virus vs. nord

Guest shanti

hello,

just wondering how these two amazing synths compare? (have heard the nord sounds more 'digital')........... are there any outstanding features that distinguish the two?

thankyou for your time........

Guest Elysium Project

I do not think that the Nord sound more digital. Eventhough I tend to love the Nord I must say that the Virus is damn cool :-)

I think it's a matter of temperament... Where the Nord has some more "traditional" sounds (dont be fooled it is also cabable of making cool high quality tech sounds) the latest Virus has been build to please the tech producers and is therefore in my opinion the one that tend to sound more digital in a positive way. It can produce highly clean and unique sounds and is also able to produce "retro" sounds.

So now it's up to you to choose..Good luck :-)

Guest samantrabhadra

Well, I am getting ready to go up to Seoul now to buy a Nord Modular. My reasoning, as it is my first synth, is that with the modular you have an amazing range of possibilities... Juno, TB 303, Nord Lead, Moog, Arp, Anx-1, SH-101 in emulation, with the ability to custom design your own sounds, sequencers, etc. I would love to have a Virus as well, and I doubt that there is any way that the modular is going to emulate that. However, it is also a great tool for learning the fundamentals of sound synthesis, something essential, I think, for your future evolution in making psychedelic trance. Anyway, we will see what the results are...peace.

Guest shanti

EP, what do you mean by "tech", because i'm not into the new minimal, progressive psy-tech sound, and have been inspired to make music precisely because of my love for the magical goa sound!

Guest Jolly Roger

The Virus and Nord are both capable to produce all kind of analog sounds. There's no reason to say that in example Virus can only produce minimal sounds. All virtual analogs are based on same synthesis type so the diffirences are very minimal. I think it's best to buy a visit to a local music shop and try them out. It's almost same to let other people to choose a va for you than let other people choose your favourite food. It all depends on your taste.

I think I'll recommend Virus C and now on your favourite food is anchovy in tomato sauce.

Guest Elysium Project

Noone said that the virus only can produce "minimal" sounds. I said it's good at making "tech" sounds or maybe put better "si-fi sounds" or "futuristic sounds" :-)

shanti both machines are well suited for goa productions too.

I agree that both machines are cable of producing almost every sound you can imagine..it's all up to your programming skills.

I am using the modular and virus and I will warn you that if you do not have any or little programming experience the modular can be a very hard machine to start with. It's quite complex. The Virus is also not for "beginners" but is way more easy to program than the modular.

You should deffinently check out both machines in a store where you can try them out...it's the best solution before your decide what to buy.

i briefly (maybe 20 mins) played around with the nord at the shop today. yes it did make some cool noises...i admit...i spent a lot of time doing nothing but holding down 1 or 2 keys an slowly turning knobs and such. it sounded cool...but i wasnt sitting there going "holy crap i have to get this thing". but like i said...it was only 20 mins. i would really love the chance to plat around with the virus and especialy the microwave... but no store has either one. no one has them at all. and so far whenever i even mention them the guys in the store get all snippy...like theyre pissed off im asking about it. whats up with that? are they anoyed that i want @!#$ thats better than what they have in the store? and why would the idiot in the store try to show me a freaking electribe after i just asked about the virus???

ahem..sorry

i also fiddled with the karma....i hated it. i held down one key...one...and did nothing at all...and it played a whole freaking song for me....with breaks and builds and everything...whats the point of that?

Guest Jeto

lol.. thats probably the demo song...

yeh most shops dont have the Virus C on display...

specially Mars and Sam Ash..

well... I was wondering whats better for full on sounds..

nord or virus... I havnt had a chance to play the virus.. but nord looks and sounds promising... I know "Astrix" uses a virus and has killer sounds...

is that the sounds virus makes then thats just superb..

is nord good for "big sound" ... some of the typical sounds used in psytrance..

Guest jakemyth

Hi Shanti...........it's a tough choice. Both nice VA's, with very rich and detailed analog emulations.

As with many things synths r a personal choice.....mk will tell u nord and i'll recommend waldorf!! It's depends what sounds u r after and only u know that( I came to this conclusion by debating between a VA for about a year)

However don't b fooled by the presets in the shops........

How about rack versions of both??

Guest Mike Indidginus

Hi Shanti,

I've never used the Nord, but I own a Virus Indigo (I've said that a few times already, beginning to feel like a parrot) & it's great. Access have just brought out the Indigo 2 & KC. Both the Indigo & KB are no longer in production - hopefully I'll be able to flog mine as a collectors item a few years down the line! He, he - just kidding. I get too much use out of it to sell it. Anyway, here are the specs:

INDIGO-2

High quality, velocity and aftertouch capable, 37-key keyboard

Master-keyboard functions

Pitch bend, modwheel and two jacks for switch/expression pedals

Bright Aluminium side panels

Extremly bright blue LEDs and LCD.

Dimensions: 542 x 352 x 110 mm

Weight: 9 kg / 11.5kg w. packaging

32 knobs

35 buttons

69 BLUE LEDs

COMPLETE ENGINE OF VIRUS C:

32-voice polyphony and 16-part multitimbral capability

1024 programs [256 User / 768 ROM / 128 Multi]

32-voice polyphony with 16-part multitimbral capability

1024 programs (256 User / 768 ROM / 128 Multi)

Undo/Redo/Random features to defeat ”oops” and "writer's block"

4 oscillators per voice. 3 main plus one sub [when all oscillators are in use, polyphony may decrease, but not by more than 6 voices.]

