking. When I'm not in the mood for Psy, I indulge in the sounds of Radiohead, Hendrix, Marley, Tipper, Mouse on MArs, Monolake, KD sessions, Klute, Nirvana and more. All in all, I like listening to both minimal and hard psy, it just depends on the mood combined with the environment I am in... Interesting theory though.