2 questions about Samples

1. If I want to use a sample from a certain movie, are there any legal procedures needed to follow ? I man do I break any copyright rules.

2. Is there a way to find out if someone has used it before in a track ?

One answer could be ask about it in the forum, but that's

not a complete search. Any suggestions.

Guest go@lex

if you use only 70 per cent of this sample you can, or if you have the original there's no problems i think, just link the autor name...

and the second question, no, there's no way for it but it should be nice!!!

I think we didn't understood

Let's say I have a Star Trek Movie and I decide that a statement made from the captain is kewl enough to get into the track. Now what's that 70% thing, and how do u know if I have the original or a copie

this topic has been covered many times here....

psy is such a teensy tiny genre, and reaches so few ppl, that you hardly need to worry about the feds busting down your door for copyright infringement.

if you plan on releasing the track with a major international label (ie - sony, aol/timewarner etc.) then yes, you must have the sample cleared with the appropriate authority.

you know ALL those movie samples you hear in psy?

NONE of them are legal.

who's going to sue a company that only sold 1000 units?

nothing to gain,... not economically viable.

:-)

im pretty sure there is a time limit.

i dont know what it is. but for discussions sake lets say 30 seconds. (again..i dont know the actualy time). if you stay under the time you dont need to get clearance.

this does not pertain to music...you cant use any sampled music...not even one note.

and there is a place to see where a lot of samples have been used.

http://www.sloth.org/samples/

you can search by source or by group. so if you want a list of groups and what songs and waht samples were used from the movie "matrix" then you put in "matrix" and it tells you what sample what group and what song.

but i will say this list is mostly for industrial music, it has other stuff as well but its mostly industrial. industrial has more sampled stuff in it anyways.