MAC or PC

Guest Question

Hi all , i would like to know what you guys favourite platform is for music making..?

Do you use HARDWARE sequencers or only soft ?

Mine is :

Mac for logic and spark (unfortunatly i dont OWN one:) )

PC for some other stuff..... (the most because of the reason mentioned above!)

Greetz

K.

Ps: Atari users can mention that as wel !!!! :)

well recently logic has been bought outright by apple so using any new logic software on pc wont happen.

i use a pc. i dont think that there is any real difference apart from one is multi tasking the other is not. this makes macs more stable (allegedly!)

Guest Kiph The Elephant

PC of course. No other computer comes even close. PC is the only puter that has those wonderful Microsoft products. Bill Gates is such a hero of mine. When Bill takes over the world it will be the mac users that are beheaded first. Oh glory to Bill and his great wisdom!

Yeah PC is for me. Don't actually make music much. Just play around a bit. Mostly use it for writing school papers, surfing the net and playing games. The ability to make music is just a nice bonus. For music making my old slow computer really isn't all that good.

Well I think PC are far more better :

1. You find much more software for a PC platform

2. Cheaper

3. The % of people using PC ovehelm that of the MAC users

4. If u want to replace (or buy) a piece of hardware u will see that the PC is the better one (price, variaty, consulting...)

And a lot of other arguments.

Anyway the only think I thought MAC would be better was the stability.

But now after my X-Dream party in Shkup in wich their MAC crashed

2 time during a 1 1/2 apparence, i changed my mind.

At the end I think that my 3 argument will answer PC RULES.

when the time will come the the MAC users overhelm PC users

then we can do the whole debate again.

peace :)

Guest Question

i dont wanna start a war , i have witniced them enough here :)

No just curious ..

i dont Prefer any platform

Mac: better Clock and gigaflops rate

Pc: kicks ass to

Love them both !

Just wanted some other musicians opinion !

Greets!

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

I have to argue about this - I just bought a Mac, and was very nervous about it at first... But here are some counterparts for the arguments above:

Stability: It all comes down to what your extension-set is like on the mac - if you're running a lean one, without unneeded fancy doo-dads, then stability is not an issue compared to PC - if you have authentic versions of software, and don't use ASIO-drivers, that is...

Extensions are to Mac what drivers are to PCs (almost - I think - I'm still new to this...) - and they can do wonderfull things for the beast - or, unfortunately, the quite opposite... Trial and error!

Software: All plugins, and that sort comes (as far as I know) for both Mac and PCs... The real deal are the small apps, of which I don't know of any cool ones for the PC - For the mac, there are plenty. My most recent *wow*-experience was about SuperCollider: a programing language entirely devoted to sound and music. Metasynth, absynth, various WAVE-editors... Mac is the way, and all the innovations comes to Mac first.

If you for some reason decide to run PC-apps... Get VirtualPC for Mac. For smaller apps, it works great! Even my Microsoft Windows runs better on the Mac - a bit though-provoking, isn't it...?

Users: More and more people are switching to Mac with experience in music-creation... I'd like to think there is a reason for that, and I may actually already have found it :) - my point is, the more serious people get about the music, the bigger the chance of taking the great leap - that's my impression anyway - I'm not saying that people who use PCs are not serious, and not very clever, mind you :)

Price: Yep, got a point there... Mac is still too expensive!!

Cheers from a new Mac'dict :) - though I stil use (and love) my PC!!

Guest Elysium Project

"More and more people are switching to Mac with experience in music-creation"

Just to clear something for you guys and gals. Mac is the industry standard computer in 95% of all recording studio's...whonder why?...well ask youself!

And about the ongoing PV v. Mac claims from PC users that never have even touched a Mac I don't give a s*** about your made - up knowledge.

Before you start to claim this and that about Mac's I suggst you actually try one first hand.

"A Mac & PC user"

Hey Andreas of Amygdala

good thoughts, but the problem is that all the little progz or whatever u have on MAC, multiplied by 10 are released for the PC.

U have to regonize one think, a software developer is clear about his product sellings, and I can guarantee u that the first version or in many cases the only one is for the PC.

Why, because of the money.

I studied my self computer science and I know very well that the MAC structure is much better then the PC, but I'm talking about year 2002 situation, and that's the fact.

Year 2002 - PC rules

Year ???? - MAC rules

:)

actually a lot of professional studios are turning towards pc's, heard of the Carillon? i got one of those beauties and they are soooo good. i can run 72 tracks of audio with about 20 plugins and my processor only runs at 700mhz. also its soooo quiet , makes less fan noise than a mac. basically they build thjem speifically for your main application and soundcard. macs were the best - not any more.

ha!

