oh no!!

so i just got my indigo a couple weeks ago...everything is great.

i figure i should update the os and grab those x-tra patches they have.

so i update the os...everything seems fine...the new os shows on the screen just like it should.

then i add the new patches...woo hoo...there all there 4 shiny new banks of slick patches.......

theeeeeeeen..

i go to play some.

sometimes i press a key and its fine..sometimes the keys dont make a sound at all...sometimes they do make a sound but its held forever. its totaly random and the same key will do different things each time. but i cant play more than 3 or 4 notes before it does one of those two things. and it does it for all patches not just the new ones.

i have reset it 3 times with no luck.

what the hell is going on??

anyone have any ideas???

Yes... I think it's because you're not running windows XP.

:-)

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Does it do it on all patches? Just different notes? Or are just certain patches doing this?

I've never encountered anything quite like this with my hardware synths, but it seems that you're OS for you board is not functioning the way it should. Have you tried installing an earlier OS? Does the problem this occur?

If this just happens on random patches, and you've downloaded these patches for a non-officail source. It could very well be just faulty banks made by another random Indigo user.

btw... Did you get the Indigo 2? How's that thing sound... From what you can tell? Haven't gotten a chance to go to synth shops around here to check out the new gear that's been coming. The original Indigo is still impressive.

i have the regular indigo. but its great. the added features of the the indigo c dont really justify the price difference (at least not for me) they ares till almost the same....almost.

it does it on all patches. both the new ones and the old ones.

the added patches are official patches from access.

i did not try to re-patch an older os..i didnt even know you could back patch it..ill try that tonight.

thnx

yeah i called the u.s. access distributor. he gave some phone #s to call.

wow i must say i am very impressed with how helpfull the access guys are being.

there are 2 of them i guess they are the 2 access tech guys in the u.s. they gave me thier actual cell phone #s to call. i spoke with both and they really were very nice and helpfull.

of course my virus is still not working right, but i was assured that we will get the problem solved.

only problem is they will both be at naam all next week and not available. but he did say not to worry, it will get done.

Perhaps there's a hard reset button inside the machine? I've had to open up a few of my synths in the past.

The Access synths are pretty neat to look at aren't they? I've never really looked at them before. They seem to have some impressive features as well.

How many times have you tried installing the upgrade? How many times have you reset or reinstalled the previous OS?

On a separate note...

It's a well documented fact that using Win98 can cause abdominal pain and cramps. In severe cases, emergency treatment may be required. Patients all report similar symtoms: Irritability, nausea, bowel pain and a stubborn refusal to upgrade. Symptoms can be treated with a number of drugs and patients report symptoms subside after installing Windows XP.

Dr. Feathers.

hehe.....

that xp is sounding better and better. although not surprising that "a number of drugs" is needed to get people to switch.

; -)

i dont know of a hard reset and since ive only had it for a couple of weeks and the access guys are helping me..im not yet comfortable with opening it up and messin with its insides.

i have done a soft reset about 4 times with no effect. i tried installing the os twice and i also installed an os one step down.

so far nothing has changed. what i want to do is install the os i had on ther but like a dumb ass i didnt back it up. oh well..im new at this...live 'n learn.

and after only a short time getting to know it...its fantastic. i cant wait to get it fixed so i can get back to learning more about it.

Doh! :-)

How is it that the Germans are leading the way in music/sound synthesis? I don't think it's a bad thing... It's just that well... They're not exactly renowned for producing great music, are they?

It sounds like Access have a pretty good support team though, so hopefully your machine should be working soon!

"not exactly renowned for producing great music, are they?"

yea just such minor figures as Mozart, the Bach family and Ludwig Van...

telxos

ever heard of a 'lil band called

einsturzende neubauten?

only one of the most original and influential bands of the past 20 yrs.

just take a look around...you would be surprised just how many musicians have the e.n. symbol somewhere on thier instruments...equipment, and even persons.

O-(-(_

I downloaded some of their music. I will listen 2it shortly.

youve never heard thier stuff?

your in for something different.

what did you d/l?

thier music varies wildly from album to album. so if something didnt do it for ya try something else...theres lots of stuff even i an avid e.n. fan dont much care for. that whole faust thing..ugh..i cant stand it.

if you got some early stuff its likely to be very experimental, noisey, and abrasive.

later stuff tends to be much more subued and for lack of a better word "artsy".

i personaly think to get the best feel for what en is/was about listen to the compilation "strategies against architecture 2"

and please when lisening take into account all those strange sounds you hear....they are actualy making them...no synths for them. they create thier own instruments out of machienery and found objects. the drummers base drum is just a big 'ol sheet of metel.

one of my all time best concert moments was when e.n. fired up a working jet engine on stage and actualy managed to make music out if it. fucking baaaad aaassssss.

they do not mess around. they do a song - dns wasserstrum... it means dns wattertower (or some such thing) well theres a deep deep kick drum sound in it.....which they got by actualy climbing up and going into an empty wattertower with recording equipment and recorded the sound on the inside while they banged on the outside.

sorry to go on and on...but e.n. are my personal musical gods.

ill shut up now.

carry on.

I was only able to download a few. I will have a better listen via winmx.

I will search for: strategies against architecture 2

I like the watertower idea... When I lived in Nederland, I had to visit a Watertower (watertoren?) about work. An employment agency had taken residence there. :-)

I saw the reference to the jet engine when I went to the bands website.

How long have they been around?

How many notes can you get from a jet engine. I'm guessing it must have had a portamento style of pitch change since the gas control is smooth/continuous and not stepped/geared!

I'm being a smartass again.

they have been around since 1980

strategies 2 is a double cd so it might be a pain to d/l unless you have a good connection.

a very good "intro" to en is the album tabula rasa

it has a good mix of the harder edge industrial stuff and less less abrassive more "musical" stuff.

"headcleaner" has to be one of the all time ass kickinest industrial songs ever.

on the same album is the very beautiful and serene "crysanthimum"

i personaly think its their best album...but thats me.

hell you might think they just suck no matter what you hear.

but even if you do think they suck..youll still probably be able to see the talent and creativity they have...its hard to miss.

as far as musician ship and technical talent goes...i would say they are the post rock equivelent to pink floyd.

and they can be "psychedelic" too...in thier own twisted way.

again...im rambling.

Ja, I have a good connection (most of the time). I suspect I'm going to search for this music today.

Have we installed windows XP yet?

You know Ozric Tentacles?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest poliisi

wouldn't the W2K be better???

at least in our home studio (cubase sx and reason in rewire) works better and more efficient with it. Think twice before installing XP. I can't stand it myself.