3/4 to 4/4 morphing

Guest Pandable

Am I correct in thinking that to do a subtle transition from 3/4 to 4/4 you'd have to go from 3/4 to 4/4 with quintuplets, then to 4/4 with triplets, then to straight 4/4? Or is there a better way to do this?

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

If you're thinking of the infamous Hallucinogen transitions, this is not what Simon is doing. He goes from triolized 4/4 to straight (and vice versa).

I've done that once, but it was very tricky - I guess there is an easier way, but here goes:

First of all, I used a program called Digital Orchestrator Pro at the time, I can't make logic do it (yet). If you have a track with notes on the off-beats right between the actual beats, it's fairly easy. Select one note starting at the first offbeat note (after the "one-beat") and be sure to mark a *little* more than a beat. Then copy the note from where your selection ends, so that the next notes will be delay'ed juuuust a little. After a couple of copies (depending on the size of the "extra" bit selected) the note will not be straight off beat, but be the third note in a triolized sequence. If you select a little less than a bar, the note will become the second one in the triolized sequence.

This doesn't work if you also have 16'th of bars in the sequence. Then you should split them into seperate tracks, do the manipulation for each track, and then merge them again later.

If you are having trouble in logic/cubase, find some more "grounded" sequencer, that doesn't have all that quantization as standard :)

It's a struggle, and you'll need to redo it a heap of times, but it's definetly worth it! I'd like to hear of some easier way though... :)

- Maybe we should ask mr. Posford...?

.oO Andreas Oo.

Guest The Dark Continuum

This sounds cool man!

Can you name some Hallucinogen songs where it is done, and on what time?

Thnx!

Bah, just thinking about this stuff gives me headaches, I just occasionally listen to some Posford and realize that I will never be able to do as good music as he does :(

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

If you don't try, and give up in advance - well, you ain't gonna get nowhere :) - besides, who want's to make someone elses music...? Better to learn to do other peoples tricks, and then turn them into your very own tools, for creating your personal expression... Isn't it?

.oO Andreas Oo.

Guest soliptic

i've heard cosmosis pull off some shifty morphs too

i always intend to get into it, but my working methods dont really lend themselves to it - i work 90% in audio files, not midi, so i cant really nudge my events.... doh

so far i've only done it once, 4/4 to 6/8 (well, sort of), in a track called "the pulse". (btw if u wanna hear it it is at ampcast.com/dartrecordings - but its not exactly my best work).

definitely gonna have to put it on the agenda for my next one, i reckon.