Here it goes

Guest Mike D

Second round of help with the studio. Ok I am getting first a Pentium 4 with 512 megs of ram, 40 gig hardrive, cd burner etc. Don't know what soundcard to upgrade to, any suggestions? Also amd gonna get some softsynth programs, first Rebirth/Reason and some Native Instuments products and Cubase. Would it be possible to get the price from anyone in the US for these products, and I can send you the cash I save to buy them forme and post them? It is usually cheaper there than here, and I can't order on the net.

Tnaks for any feedback or suggestions. I want to eventually get a keyboard(hardware) but I think softsynth will be the way to go for a year or so.

Tnakyou.

Guest lifeform

check out these sites Mike D.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

http://www.zzounds.com

Those are the 2 best sites for us out in america.

Here's a quick run down though...

Cubase VST ussually goes for about 270 bucks... VST/32 around 500.

Native instrument progs are around 150-200 bucks.

Reason about 280 Rebirth around 130 same for recyle (130)

A GOOD soundcard will run you from 150-700 bucks. depending on how many input/outputs you want. Sounds like you wont be running any external gear for a while, so a Midiman Audiophile would probably do you go. Maybe get a Midiman Midiport 2x2 for when you get your controller. That runs for about 70 bucks which runs right thru you USB plug.

I hope this helps, but if your asking anyone to buy this @!#$ for you with the cash you send to them. Make sure you trust them very well, else you'll be a very unhappy camper.

What windows operating system are you gonna run?

Take care-

Guest Mike D

I was gonna run windows XP but not to sure, what would you reccomend? Also, if I buy Cubase, does it come with a manual? You are right, my sound card does not need to be th ebest and biggest as I will be running software mostly, but maybe 1 synth keyboard by the end of next year. Also want something I can run my stereo thru.My parents are gonna love me when I have this running hehe, they can barely stand the proffessional stuff as it is! Also, are the programs I am lloking at any god for other electronic music? For example, drum n bass.junbgle & Tribal/Progressive house? Hmm, it wil be lotsa hardwork for sure to earn to use these things well, but it will also be lotsa fun methinks :-)

See ya round :-)

Guest Mike D

I was gonna run windows XP but not to sure, what would you reccomend? Also, if I buy Cubase, does it come with a manual? You are right, my sound card does not need to be th ebest and biggest as I will be running software mostly, but maybe 1 synth keyboard by the end of next year. Also want something I can run my stereo thru.My parents are gonna love me when I have this running hehe, they can barely stand the proffessional stuff as it is! Also, are the programs I am lloking at any god for other electronic music? For example, drum n bass.junbgle & Tribal/Progressive house? Hmm, it wil be lotsa hardwork for sure to earn to use these things well, but it will also be lotsa fun methinks :-)

See ya round :-)

Guest lifeform

Well, XP is what i run right now, And i love it. It's just as stable as 98 or 2000, and it looks a hell of alot better. The only problem that you might encounter with XP is that you gotta tweak it alot to get your programs running smoothly. It took me about a month just to get everything synced at the lowest possible latency. I tell ya Midiman isn't doing such a good job with these XP drivers, though they still work. Programs that would be good for DnB, and all the others you stated.. Reason. It's got lots of good ReFills for these genres, and you can very easily import your own drum kits or create your own patches. And probably the best VSTi to get those really phat low subbasses for jungle and DnB would be Model - E. It never really good a big response to the masses but i got it free when i bought Cubase, some kinda steinberg promotion. But it's got really nice basses that sound PHAT not thin and blah like some programs reproduce. I never got reason to fill my low end, maybe that's just me though. Waldorf Attack is a nice drum program but you can't import your own sounds, though it does make very very nice trancy blippy kicks like logic bombs. Battery is good cause you can import a huge kit and program it out. Once you really get into this stuff you'll see that everything and anything is really possible! What you can do with sound now adays really blows my mind and i've been into electronic music for about 6 years now. If you really wanna get serious with your sound though, i'd really suggest getting some hardware. I know it's expenisve and you said you were planning on it. But it just makes the sound soo much more.. uhh.. real. Software has that software sound to it where ya gotta load it up with plugs just to get pumping and phat. Even if you just bought like a MS2000r or a microQ or a Jp8000. Just something to create sounds off real sythesis. Make your own effects and pads and load them in thru Halion or something. BTW... Halion is a VSTi sampler, i suggest waithing for NI Kontatk though, looks way better, but has a heavy price tag. Wow i wrote alot. I hope this all helps Mike D! IF you got any more questions i'm a pretty uhh smart guy when it comes to this stuff. Drop me an Email at Lifeformstudio@msn.com ...

What Brand computer are you gonna get? I'm sure you know this but stay away from compaq and HP. I have a Song Vaio, it's probably the best Windows running computer for studio applications, unless you get some computer for solely just music production. This things jacked up to it's fullest... Though i really wish i could put more than 512 mb of ramm on here.. I'd be nice to have over a Gig of Ram chugging this thing along! 1.5ghz too. Take care mike-

Guest nosferatu

Come to Russia =) CDs with such programs like: Cubase (last version), Reason, VST plugins and stuff.. costs ... eee... 2$ ! really !

yes but those softwares are downloaded from the net ..

those are not the fully software..

i bouth like a year ago a cd full of plugins .. a cd with softwares ..Cubase ..Rebirth..sound forge .. emagic audio platinum..and many more for just 1$.. :)))

Guest jakemyth

Hey Mike.........where have u tried here in melbourne?? I ask because i think the difference would not b that great and u if u bundle a deal(get evrything together) it will b cheaper........ ring around Melb first and get some quotes.........

PC's i don't know about price wise but there is a guy here who builds wicked systems for music full set up and all, so u could get it from him.

Cubase VST $560 aus VST 32 $1100

Reason$ 700

NI Battery $350 etc

If u buy gear from here, u will b able to ring up and get support at any time and when u r starting out, it can b more important than saving a buck

Hope this helps

Enjoy

Jake

Guest Mike D

There is a price difference on the MS2000 hgere and from the us of $1000 aussie! That is big, and it is from one of the above sites new!