SH-101 in Psy/Goa

Heh... you don't sound very convincing....... does _everything_ work? If not.. tell what's out of order. I have sh-101 but i'm quite sure i don't want to sell/trade it. How about you... can you sell the MS-20?

I don't know exactly what you mean. The MS-20 is 100% and I am considering to exchange it for a 101. I've used the MS-20 for years

and I am looking for other gear now. I like to create Goa/Psy based

tracks and I ask people their experience with the 101.

Marc

Guest Lifeform

I'd keep the MS20 ( i know i'd love to get my hands on one of those ). And spend 350 bucks for a SH101 on eBay. Then you'll have both. Both are excellent machines.

Guest Elysium Project

Marc the MS - 20 can do exactly what the SH - 101 can do...just more and better.

The SH - 101 is a great little peace of gear but I would never get rid of a MS - 20 for the SH - 101 especially when the MS - 20 is far superior.

I would go for Lifeform's suggestion.

I always found the MS-20 complex, no fat basses. It's more a machine for high pitched ambient noises I think. I thought that the 101 was used very often in Goa.

Thank you all for your reactions.

Marc

Guest Spindrift

The SH-101 is used a lot in many types of electronic dance music....so is the MS-20....

I would think the MS-20 is worth a bit more, I haven't check the going prices, but the MS-20 it a lot more advanced machine.....

Soundwise they are two extremes really.

The SH-101 with simple clear and fat sounds nice for basses and leads, and the MS-20 with complex and fuzzy sounds useful for fx, sweeps and noisy sounds.

Spindrift

Guest Elysium Project

It's my expereince (after working with the MS-20 quite a while) that it can produce exatly the same basses and sounds as SH-101. Of course you need to know how to program it to make those sounds..I would never trade a MS-20 for a SH-101.

Again thanks. We have also a Akai AX60, Pro one, 303 and I never found the MS-20 that special. I payed about $200 a few years ago. When I look at a lot of studios and dance producers you'll often see the 101. I am not sure why.

Marc

Guest EP hater

ASylum Project, your ignorance about gear really shows. The sh-101 is *the* goa/psy sound used in countless records. Some infected tracks showcase it, but listen to Hallucinogen or Shpongle and you will really notice its sound. Older x-dream is another strong representative. This is the one synth that has been used the most in most classic tracks.

NO Ms series can touch these liquid filters- *THAT* resonance or these fast, punchy envelopes. Quite honestly the MS-20 is not that good of a synth, ESPECIALLY for bass. Its HP filter is nice and its filters can get dirty, but it has slow envs and really doesn't sound too great despite being more flexible than the 101.

STICK TO YOUR DIGITAL CRAP LIKE TRINITY FAN-BOY.

I got the ms 20

I use the 101 in the a*** studio, it is cool.

2 great synth, different but great.

do not trade your ms 20

buy an 101 if you want

but not trade your ms 20

trust me.

go on with your songs and use it.

nam

yeah, let's face it everyone... YOU NEED A 101 OR YOU CAN'T MAKE GOA!

hell, you can't even make decent electronic music without one!! the 101 is all you need bro!!!

Guest EP hater

nobody said it was all you need, as a matter of fact the sh-101 is quite thin. its that filter and the envs that make it a staple in electronic music

but what i am arguing here is that Asylum Project specifically said that the MS-20 can recreate all of the sh-101's sounds.

That is bullshit! I've been listening to Total Eclipse all night. An MS-20 nor any other synth can do this sort of acid style! More people use sh-101s for acid lines than tb-303s actually!

Also what about Astral Projection? Wanna try and get their sound on an MS-20? You can't! Why not? The dumb synth doesn't even have Pulse Width Modulation. The PWM on the sh-101 sounds great BTW!

Another point...the LFOs on the 101, the speed, variety and the "sound" they influence are very distinctive. Replicate them on the MS-20? Never...

In a nutshell, the MS-20 and Sh-101 sound totally different. Asylum Project should sell his Trinity and have his ears checked out...

Guest lunar man

What the fuck do you guys mean with you can't make psy without the SH-101?...i had mc-202 (which i sold last week) and it has the exactly the same engine as the 101..the only difference is that you have to "pitch" the 202 like you do in rebirth with the 303...and sure, it is a good machine but not that good...Get a waldorf Q and you will see...i have created "almost" the same sounds on both machines...and the novation basstation i have can also produce almost the same sounds...i think it's all about taste.. and believe me, the MS-20 can make FAT basses but it's far more complex than the 101...the 101 will sound good whatever you do with it, but when you know your ms-20 it's far far better..trust me...

still marc: do you wanna sell your ms-20???

Peace

Ok Lunar man, I think that a lot of people have convinced me to keep the MS-20 and buy a 101. If you want a MS-20 it is not difficult to get one. As I mentioned before I bought mine for $200. This is less than what people ask for a 101.

Regards,

Marc

Guest DeeperNETWERK/Lifeform

Ep Hater ... hey kid... I've probably made a bigger name for myself then you ever will. You don't jack shit on me, and roaming around these forums with a "nickname" EP hater, it shows how stupid and immature you are. Your probably 15 and you think your fucking cool cause you know about the SH101 ohhh wow... haha... Yeah... You probably dont even one either one of these synths your mentioning. Grow up and shut the fuck up.

Guest WoggleBug

you have no need for a 101 whatsoever

Why the hell would you want one when you have a pro one? and a 303 and an ax60? 303 does your acid, pro one can do all the sounds an sh101 can do and better, pro one's a superior synth. Honestly though on the whole mc202 sh101 comparison, sh101 is alla bout playing the keys.

another thing i must say, sh101 isn't that special. I would never pay the ridiculous prices for one again.

don't pull the "i know my shit" in the end all that matters is your melody + how you use the synth. the 101 can deliver some fast basslines in a a hurry, but so can a pro one, or ms20, do you know what an eq is on a mixer?;)...

who cares if ucan't get *that* sh101 sound...isn't it getting a bit old?

and again, infected mushroom more often showcases nord leads and juno106 sounds, but more than that, they showcase a quadraverb gt an aweful amount. and you know what? i haven't heard them showcase an sh101 at all, i don't even think they own one, perhaps the 3 sh101s i've owned were all lemons?

simon posford owns an ms20, and i believe i saw oforia with one as well? so it has it's applications in trance

ms20 is a great synth, value wise you'd be getting ripped off. it's good you're keeping it, ms20 avg like 700-800 usd, and sh101 gray colored avg like 400 now, blue/red about 500 I think this is greatly overpriced when you can get so much better stuff now. and i'm sure you know after using cv/gate after a while, it's fun to have full midi ; ) simply can't do half the tricks with cv/gate

you have all the analog sounds you need covered, if i were you i'd maybe aim for a kurzweil 2000 to sample your sounds if you dig only using hardware... ; )...that'd be more useful, sell that piece of poo ax60 sample the ms20 funk ;D and then make 1000 of zany sounds using vast = )...