Who has Audiophile 2496 and doesn't have Asio Overload prob

Guest --SYNTH--

Please someone help me!! I have a Pentium 4 1.6 mhz, Win XP os, 512 mb and 2 soundcards(audiophile 2496 and SB Live Platinum) = a powerfull computer isn't it??

The problem is that i keep getting the message "ASIO Overload" in my Logic 5.2. My computer is too good for this!! I've already dowloaded the latest drivers, I've already disabled the SB Live, I've just formated my whole computer (and installed only Logic and Plugins)...I dunno what else can I do...

Please tell me what can I do to stop receiving this message...i'm already thinking on changing my sound card...

Guest --SYNTH--

im running Kontakt(5x)+Absynth(1x)+ Muon Tau Pro(1x) and a wav sample roll(kicks)...i don't think thats too much...i'm still in the beginning of my song...

everytime it stops at the same time...I won't be able to keep producing if it doesn't get better....

I need to make my hard-psy songs plz!!!:(

hmmmm, ok. for starters, absynth will prolly chew up a huge amount of CPU power on any system. just try by-passing it or bouncing it down.

how does that affect things?

do u need to use kontact as your sampler?

i dont know for sure, but id say u'd get better performance using logic's native EXS24. i can run about 20 of those on a P3 1Ghz with minimal fuss.

have u also tried changing your buffer settings?

if the buffer is too small, it may be part of the problem.

are u running some phat-ass reverb plug-in?

plugs like the waves renaissance reverb, and some other vst reverbs will blow the performance out of the water (especially reverbs with hi/lo cut filters etc.)

other than that, ive heard of a few ppl having major performance issues with logic 5.2

perhaps try to get your hands on the 5.3 upgrade and see how that compares. or alternatively, how did 5.1 run on your system?

hope this helps u mate!

:-)

oh, and check your 'system information' for any possible problems in the conflicts/sharing

Guest --SYNTH--

1) I need to use Absynth (I can't live without it) (even without it... asio overloads)

2) Kontakt is the best sampler imo. I need it

3) I've already tried to put the buffer to Small, medium, large and jumbo...and checked the "Larger Buffer Range" and it doesn't work

4) I'm not running any reverbs but I don't think that a P4 1.6 with 512mb can't work with reverbs (one of the most powerfull weapons on the psy). Reverbs are essencial!!

5)And I've already tryied to produce in the logic 5.0, 5.1, and now 5.2

...and how can I check my "system information" to look for conflicts??

thanks for the try anyway Reece??

Guest DePress

Welcome to reality (I'm very sorry to say that) :-)

Even though computers have doubled it's performance in faster cycles the last 10 years, there are still some areas we're only beginning to meet even the lowest requirements for a descent performance; movie editing, 3d animation and virtual synths.

Even if you're computer is a "rather" descent one you still cannot expect to put a whole band into it with all the phanzy synths and sound effects that you would like to. I have experienced the same thing myself, and I am becoming more and more aware of the importance of using VSTi's and plugins requiring the lowest possible to cpu load to stack a larger numbers of them on top of eachother.

This is not a soundcard problem. The M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 is a good enough card in itself - and the problem you are facing is your CPU overloading. There is no DSP on the soundcard - so all the algorithms in the synths you are plugging in is taking processing power directly from your CPU. That's the main problem...

I have a pretty similar machine configuration as you have... and I am pretty pleased with it... for now. Absynth is really CPU hungry - and in my setup I estimate Absynth to consume about 20-25% cpu - per instance.

So stick with your card! You will experience the same shit with even more expensive cards not having it's own DSP onboard. And even soundcards WITH DSP's do have this problem. My friend has an older version of Creamware Pulsar - and he claims that the CPU load is going critical on loading 2-3-4 quality synths on top of eachother....

So this is a know problem, my friend... and a rather common one. Unless u spend thousands of dollars on a rack of powerful PC's and run them as dedicated "VSTi-servers".

Solution: Intel is claiming that they will have a 15 Ghz processor on the market in some years. That's 10 times more power than you have now - and you'll be able to stack 10 times more synths on top of eachother. :-)

Guest DePress

And one more thing...

Logic is even more power hungry than Cubase...

If you have both - do the switch asap. Now that Logic has cut all development on further Windows-versions of Logic - the decision should be an easy one.

Don't bet on a dead horse - crap Logic - switch to Cubase - and regain at least A LITTLE cpu and memory. :-)

hmmmm, well i dont think its 'reality'....

there seems to be something else which is causing these problems....

i re-created the same set-up u mentioned SYNTH, on my p3 1 ghz, non-asio driven soundcard and had NO problems.

so i would definately be checking for some sort of hardware conflict/resource sharing problems.

its prolly not the same for XP, but for 98/ME etc., go

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

Harware Resources > Conflicts/Sharing

preferably your soundcard will have its own irq channel

also check the problem devices tab

few other things that have just occured to me, you're running XP, have u tweaked the f**k out of it and turned off all the fancy shit???

(is this computer a dedicated digital audio workstation?, if yes, is it optimally configured for that role?)

are u running any background applications like anti-virus etc.?

dont worry dude, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this :-)

DePress - im genuinely interested to see some evidence of your logic vs. cubase claim.

can u point me to some relevant website etc.?

(plz note - this message is NOT intended to start a cubase vs. logic flame war!!!)

