PC Or Mac for music?

I asked this question before but it was war here (between mac and pc users) so i didn't get any answer.. so i am asking again should i get a pc or a mac? i have some hardware synths and i i am mostly gonna work with midi..a bit with audio... Mac is 3 times as expensive and i must buy programs..for PC i have 4 cd's with cracked programs and i have people around me who can help me with the computer but i don't know no anyone who can help me with a mac..what do you think?? i know mac is more stable accordning to some people (i didn't experience it with my mac G3)..anyway..what do you think??

Peace Lunar

Guest Full Lotus

If you go for a PC, then make sure you use something like windows2000 or XP, as these are far more stable than win98/ME. Make sure that it is at least a P4 with alot of memory and a large hard disk. Get a decent soundcard as well. I can't comment on Macs as I have never used them, but I'm sure EP will advise you as he uses both. No doubt he'll advise you to go for the mac option..... :)

Guest Spindrift

Heeh.....sensitive subject...but nevermind...I can handle some flames :-)

A few years back the PC's was not built to handle audio tasks well at all, and although logic and cubase had audio versions out since the mid 90's, it took years before they actually was possible at all to get it to work ok.

Nowadays, I run an XP system with pulsar and logic, and it's stable enough to run my arrangements in realtime when i play live.

Although I haven't tried Logic on OSX yet, I would suspect that it would also be possible

on that configuration.

I very rarely have crashes, and normally they are related to a dodgy plugin, same as my experience with a well configured mac.

Mac's nowadays can require a lot of work to run well nowadays.

I used to work doing configurations of mac systems for studios, and after OS 8.6, it turned out to a nightmare to get a lot of software/hardware combinations to work well.

It normally involved hours of trying to switch extensions on and off, and was very tedious.

Hmm...tried to keep it neutral..but now I just stop writing to not upset anyone..

I just want to add that if you are a girl you will fall for the fancy styling, and the userfriendly one button mouse...girls just love mac's........mac's is for girls ;-)

this is indeed a hard one to answer objectively.

the main difference is price. i just bought a new pc 2,4 p4 1gig ram 200gb hd and it cost me one fifth of the largest g4 apple has for sale and kicks the apples butt anyway. so i am quite happy with my choice regardless of all the sucking up to apple that musicians do. ever since pc components wiggled their way into the mac many more compatability problems than before and not to forget the noise the new models make. it´s a shame you have to lock such a nice looking computer in the room next door just to hear yourself think. it´s up to you but think of the price vs. performance (not stability since this is not a problem with the right hardware and setup)

Guest Spindrift

Lunar,

I stay in Örebro, but I'm off to goa in a few day's time, so I can't do more than try to help you here now.

I haven't tried OSX yet, but from what I understand the extensions is still there.

What you need to do to get the mac to run well is to get rid of all the extensions that is not absolutly necessary. Make one extension set for when using your non audio software and hardware, and one minimalistic one for audio use.

There is now hundreds of extensions, and I can't remember which need to be on of the top of my head, and it might be some different ones in OSX. There is a whole bunch of obscure one's, like carbon.lib, with no description that you just have to find out by trying.

You want quicktime on, but not all the extras like vr and musical instrument's.

Quick draw should be off.

It makes for a lot of hours of rebooting before you find an extension set that will work well.

I haven't found any good guides or websites about mac configuration for audio myself, but if you go for winXP instead in the end (my recommendation unless you want pro-tools or plan to invest in logic hardware, and want a more powerful system for a lower price ), then follow this guide when installing and configuring your system.

Guest lunar man

kommer du till sthlm nån gång??? om du har vägarna förbi här, så kan jag betala dig om du hjälper..jag är såå trött på all skit..det funkar aldrig..vad rekomenderar du för PC om man ska bygga en själv??? och vilket ljudkort (med låg latency som låter BRA!..tänkt på köpa en digidesign 001 och köra med logic på )..hjälp mig snälla..har du nån icq så kanske det blir lättare att snacka?

MVH Jannis

Guest Spindrift

Tyvärr, no time...won't be in sthlm again until spring time....

If you are getting a new PC system, first decide on what soundcard you are planning to use. Then ask the manufacturer of that card, what machines they use for testing mainly.

Configure your own machine with the same motherboard and graphics card, and get the shop to build it for you.

Do not buy a ready package that seem to give a lot for the money, go for quality instead.

Avoid all branded machines.

ASUS motherboards seem to be the best , and Athlon the best value for processors.

The soundcard with the best performance, latency wise, is RME hammerfall.

Pulsar also have harware ASIO and performs well, as well as having an amazing synthesis system included.

Neither of them come with multipla analog out's, but have ADAT connectors that enables you to get external analog converters.

I say whatever floats your boat man. Both machines have pros, both machines have cons. Some'll say the Mac is more stable...Some'll say the PC has more softwares... It all depends on what you do. And the "well the PC costs less" arguments, its basically bullshit, because a PC configured for music costs almost as much as a Mac..

That said, my personnal preference is PC because I could never come to terms with my hatred of MacOS, but thats a "user's" choice. My techjunkie/gearpussy/geek side loves the Mac's architecture.

Guest Weirdo Beardo

Why use Mac OR PC?

Use Atari! Its cheap and it never crashes...

I did some collaboration with a friend in our studio this weekend, and we brought his PC to blend some of the software-stuffs in to the analogue sound of our studio.....

His PC gave us the famous bluescreen atleast 10 times, while the Atari just keept going on.... And in the end, we used about 90% analogues anyway, so my advice would be to go get an Atari and spend the rest of your money on synthesizers...

Softsynth's kills the inspirational part of creating music!!*

/Beardo...

Guest coriolis

yes! ataris and analogs! but... analog synths are too much money, its a very expensive luxury... they really break the bank, especially the ones that work well and don't have busted parts. for the money you can't beat a PC.

Guest Weirdo Beardo

No, they are not...

I've personally compared side-by-side, and discovered that the analogues sounds much more alive...

And there are some certain, probably quite stochastic parameters, that you can't ever simulate...

So, you get what you pay for...

Softsynths - Cheap, but sounds crap...

Analogues - Expensive, but sounds phat!!!

/Ulf.

Guest Mashiro

Spindrift , please don't rant about an operating system you are obviously not at all familiar with. MacOSX has none of the extension madness you describe. No 'extensions' at all, in fact.

One of the things I like with macosx is that I never need to shutdown or restart my iBook. ^^ While as I've understood it windows systems can get unstable after only a week or two of uptime, I've never experienced any problems with macosx with over two months of uptime. When I do reboot it's because my battery is running low. ;)

For music, I think it would depend a lot on what software you want to run. I would decide that first.