input on synth??

Guest psy-fi

hi, i have a novation k-station and i just noticed i got audio input on the synth, but i have no idea what it is for. i thought; cool i can use the effects on whatever sound i input. i tried with just a ordinary audio line in and nothing happend. does all synths have a audio in and what is it for??

Guest cadra

lots of synths have input. this is usually used to run an existing signal through the synths filter and amplifier sections, and effects if they exist. so in fact you override the synths oscillators and create your own signal in their place. how exactly you should go about using this is undoubtedly mentioned somewhere in the synth's manual ;)

on some synths you *must* hold a key for the input signal to come through. otherwise (i dont know the k-station in detail) meybe there is something to be set in the menu or something. just check out the manual!

good luck.

To date, I've never had a synth/workstation with audio input. I almost won an auction for K-Station and I reckon it's a pretty good synth. I curently have a Korg-Z1 and Gem S2 Turbo. The S2 is old but a very capable machine with nice multi-stage looped envelopes. The Z1 has awesome Oscillators and modulation. I will probably buy a Novation machine at some point.

Audio-input as oscillator (Novation machines) is a pretty neat effect. Perhaps you could feed the output from a sampler (korg Kaos pad even) to the input to create some interesting 'live' waves?