opinions on these monitors?

Guest coriolis

i am researching buying a pair of powered near field monitors, at or below $500/pair (street price, MSRP can be higher). i am considering:

-alesis m1 mkII

-behringer "truths"

-event ps-5

-event ps-6 (slight above $500/pair but... is it worth it?)

-m-audio studiophile sp-5b (cheapest option)

-m-audio bx8

-fostex pm-1

...any other speakers i should be looking at?

does anyone use these monitors and what is your take on them? my concerns and needs:

- good bass response. none of this 200hz and up crap. gimme the lows!

- no low/midrange problems, i'd rather compromise the highs than the lows/mids

- but of course, no trashy highs, i'm sick of trashy highs

- no separate subwoofer mumbo jumbo or other hidden costs to acheive the correct sound

- powered

- durable, well made, not gonna fall apart... (the behringer truths are apparently great speakers but poorly made... it isn't worth it to me to have to deal with that!)

- i don't need million dollar recording grade monitors and i don't expect them. however, i do need a good set of speakers that are going to get as close as possible to sending into my ears the frequencies that are in my music, no more no less. the cheaper the better, but i can spring for up to $500.

any help would be highly appreciated! i'm in a bad area for pro audio dealers so i can't just go listen to these units. the more opinions i get the better.

i will say though that i am most drawn to the alesis m1-mkIIs based on what i've read so far. their major flaw is apparently their bass-heaviness, which is easy to compensate for by plugging the ports. i am interested in finding out more about the fostex pm-1s, i read a good review of the pair in musicians friend but thats the only thing i've ever seen written about it, and i'm not going to buy them based on a review published in a reseller catalog.

thanks again. i want to hear the real truth about your experience with any of the above or similarly related monitors! but don't tell me i'm crazy to buy them and to go spend $1600 for a pair of mackies coz i can't afford it, or otherwise i would :)

coriolis

Guest DeeperNETWERK

I use the Event PS-8's which are the step up from the PS-6's. I love working with these monitors and they give you a really good idea of how my recordings will come out. My first opinion would be the PS-6's for you. I wouldn't "trust" behringer products all that much as they are known to be the the cheap and low end products of the music production market. M-audio stuff stuff is pretty good. I recommended a pair of the Studiophiles to a buddy of mine and he seems to love them. They are sorta small and lack on the bass output, but they get the job done for 300 dollars. When i bought my first pair of monitors i brought in a very well produced cd ... The Lone deranger... and had the guy play out of each speaker while i sat and chilled out for about 2 hours listening and analyzing each one. No monitor is alike and it's really kinda how your ears respond to them. I choose the Events cause they seemed to have the widest range and pay close attention to the high/mid section. I will admit i do bring my recordings to other speakers and car systems to check the bass levels cause i dont have the add on sub woofer. But you should do this anyways just to make sure. If you have a music shop around you with a wide selection of monitors ask the guy working there if you test em out! That's why they are sitting there all plug in and looking pretty. It's really your personal preference, but definitly look into the Events. They make good stuff.

I'm the buddy of his who purchased the Studiophiles, and they're definitely awesome!! NETWERK is correct in saying that the lowest lows aren't as prominant as they could be, but if you already have a separate sub that won't matter.....

I really can't say anything bad about these speakers, as they've done me well for hmm what about 3-4 months now NETWERK?

Guest coriolis

expluse:

you've tried the alesis mk2... can you tell me more about them? i've narrowed my options down to the event ps-6 or ps-8 and the alesis mk2. the mk2 has a definite price advantage - $400/pair vs. $530-$600+/pair. the others i've ruled out based on too many negative reviews or lack of reviews entirely.

the problem is that no dealers around me carry the mk2s so i can't hear them. i can go and hear the event models tho!

thanks

coriolis

Guest coriolis

whoa - i had a big lesson today on monitors! so much for the ps-6. i have increased my price range to potentially up to $1600 for a pair. i went out on a listening adventure today and the sum of my experience was: you get what you pay for, all the way up! the ps-6s were actually pretty good for their little size but in listening to them i realized i needed more.

i'm now looking at the mackie hr824s as my high-mark option and the krk v6 as my low-mark option, although the alesis m1k mkII actives are still in the court because i haven't heard them, and i would REALLY like to hear a pair. i have a feeling that these speakers are going to perform really well and they are only $400 a pair, and for that price point i'm willing to sacrifice some of my expectations. but i did realize today that, overall, my standards and expectactions were much higher than my desired price range.

looks like, unless the m1mkIIs pan out positively, i'm going to have to save up for a while...