Guest --SYNTH--

reece: there's a lot of things writen in "Conflicts/Sharing". What do I have to do??

reece: I 've already turned off all the shit in XP (but it didn't help). My comp is just audio!! nothing runs in background(only my cable internet)...

reece: maybe its a asio prob...u know...u used a non-asio and u had no prob...maybe if i forget about m-audio and use just SB live it'll work...the only prob it's that the latency of SB it's too big!!

shpongled: I'm gonna try using just SB Live instead m-audio

DePress: u might be right but if u hear a skazi, IM, sun project's production, u'll see that they use a lot of effects, different types of synths, a bunch of samples, rich drums...I can't even make a 2 minutes song!!

hmm..this one is hard to explain for me..but i will try...

if you only work with Audio you have to get a hardisc that is 7200 (i don't know you say it in English..someone help here..in sweden we call it varvare)..it doesn't matter if your computer is 1.4 GHZ..Your hardisc must also be very fast...i think 7200 is the fastest hardisc right now..how fast is your hardisc (not how big)...

Lunar

...7200 rpm??? (rotations by minute?!)

...and you can know that in turning on your bios config. at the starting of your computer!

good luc

Peace

if u are running most of your stuff (vsti's) in realtime, the hard drive speed should not make much difference really.

hard drive speed only becomes important when u are using disk-based recording/playback.

ie - all your parts are audio files streaming off the hard-disk.

from what u have told us SYNTH, u are using VSTi's... the performance of which is more dependant on the CPU + Ram. i wouldnt worry too much abou the hard drive speed at the moment.

try using the sb with the EASI MME drivers/PC AV and see how that goes. id be VERY suprised if they out-performed the ASIO drivers tho...

imho, ASIO drivers are the best and *should* give u way better performance.

in system information, check components > problem devices

anything come up their? if yes, fix it! :-)

with the conflicts/sharing, is the IRQ number of the Audiophile the same as any of the other devices?

if it is, you need to either

a) call the place u bought the computer from and either ask them how to change an IRQ setting, or take it in for them to do.

B) trawl the net for tutorials on how to do so, or

c) ask a tech-head friend to do it for u

its kinda hard and time consuming to explain how to do this over a forum,

maybe someone else would like to take up the challenge?

good luck bro :-)

I have a measly athlon 850mhz, 256mb ram, and SBLive and I can run without any glitches at < 10ms latency. And, taking my latest track for example, i can use:

7 Absynth

3 Junglist

1 Pro52

1 Scorpion

and about a dozen different samples each around 500k to 2mb

Over that I have:

16 Compressors and 16 Parametric EQs (one for each channel)

7 delays

4 reverbs

1 flanger

1 phaser

All that uses between 40% and 75% of my CPU (depending how much is used at the same time of course).

Whats more, Im using DirectX drivers, which should be, in theory, much slower than ASIO.

So I don't know what you guys are doing to get such god awful results, but maybe you should consider uncluttering your system. My tips:

1. Avoid XP at all costs, use Win98se.

2. Do not install antivirus softwares, espcially not Norton.

3. Do not let Windows manage the virtual memory by itself, set it to 200mb yourself.

4. Do not install anything that is likely to clutter the system by being always present (the winamp agent, icq, msn messenger, kazaa)

Guest thenothing

forgive me if this has already been covered but im at work and didnt have time to read the whole thread.

I had the exact same problem but with a different sound card....using PC AV instead of Asio fixed the problem immediately...give it a try.

-Dan

Guest --SYNTH--

reece: With PC AV I don't have any probs...but it's lattency it's a crap!!!

I did everything that's on the thread and nothing...The better choice is to go to Cubase SX

"...The better choice is to go to Cubase SX..."

nahhhhh.....

maybe when steinberg makes native synths that can even remotely compare to the ES2, EVOC, D-6, B-3 etc. i might consider it...

well, good luck my friend :-)

Guest coriolis

nooo not cubase - don't give up yet.

-how often are you getting the asio overload errors? in logic's preferences there is an option to just not show it. audio will still stop, but the error will not confront you and you can just hit play again. if you only get them every now and then, you can deal with that. in fact, this error is so common that is WHY emagic included the option not to show it.

-what is the latency setting of your m-audio card, and can you change it?

-try removing your ethernet network card (if you have one) as these can clutter up the pci bridge

-try switching video cards, as some video cards can also interfere with communication between software and the soundcard

-make sure you have the latest drivers from your motherboard manufacturer installed

-make sure you have the latest soundcard drivers installed

-make sure you're hard drives are running in DMA mode (go to device manager, check the properties for your IDE controllers, go to advanced settings and make sure you don't see it using PIO. if your using PIO, your running in an old, dos-friendly hard drive mode and your performance will crash and burn.) what DMA mode does it say you are running in?

- download the update to logic so you are running 5.3, they may have adressed a bug fix pertaining to your system, who knows?

- do NOT go back to win98se as someone advised.

- run over everything you are running and make sure there aren't any hidden applications or threads eating up your cpu. winXP has a cpu load meter if you press ctrl-alt-del and choose task manager and then the perfomance tab.

Guest Spindrift

DePress:

The reason cubase draws less CPU is that is that they put less attention to professional sound quality. Mixing, if done properly, does draw a lot of CPU power. But logic never set their aims for the consumer market really, so they assume you invest in a hefty computer to go with your $700 piece of software.

I will switch to another sequencer when there is one that is better, or maybe even be forced to go mac again...

Synth:

After you started logic, try this:

Press ctrl>alt>delete and select 'task manager'.

Click the Processes tab, and right-click on The logic executable and set priority to above normal.

That worked wonders on my creamware system.

Otherwise, make sure you have done all the necessary tweaks to XP....it's terribly bloated as it comes.

Must have guide for installing and configuring XP for use with audio software

Guest coriolis

changing the priority class - nice tip spindrift! thanks. i hadn't thought of that. i too am running logic with a creamware card on xp, and have been getting a few too many asio overloads for my likings, but otherwise all is well. this tweak just might do the final trick...