Guest Andreas Christensen

Hi llazi :)

The thing about Mac software, is that often the brilliant people who develope them, don't give a hoot about sales... Many app's are available as freeware. The SuperCollider p.lang. for instance - completely free! Not that brilliant people don't develope for PC... :)

About the platform-question... Wouldn't it be possible to write crap-code for a motorola processor? Indeed... The "fact" that Mac is a better platform, doesn't make the program it runs better - it's all in the little lines of code you must know pretty well - studying CS... As myself :)

That's the concern of the hobby-programmer, who builds the REALLY cool app's - qua-li-taei :) No release dates, no worries about sellability, no tailoring, process-oriented developing, just puuuure quality - that's what makes the good ones gooood (and the bad ones crap...). Incidently theese hobby-programmers who're into sound mostly program for Mac - at least the goooood ones.... In my opinion :)

PS. Did you finish CS?

Guest Elysium Project

"actually a lot of professional studios are turning towards pc's"

Yeah for accounting and office programs :-)

Having been a professional musician for now nearly 10 years recording in a lot of professional and semi-profesional studios around Europe I can 100% confident - as I did in my previous post - that 95% of all studio's use Mac's.

I personally do not care if a studio use a PC but I know that if I want quality and stability then I would go with a mac 100% of the time.

I would aslo never ever use a PC for my graphic work!

I use a PC for office things and conferencing/chat.

the problem with pc´s is that you have to have a minor engineering certificate in order to put together a music pc. in the mac everything is built or at least approved by apple and therefore it works by default.

the problem with instability on the pc is simply that there are too many

places it can go wrong if you don´t know what soft/hardware to use with what. this is not something that most musicians are willing to spend time on.

subsequently i think that as a starting point the mac´s have the advantage

the extensions are a really nice way of dealing with add ons. if it doesn´t work you just delete the extension. maintaining a mac system is much more hassle free than a pc.but and there is a but in my world. i use pc

and i wont change why??? cause i know the pc, i know what i can use and what i cant to keep my system stable regarding both soft/hardware

it all comes down to experience with the platform and with ten years of pc experience there is no reason for me to change.

the processing power is the same for mac and pc the factors that can change this is the implementation of different tech´s like the size of l1 and l2 caches, fsb rate ram speed and so on, so if you look at pc´s now they offer more than twice the processing power (all differences taken into account) for half the prize. the only catch is you gotta know what you´re doing. ohh yeah what type of computer do you think is used in giant cluster computer arrays???? i should think stability is the case here, it all depends on what you put in them.

i´m sorry if i come about as a bit of a mac critic but it´s frustrating to hear so many people complain about pc´s when in 90% of the cases the error is

approximately 40 cm. in front of the screen.... get it???

Guest Elysium Project

Well mono I do agree to some extend but then again I do prefer to have a computer that also actually have a nice design. PC's are so damn boring and very very badly designed.

But I will always keep telling new upcoming producers to use a Mac...why? Because of mac's much easier system (as you said yourself) and the fact that the best software still is developed for Mac's.

yes the design is something that bothers me 2 but for the most part my computer is so noisy that i lock it up in my desk. he he lazy mans way of improving the design flaws of pc´s.

Monno:

Not to change subject or anything - the cluster arrays are built with PCs because of the price - since the are indeed arrays, stability is not an issue - if one system fail, the other will take over, and software can reboot the failed system - redundancy :)

It's obviously better to design arrays from PCs, since the multitasking is no issue either - more PCs, more simultanious (spelling?) processes - a process on each computer => more points of failure, and incidently way greater fault-tolerance (only the running process is affected, not a "batch" of processes...)

I guess my point is, that for some tasks, PCs are better suited - In my opinion, music is not one of them... Being a PC veteran myself (17 years running) I know the quirks and shortcomings of the PC - which I don't for Mac, yet - but the PCs shortcoming are reason enough for me to switch...

Taste - it's a weird thing :)

.oO Andreas Oo.

Guest Full Lotus

Andreas

PC's will only support Disk arrays and fault tolerancing with a proper OS, ie NT4, W2K, XP, Unix, Linux etc. No good if you're using win98. Anyway, music and multimedia aside, you get more games for the PC platform...Now if you want a stable platform, go Linux/Unix, just a shame that there's not much software out there for these platforms - music software that is..

Full Lotus:

Totally agree :) - however, Linux and Unix are still based on the PCs (micro-)architecture, and the diverse manufactors of hardware acounts for a lot of compatibility-issues... Linux and Unix seems fairly stable indeed, and you're right about he absence of cool software - so far :)

For arrays - computational or storage - I would definetly go with a Unix-based system.

Oh, on second thought - if you go Unix on a SUN-machine or some system with motorola-CPU's I'm with ya... But those systems are closer to a mac, than to a PC, in my opinion.

All aside, music is the general topic here - so I'm voting for Mac.

Does anyone know what is meant by "true multitasking"? 'Cuase if it's what I think it is, no computer - PC or mac, or whatever - with a single processor will support it... In these systems, timesharing is the only way.

Guest Full Lotus

Multitasking is only really available if you have at least 2 CPU's and ALOT of RAM. Again, Unix, Linux, NT, W2K and XP allow multitasking. I can't comment on Macs, as I have never used them (I won't comment on them either until I do)