Guest DeeperNETWERK

That's a real good idea Coriolis. If you are raising your price range check out genelec... Them and mackie probably have the best sounding monitors in the 1000+ range.

PS5 & PS6 : not worth the trouble and money, these are more like home cinema sattelites.

Alesis mk2 : their nickname is "shitbox" and are usually used in shops to show you how good everything else sounds.

Truths: A little notch under the PS8's according to most people, but for the price, can't beat them. Lots of switchable options on the back like room compensation, and rolloff. I'd say these are some of the best monitors for project studios and independant artists.

Ps8: Wide stereo image and crisp sound. unfortunately, a little too smooth sounding. They lack 'bite' in the mid / hi-mid section so your mix comes out a little harsher than intended.

20/20 : They cost a fair bit, but these are probaby the flatest monitors around.

Remember one thing though, YOU GET USED to your monitors. After mixing a few track on them and then listening to those tracks on various other sound systems, you'll be able to adjust your mixing accordingly. That said, its no reason to buy shitty speakers like alesis/roland/yamaha.

Guest coriolis

thanks for the advice everyone

i've heard of genelic and i'll check them out. any particular models to avoid or check out?

so they call the mk2s the "shitboxes" eh? okay well nevermind about those things. once i realized what to expect from a sub $1000 monitor pair, i figured the alesis mk2s wouldn't cut it.

random: about the behringer truths - i've read that these things sound good but are very poorly made and unreliable, seeing reports of users having the tweeters just die after a couple months and so on. what is you take on this?

i've heard good things about the 20/20s. i am going to hunt down a pair and listen to them. i wonder how they'll compare to the mackie hr824s. see, i'm willing to wait a bit and spend the money to get a pair of hr824s, and i've heard nothing but good things about those speakers, and i've got a friend with a pair and i've heard them myself.

anyway thanks again for the input.

I haven't had any problems with the Truths really. But if you drive them hard all the time, they'll brek down. Like any other monitor would. Some people are just stupid and think monitors make nice boxes to throw a party at home :)

I definately recommend the 20/20 over the 824. And the Genelecs are way 'too flat'... I mean, they sound dead... no matter what you play in them, it'll come out faded, flat, dead and just plain annoying.

I say go for the truths or the 20/20

Guest coriolis

I checked out the genelec specs. It looks like you'll need the subwoofer, which runs about $800, to hear signals lower than 68hz (68hz is the -3db threshold of the 2029A speakers). They're designed to crossover with the subwoofer. looks like the mackies are ahead in this respect (with 39-22.5khz +/- 1.5db!). 68hz is a bit too high to be mixing psy, i think. Maybe if i was mixing for the radio it would be ok, but i think i'll have to eliminate the genelecs as an option, unless i went with a much more expensive pair.

random: you like the 20/20s better than the hr824s? this is surprising but i haven't heard them - i'll definately have to check them out. they run about $800 a pair which definately beats the hr824s.

thanks for the tips

Guest eXpulse

Well ,

I'd rather master with headphones than Truths, my car stereo sounds more believable

anyway, you can't give an advise on monitors, you have to hear for yourself

spend couple of hours in the store , and see what you like better

Guest Gaittins

The Event PS-5's are nice sounding and small/light weight if your work station must be mobile. Good overall sound but beware ... don't use them in a big room. They just don't have enough to fill a large room.

Guest coriolis

anyone know about the NHT-A10s? they're at not a good price for two passives and included amp.

expulse: i am seeking advice to figure out which models to hunt down and listen to. i don't have a good store around here so i have to call everywhere and drive many miles to hear a specific set of speakers.

Guest eXpulse

Then just pay the most you can afford

you get used to any pair of monitors after a while

just takes longer to get used to crappy ones, that's it

Guest coriolis

ancientz: the 1029a pair and 1091a sub together would cost over 2000 according to what i've found - where did you see these both together for $1600?