Sawtooth, variable pulse, sine, triangle + 62 additional spectral waves

FM [Frequency modulation] with or without external Input signals

2 filters selectable as lowpass, highpass, bandpass or bandreject

4 filter configurations (serial/ parallel) for up to 6 poles [36 dB]

3 LFOs with 68 LFO shapes

Loop or Envelope LFO modes with midi clock sync

2 ADSTR envelopes [T=Time]

16 independent arpeggiators with numerous arpeggiator patterns and real time parameter access/modulation including swing & note length.

98 simultaneous DSP effects:

Reverb [w. pre-delay sync to MIDI-clock]

3-Band EQ per program/part [low/hi shelf + parametric mid]

Retro Phaser [6-stage stereo phaser with 24 filter-poles

Multiple independent distortion/saturation/Lo-fi FX per voice, including multiple distortion/shaper characteristics and variable gain.

Chorus/Flanger with rate sync to midi tempo

Simple or "Groove" Delay [preset polyrhythmic patterns]

32-band advanced vocoder

Ring Modulator

Analog Boost for true vintage tonal characteristics

2 Soft Knobs, individually assignable per program

Internal master clock that drives all arpeggiators, LFOs and delay times; automatic sync to external midi clock

Advanced Modulation Matrix with 6 source and 9 destination slots.

Complete control via MIDI (CC/Polypressure/Sysex) with "Adaptive Control Smoothing" for ultra soft parameter changes and no zippering.

MIDI Tempo sync capabilities for virtually every time-based parameter

Full 24-bit processing; 24 bit D/A, 18 bit A/D

6 individual high quality outputs

2 audio inputs to process your signals through synth filters, envelopes, FX, vocoder, FM, ring modulator, and more

Flexible "auxiliary" model of internal audio routing for processing/reprocessing internal/external signals through the synth engine and and effects of other voices

True Surround sound capabilities

Free SoundDiver Virus editor/librarian for Windows™ and MacOS™

Easy operating system updates via MIDI

VIRUS KC

High-quality, semi-weighted, velocity and aftertouch capable, 61-keys

Master-keyboard functions

Internal Power Supply

Pitch bend, modwheel and two jacks for switch/expression pedals

Real Wood side panels

Dimensions: 975 x 351 x 112 mm

Weight: 13kg, 16.5 kg w. packaging

32 knobs

35 buttons

69 LEDs

COMPLETE ENGINE OF VIRUS C:

32-voice polyphony and 16-part multitimbral capability

1024 programs [256 User / 768 ROM / 128 Multi]

32-voice polyphony with 16-part multitimbral capability

1024 programs (256 User / 768 ROM / 128 Multi)

Undo/Redo/Random features to defeat ”oops” and "writer's block"

4 oscillators per voice. 3 main plus one sub [when all oscillators are in use, polyphony may decrease, but not by more than 6 voices.]

Sawtooth, variable pulse, sine, triangle + 62 additional spectral waves

FM [Frequency modulation] with or without external Input signals

2 filters selectable as lowpass, highpass, bandpass or bandreject

4 filter configurations (serial/ parallel) for up to 6 poles [36 dB]

3 LFOs with 68 LFO shapes

Loop or Envelope LFO modes with midi clock sync

2 ADSTR envelopes [T=Time]

16 independent arpeggiators with numerous arpeggiator patterns and real time parameter access/modulation including swing & note length.

98 simultaneous DSP effects:

Reverb [w. pre-delay sync to MIDI-clock]

3-Band EQ per program/part [low/hi shelf + parametric mid]

Retro Phaser [6-stage stereo phaser with 24 filter-poles

Multiple independent distortion/saturation/Lo-fi FX per voice, including multiple distortion/shaper characteristics and variable gain.

Chorus/Flanger with rate sync to midi tempo

Simple or "Groove" Delay [preset polyrhythmic patterns]

32-band advanced vocoder

Ring Modulator

Analog Boost for true vintage tonal characteristics

2 Soft Knobs, individually assignable per program

Internal master clock that drives all arpeggiators, LFOs and delay times; automatic sync to external midi clock

Advanced Modulation Matrix with 6 source and 9 destination slots.

Complete control via MIDI (CC/Polypressure/Sysex) with "Adaptive Control Smoothing" for ultra soft parameter changes and no zippering.

MIDI Tempo sync capabilities for virtually every time-based parameter

Full 24-bit processing; 24 bit D/A, 18 bit A/D

6 individual high quality outputs

2 audio inputs to process your signals through synth filters, envelopes, FX, vocoder, FM, ring modulator, and more

Flexible "auxiliary" model of internal audio routing for processing/reprocessing internal/external signals through the synth engine and and effects of other voices

True Surround sound capabilities

Free SoundDiver Virus editor/librarian for Windows™ and MacOS™

Easy operating system updates via MIDI

As you can see, both have very similar specs. I chose the Indigo because I don't have much space (it's not a full-size keyboard), & because I dig the aluminium panelling ;)