5 Questions about making songs...

Guest --SYNTH--

1) Does the Phazer, Flanger, Cutoff, Resonance and distortion modify the tones of my notes??i mean...a C, after being phazered, can turn to be a C#??

2) Whats the difference between the "course" knob and the "fine" knob in softsynths??? Can both screw up my songs (like taking out of the right tone)??

3) How to import Akai samples (.bin) to my kontakt??

4) Do the presets of softsynths come already in the right tone? like if i press the C, it will always inicially sound like a real C???

5) Does my kick and snare drum has to be in the right tone of the song??

Thanks, this site is awesome!!

-- PSY 4 EVER --

1) no

2) fine means it makes very small, slight changes while, while coarse makes jumps through whole half-tones. Of course they both can screw up your tune, is used incorrectly.

4) They should be, the best is to try yourself

5) no

Guest --SYNTH--

the problem, if a synth doesn't come in the right tone, is that i can't tell what note is that by just simply hearing the sound of it...if any synth comes with wrong tones i'm lost!!!

Does someone has any tips to guess if a sound is C or, C#, F....????

and does someone have already heard any softsynth that came with wrong tunes???

Guest etherdesign

For the Akai CD's.. you will need to burn then with Nero or some other CD-Burning software to be able to use them, then you will be able to import the programs into you Akai-reading sampler of choice, or use CD-Xtract to convert the programs or samples into another format.

Alternately, if you don't have a CD-R, you can download Daemon Tools, and mount the cue/bin as a virtual drive, and then do the same with importing samples or using cd-xtract.

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

> Does someone has any tips to guess if a sound is C or, C#, F....????

The only way is to use your ears - it's what they're there for :) If the sound you're playing sounds out of key (wrong pitch) then pitch it...! If you have a sound pitched in C play another one on top of it, to check if it's in tune or not - really, there's no magic to it, unless (excute my harsh words...) you're tonedef.

Very desparete measures would be to get a pitch analyzer (guitar tuner, whatever), but it's a machine, so it can't be trusted.... The only thing you can trust in musicmaking are your ears and your brain - they'll figure it out for you :)

all effects will change the tone if youre not careful enough, and lots of filter movement, esp wit lots of resonance may alter the tone of your sound. However you'll hear it when it happens. Use yur ears. If it sounds alright, then its fine :)

Guest DeeperNETWERK

a lot of resonance will not change the tone, to make it unusable. It just gives a very faint tone, which will be your original tone. MOST vsti's should come with correct pitch, unless it's some sorta preset FX which is just noise. The best way to check, which you shouldn't really have to do this if you have a sense of music, is open up your midi system on your system and play the piano.

Just understand synthesis, and realize what the knobs that you are twisting actually do. There are plenty of websites out there that will explain this to you in great detail. This is pretty basic stuff, and should probably learn it before you dig deep into a track, which is not ment to sound snotty on my part. It just is...

The main knobs that will alter your pitch (they may be called something different on your machine) are... OSC Envelope depth, OSC LFO Depth, Range and Fine (mainly used on the 2nd OSC / Fine is mainly used for detuning). Those are basic synth controls. I dont use many VSTi's so, sorry, i can not really relate to them.

Hi,

Why don't you use soundforge or Wavelab to tell you the pitch of a tone? They both have excellent spectrum and wave plotting functions and will give you a very precise readout of frequency and note value for a given sample.

Guest Lord of Destiny

For burning .cue+.bin files, enter the following word into any search engine (www.google.com, for example.):

cdrdao

this program requires another, also easily found program called

xduplicator

you should be able to find both of these without much trouble, just enter it in a search engine.

good luck! ;)

Lord of Destiny